2022-23 Coaching Search Thread

Zeek

1a. Prime

1b. Freeze

3. Kiffin

That's my top 3. Could interchange Prime and Freeze. Prime because of his recruiting and ceiling. Freeze has proven he is a winner at the SEC level. Kiffin is also a great coach, but I just wish he recruited at a higher level. With that said, he may could recruit at a higher level at Auburn, plus the transfer portal.

50 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Does anybody know any of the buyouts for any of these coaches? Or what they are currently making?

Kiffin 7.5

Sanders .5 mil but donates all back to JSU

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Not getting Deion because he doesn’t want to be here is one thing. Him not coming because we don’t take him seriously is something entirely different 

Exactly, I can deal with Deion not coming here cause he demands 100M/year, wants to stick with his current team, or hates the color scheme (lol)

But if he doesn't come cause Auburn didn't try.... that'll make me pissy :lol: 

• Like 1

was ol miss supposed to be down this year and rebuilding? and their record is 8-1. with a great staff we could take over the world. and folks keep predicting sanders to do bad and yet look where he is, the shape the program was in, and what he has done in two years i believe? on game day many predicted sanders and company would lose and they stomped that team pretty muc. but is his son a senior? if not that would be the problem i would worry about most.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cctiger said:

Kelly is from Ozark, Al. Played for Coach Dye, and was the DC or DB coach for Fla.St. when they won the NC in 2013. Just saying, he's from the south. This is not a "plug" for him on my part.

Is CK a serious contender for hc at AU ?  

My cousin's wife used to baby sit Kelly.  She and my cousin are very good friends with CK's parents.  He would love to come to AU, BUT, the program has been in such turmoil that he is reluctant to even be considered.  I would love for him to be our next DC.  Who knows ?

1 hour ago, cctiger said:

Kelly is from Ozark, Al. Played for Coach Dye, and was the DC or DB coach for Fla.St. when they won the NC in 2013. Just saying, he's from the south. This is not a "plug" for him on my part.

I guess i was thinking Chip Kelly. My bad and thanks for the correction. 

So i just google who Charles Kelly is and he is the "associate defensive coordinator" at Alabama if the internet is accurate. Seems like a reach for next AU head coach. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, TheDob06 said:

Might be unpopular, but I can't get onboard with a Kiffin hire. He makes some head scratching in game calls (Auburn game last year as one example) and I don't think his recruiting is elite. On top of that, we'd have to pay a lot to get him and he hasn't sustained anywhere yet (leaves after 2 or 3 seasons). 

For the money, we're probably better off with other candidates.

Who would be able to recruit at an elite level at Ole Miss??? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Is CK a serious contender for hc at AU ?  

My cousin's wife used to baby sit Kelly.  She and my cousin are very good friends with CK's parents.  He would love to come to AU, BUT, the program has been in such turmoil that he is reluctant to even be considered.  I would love for him to be our next DC.  Who knows ?

ET, I have seen his name just mentioned a couple of times, but I don't think that he is a "serious contender" for the position. But then again, who really knows, we have been surprised and shocked in the past before by a couple of choices just like this latest AD hire. Cohen came out of nowhere.

Just now, GreenTiger said:

Maybe this Deion guy…but no Ole Miss is a state school, has access to regional talent, in the SEC, will spend money, they have resources, just not the winning tradition. The more they win and compete with the big boys the better their recruiting can be. 

3 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

It’s been done. Just have to willing to forfeit all the wins later.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I guess i was thinking Chip Kelly. My bad and thanks for the correction. 

So i just google who Charles Kelly is and he is the "associate defensive coordinator" at Alabama if the internet is accurate. Seems like a reach for next AU head coach. 

He's had a very slow rise to ADC/S coach at Alabama.  Pass for me.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

It’s been done. Just have to willing to forfeit all the wins later.

Yep and that guy still has more wins than Gus and Lane even post NCAA vacating some of those wins...

I like Deion and wouldn't be upset at all with him being our next HC. I think he would probably be the best 'immediate' recruiter. My main question would involve his choice for the OC & DC positions. Does he have any ties to proven P5 coordinators that would follow him? WDE

• Like 1

Now that the confusion between Charles Kelly and Chip Kelly has been cleared, I am putting my 2 cents in for Charles Kelly as our next DC.  He did well at FSU for Jimbo in defeating AU, plus he is an excellent recruiter.

CK's 247 recruiting profile: Charles Kelly, Safeties Coach (FB), Alabama Crimson Tide (247sports.com)

5 minutes ago, AU North said:

I like Deion and wouldn't be upset at all with him being our next HC. I think he would probably be the best 'immediate' recruiter. My main question would involve his choice for the OC & DC positions. Does he have any ties to proven P5 coordinators that would follow him? WDE

I think his current staff features OC and DC with NFL experience. I agree he needs to surround himself with experienced guys and it looks like he knows that too AND can do it. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Yep and that guy still has more wins than Gus and Lane even post NCAA vacating some of those wins...

I get it. I’ve had many a friend drink some one pretty. 

I’m going to say that I do not want Mark Stoops.  Talk about a boring hire.  I don’t care what he’s done at UK, he just seems dull to me, and I don’t think he would be able to recruit like we need

The NUMBER ONE most important thing is for Roberts to have convinced the boosters to back Cohen. Because after being assured that Cristobal was coming here last time, I'm nervous that we're just going to end up with Charles Kelly, if we can even get that. But if we can somehow get anyone else on the list Zeek posted, I'll be psyched!

Edited by AUwent

1 hour ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Not getting Deion because he doesn’t want to be here is one thing. Him not coming because we don’t take him seriously is something entirely different 

Agree 100%. 
He may say that he is happy where he is and I can respect that, but we can try. That would mean a lot. 
Auburn tried to get the Ark AD this past  week and failed. But they tried. So next they went after the MSU AD. 
It shows that we are willing to spend a lot of money and go after the best. 

Edited by gr82b4au

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

The NUMBER ONE most important thing is for Roberts to have convinced the boosters to back Cohen. Because after being assured that Cristobal was coming here last time, I'm nervous that we're just going to end up with Charles Kelly, if we can even get that. But if we can somehow get anyone else on the list Zeek posted, I'll be psyched!

Well Roberts did just fire Harsin so he is sitting pretty good in my book so far…

• Like 2