Mens Basketball schedule

gravejd

14 hours ago, jamaykans said:

Are all students allowed in games, even if the student section fills up? Or do they turn people away? Asking because I can’t make it to the stadium until 5:30 tonight.

@jamaykans After the student section fills up students then are suaeptable to Standing Room Only spots on the 2nd & 3rd levels. Once thise fill up, everyone without a ticket are turned away.

5 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

After our last stretch of games, even with the losses, we are UP to 18 in Kenpom. In many of those close losses we exceeded the anticipated metrics so we have been holding in the metrics. We moved up 10 spots after the win over Mizzou. 

Also up 8 spots in the all important Net rankings.

On 11/2/2022 at 9:51 AM, JwgreDeux said:

Looking at the schedule and the uncertainty around the timing and health of Westry, my preseason prediction is  21-9 overall and 12-6 in the league (not counting unscheduled tourney games). I do however think this team will build as the year goes on, barring injury, and be better built for tourney play. 

We are currently 19-9 and 9-6. Looking like we will likely finish 20-11 and 10-8 or so. Overall, the production of this team is close to what was expected. The way we got here is different from what I expected with Westry and Trahore having disappeared from the lineup. Moore at the four and Lior as a primary back up at the 3 were not expected and clearly not planned on by CBP.  That being said, I don't see how anyone looks at this group as underperforming or as a bad season. I remember the years where I would have loved to be a bubble team or even make the NIT. Our next three games are tough but we should be in each of them. Can we get one or two of them before the SEC tourney begins? Currently, most have us firmly in the tourney, but I would feel a lot better if we could get at least one more W because of the quality of the remaining opponents. 

I gotta say i'm a little disappointed in how this team has panned out. I'll agree that we probably got as much as we could out of this group. For that i think the coaching staff needs some kudos. We are a fringe tourney team with very few players that IMO would start for any other SEC school. Something to be said for that accomplishment. 

Now where my complaints come in is how the team was built and lack of improvement from players. I think Pearl made the conscious decision this offseason to go with the guys we have versus hitting the transfer portal. I think he was counting on several guys to step up and that just has not happened. I can understand why the decision was made but i think it turned out to be the wrong decision and its ok to call that out. And i think if you were to get Pearl off camera and give him some truth serum (serum may not be required....the guy is pretty honest even on camera lol) he would agree the team has not came together like he hoped. The decision to go with Westry at PG was a major head scratcher.  Tre had looked solid and we have Zep as an emergency option. The 2 spot has been a black hole for 2 straight years now. So we knew we needed help there, had a guy, and used him elsewhere. Would Westry season had been different had that been handled differently...we'll never know. 

So we are now in a position of being a fringe tourney team and then a complete rebuild for next season. We have a good 24' class on the horizon but very little to help for next season. A 5* PG will help and if that guy can play some 2 that is good but even if the guy can shoot coming in and playing the #2 spot as an undersized guard is not ideal with his running mates at the #1 is going to also be undersized. So next year we are looking at starting over at the 4, 3, and 2 spots assuming all the guys in the 1 and 5 spot come back. 

Pearl still has my 1000% support as AU head coach. But i am interested to see how he keeps from taking a big step back next season. Its going to take some fancy portal work to make it happen. We need multiple players that have mulitple years left so we can ease the transition to that 24' class. Don't want to rely on those freshmen playing right away. We got a little spoiled recently with Freshmen coming in and being major players immediately. As we saw this season is dangerous to rely on that. 

4 hours ago, gravejd said:

... I think Pearl made the conscious decision this offseason to go with the guys we have versus hitting the transfer portal. ....

Pearl did go after others in the transfer portal. One in particular was Stevenson (from South Carolina) who went to WVa and lit us up in Morganton. Pearl mentioned going after him following the game. How many others he went after (other than Broome), I have no idea

18 hours ago, akillshot said:

Pearl did go after others in the transfer portal. One in particular was Stevenson (from South Carolina) who went to WVa and lit us up in Morganton. Pearl mentioned going after him following the game. How many others he went after (other than Broome), I have no idea

He also got Westry and Donaldson. Prior to the season starting from the news and overseas trip, it appeared Westry was going to be a big factor in the guard rotation. Injury and how to work the rotation frustrated that plan, but lets not act like he didn't try to recruit other guards.