If Deion Sanders is Hired...

MaxCohen216

So, if Deion Sanders is hired...

1.  Great recruiting boost!!!  He's the hottest college coach besides Nick Saban, and it might not take him long to surpass Nick in that regard...

2. He has no major college coaching experience, so can he develop the 4-5* recruits he brings?  Not sure.

3. Can he be really TOUGH on the players, to bring them to their full potential, like Nick Saban and Kirby Smart can?  They can be very hard on a player and still go home and eat a good (if late) dinner with their family and think nothing of challenging a player to their very core of being a man two hours earlier.  Can Deion?

4. Deion, as much as I love him, needs an OC and DC who has extended SEC coaching experience.  Who would those coordinators be?

My picks: OC - Kendall Briles, DC: Will Muschamp.

Looking forward to your replies...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

1.  Great recruiting boost!!!  He's the hottest college coach besides Nick Saban, and it might not take him long to surpass Nick in that regard...

2. He has no major college coaching experience, so can he develop the 4-5* recruits he brings?  Not sure.

3. Can he be really TOUGH on the players, to bring them to their full potential, like Nick Saban and Kirby Smart can?  They can be very hard on a player and still go home and eat a good (if late) dinner with their family and think nothing of challenging a player to their very core of being a man two hours earlier.  Can Deion?

4. Deion, as much as I love him, needs an OC and DC who has extended SEC coaching experience.  Who would those coordinators be?

Doubt he would pick any of those guys to be his coordinators and I am not sure about needing SEC experience . We had two guys who had SEC experience who didn’t move the needle tbh. Let him bring in his own staff and give him autonomy like we did with our AD.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

The biggest question for me is can the fans, including the extreme opinions on this board, sit on their hands, keep their opinions silent, and give him time. My gut tells they are not capable. 

Edited by creed
  • Like 3

1.  Yes.  Recruiting will quickly reach all time highs!

2.  He and his staff that he assembles should be top notch at developing talent.   

3.  His approach seems to be different than the two you mentioned.  Think more Rodney Garner “tough love” approach as opposed to the “here’s the standard.  Get there or you’re gone and I don’t care” approach.  Also, Deion’s motivational speeches are incredible!   I want to run through a brick wall for him after one of his speeches!

4.  He will be able to bring in a top level staff.   Probably a mixture of NFL and SEC, with a few other sprinkled in.   And probably some names that aren’t on our radar.   

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

These questions couldn’t have been asked in the handful of other Deion threads?

This thread has had 3 good replies in less than 2 minutes, on an otherwise slow day.

I wish my fishing trips produced similar results.

Edited by MaxCohen216

4 minutes ago, creed said:

The biggest question for me is can the fans, including the extreme opinions on this board, sit in their hands, keep their opinions silent, and give him time. My gut tells they are not capable. 

I can be patient with him.  If he can establish a coaching staff that has SEC coaching and recruiting experience.

Just now, Auburn Tiger said:

If Deion is hired, I’ll do a backflip. And I don’t know how to do a backflip. 

Start practicing.  Because I think he will be hired, but that's just my opinion.

I'll go ahead and practice cooking crow otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The SEC west is as close the the NFL as it gets, now more than ever.

Deion's college coaching experience may be limited but, his experience in the NFL should not be taken lightly.

• Like 3

I wasn't a Prime fan until I did a few things.  I went out and looked up his speeches to his team. And today listened to this about Harsin and recruiting and once I heard  that recruits would flip that was a solid yes.  He has put together a good staff.  Ex NFL HC as DC etc.  He can do the job as he is more of a CEO and recruiter.  We need a recruiter.  I don't think Lane likes recruiting but we shall see...I don't think Freeze can pull them in...

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, icanthearyou said:

The SEC west is as close the the NFL as it gets, now more than ever.

Deion's college coaching experience may be limited but, his experience in the NFL should not be taken lightly.

And I think one of his main focuses in coaching is molding young men.   Therefore, I don’t think he would be interested in the NFL.   Just a thought.   I may be way off base with that.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

I wasn't a Prime fan until I did a few things.  I went out and looked up his speeches to his team. And today listened to this about Harsin and recruiting and once I heard  that recruits would flip that was a solid yes.  He has put together a good staff.  Ex NFL HC as DC etc.  He can do the job as he is more of a CEO and recruiter.  We need a recruiter.  I don't think Lane likes recruiting but we shall see...I don't think Freeze can pull them in...

I think:

- Deion "Don't make me tackle anybody"

- Lane Brain Kiffin

- Hugh "what's your number baby"?

Would all be great coaches.

Deion is "primed" to be the best recruiter in the history of college football.

Kiffin is about to hit his ceiling at Ole Miss.

Hugh is too interested in coeds.

It's Deion, Deion, Deion.  But can he be tough and hire a tough staff that can recruit?  I think "yes".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The 257th prime thread. Which says a lot by itself. Candidly, “it’s the easiest decision in the history of decisions”.  Seriously. Plus theres virtually no buyout. Dear lord.

But -it’s the luring him here part where the compelling. creative, brilliant part comes  in.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

But can he be tough and hire a tough staff that can recruit?  I think "yes".

Go take a look at the staff he has at JSU and take a look at their background.  A lot of people don't take a look and make assumptions...he has a decent staff now.

• Like 3

Just now, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Go take a look at the staff he has at JSU and take a look at their background.  A lot of people don't take a look and make assumptions...he has a decent staff now.

OK, fine.  I'm just wondering.  I agree, we are in for a good Deion hire, and a good rise to the top of college football.  Auburn.  Go Auburn with Deion.  And some good, experienced coordinators.

• Like 1

If Deon is hired, I would bet he brings his son in to play QB (Current JSU starter) and bring in tons of talent. Recruiting and the portal. He has built JSU from a a 4 win team in 2019 to 11 wins last year, and currently 8-0. Jackson State has won all eight of its games by an average score of 40-9. If you can bring the #1 recruit in the country to JSU...Imagine what could be accomplished here. 

Edited by TAYLORKEETON
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

The 257th prime thread. Which say a lot by itself. Candidly, “it’s the easiest decision in the history of decisions”.  Seriously. Plus theres virtually no buyout. Dear lord.

But -it’s the luring him here part where the compelling. creative, brilliant part comes  in.

Can there really be "too many" Deion threads...when we have had Gus and Harsin for the past 100 years?

Asking for a friend.

• Haha 1

Can y'all imagine the NEXT Deion-Saban Aflac commercial if Prime is hired at AU?

I can't wait to see it.  Deion will Kick Saban's ass if given enough time...

41 minutes ago, creed said:

The biggest question for me is can the fans, including the extreme opinions on this board, sit in their hands, keep their opinions silent, and give him time. My gut tells they are not capable. 

As long as Deion's teams don't long fundamentally worst from week to the next, I think most people will be willing to give it some time to mature.

3 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

If Deon is hired, I would bet he brings his son in to play QB (Current JSU starter) and bring in tons of talent. Recruiting and the portal. He has built JSU from a a 4 win team in 2019 to 11 wins last year, and currently 8-0. Jackson State has won all eight of its games by an average score of 40-9. If you can bring the #1 recruit in the country to JSU...Imagine what could be accomplished here. 

I’d be careful with this. Deion is very emotionally vested into jax st and the hcbu’s. He donates half his salary back to them.  He’s not your usual coaching mercenary. Leaving them high and dry and raiding their talent probably isn’t an option or a good look for him nationally. In fact, to get him, probably something reciprocal with jax st  (creatively) would have to take place.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

He's already been told this

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Was wondering this myself.  I don't know that I'd want him to just transplant his whole JSU staff over here but standouts for me:

Tim Brewster - TE (previously coached at Florida, UNC and FSU)
Dennis Thurman - DC (previously was DC for Buffalo, NY Jets and a position coach for the Ravens of the NFL)
Kevin Mathis - CB (previously coached HS with Prime, 9 years of DB experience in the NFL, played college ball at Texas A&M)
Jeff Weeks - DL (coached LBs for Buffalo and NY Jets in NFL)

That's not to say none of the others are worth having, just the ones that popped out to me.  I'd obviously like to keep Zac and Caddy on staff.  And one of these guys might be line to get the job at JSU if Deion leaves.  Sprinkle in a couple more big recruiters with SEC experience and I think we'd be in really great shape.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

This means that he has a deep network of coaches at all different levels and would be able to bring in some quality fits for AU

1 hour ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

He has 2 sons on the team 

QB Shaduer and S Shiloh

But i think that would be all that would trans with him if he came... 

14 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Was wondering this myself.  I don't know that I'd want him to just transplant his whole JSU staff over here but standouts for me:

Tim Brewster - TE (previously coached at Florida, UNC and FSU)
Dennis Thurman - DC (previously was DC for Buffalo, NY Jets and a position coach for the Ravens of the NFL)
Kevin Mathis - CB (previously coached HS with Prime, 9 years of DB experience in the NFL, played college ball at Texas A&M)
Jeff Weeks - DL (coached LBs for Buffalo and NY Jets in NFL)

That's not to say none of the others are worth having, just the ones that popped out to me.  I'd obviously like to keep Zac and Caddy on staff.  And one of these guys might be line to get the job at JSU if Deion leaves.  Sprinkle in a couple more big recruiters with SEC experience and I think we'd be in really great shape.

Can we just bring Trooper back to the plains