We need a proven SEC coach

The Defiant

Lane Kiffin is NOT a proven SEC coach. If you want that, go get Mark Stoops. What Kiffin has proven to be is an immature dude who leaves every program he touches in ruins.

Nothing has indicated to me he’s grown up. So you’re essentially taking the guy who tanked the Raiders, started riots in Knoxville, got fired on the tarmac at USC, and got let go before his finale at Alabama.

Kiffin would be a Chizik - we’d compete for a natty in year 2 but by year 4 we’d be a disaster.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, AUDevil said:

What would you consider proven?  Taking a team who had not had a winning season in 4 years and achieving 10 wins in his 2nd year, plus 6-0 and ranked top 10 currently in his 3rd year is pretty good at a place like Ole Miss.  We hired Tuberville for accomplishing less.

At least an SEC champ appearance or a high prestige bowl win along with too recruiting classes. 

2 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

What is with this signing-your-posts stuff?  :blink:

Not sure.

Sincerely 

gr82be

Edited by gr82be
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We need a proven SEC coach

Well then, I present you with Dan Mullen, Will Muschamp, Kevin Sumlin and Les Miles.

All these are proven SEC head coaches that were winners at their previous schools, at least for a time. Other than these four, I don't have a name that is available to Auburn. Do you think Kirby or Saban will drop what they are doing and come here?

They left Meyer off that list. 

I am starting to think Matt Rhule will be available much quicker than we expect. That can throw a wrench in things.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am starting to think Matt Rhule will be available much quicker than we expect. That can throw a wrench in things.

If he’s obsessed with recruiting then he should get a serious look. Sugar Bowl 2 years after winning 1 game is no joke. 

Just now, woodford said:

If he’s obsessed with recruiting then he should get a serious look. Sugar Bowl 2 years after winning 1 game is no joke. 

I feel like he would almost have to be. He did some amazing turn arounds at Temple and Baylor. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I feel like he would almost have to be. He did some amazing turn arounds at Temple and Baylor. 

Looks like he was OL coach for the Giants one year. I’m sure he would know how to fix things. 

I’m intrigued. Far more than the usual names thrown around. 

• Like 2

You know, Michael John McCarthy or John Calvin Garrett might be good fits. They've coached in a dysfunctional organization. They would immediately mesh with Fabianich who would not have to be bought-out. They have given names worthy of an old, very passive aggressive, and judgmental portion of the fanbase. "Cowboys" might be close enough to defend against the, "they ain't from around here," and "them potato people just ain't a good fit" crowd.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

If he becomes available, I think he shoots to the top of each schools list.

3 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

They left Meyer off that list. 

It's my list, not a list by some "they". I left Meyer off because he's finished, done, kaput.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DAG said:

Number 1 on my list, with Deion and Freeze finishing out my top 3 in that order. After those, UK Stoops (not realistic IMO), Kiffin, Grimes, and Dell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Pet peeve on this site. If you don’t agree with something I say, tell me why. Maybe it’s the scientist in me, but there’s nothing more annoying than down votes with absolutely no critique or explanation. 

Have you read most of the critiques and explanations?   I promise they’re more annoying than a contextless thumbs down. 😁

13 hours ago, DAG said:

I certainly hope so!!!   He’s number one on my “list”.   He checks all of the boxes!    

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Pet peeve on this site. If you don’t agree with something I say, tell me why. Maybe it’s the scientist in me, but there’s nothing more annoying than down votes with absolutely no critique or explanation. 

So, to those of you who think Lane is a proven SEC coach… why? Has he had great defenses? Am I forgetting several marquee upsets of high ranked teams? How has he “proven” himself?

And to be clear, I’m not saying he won’t or can’t succeed. Just challenging the premise that he’s a “proven” success as an SEC coach. 

It’s simple!! And you’re a scientist???  He has proven that he can win 10 games at Ole Miss!   He currently has his team undefeated.   Besides Vandy and Mississippi State, I would say it’s the third or fourth hardest places in the conference to win at.  Not including vandy in anything,   Besides Kentucky and aTm,  I think it’s the only school that hasn’t played for a conference championship since that 1992 season.   

I think that qualifies as a proven coach.   

22 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

You’re a 5 star recruit and 5 coaches are in your living room

Saban

Kirby 

Kiffin

Freeze

Sanders

who are you going to listen to and who will leave a lasting impression?

Trick question.  You go with Harsin.  The man is a football genius.

Edited by abw0004

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Trick question.  You go with Harsin.  The man is a football genius.

The “ghost” in the room?

2 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

The “ghost” in the room?

Nah.  He is sitting in the kitchen because that's the Boise way and expects the recruit to come in there from the living room to talk to him.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Go ahead a see about Matt Rhule…he just got the axe. Proven program rebuilder at Temple and Baylor 

Perfect timing!!!!

Let’s fire Harsin right now!   Get Hartline signed before lunch and set up an interview with Rhule this afternoon.   Let’s gooooo!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Nah.  He is sitting in the kitchen because that's the Boise way and expects the recruit to come in there from the living room to talk to him.

I mean the ghost in the room was just him there in spirit 

• Haha 1