Coachs' Poll Is Out

LegalEagle

To whoever asked about the Big 10 tie breaker thing. The team that would go to the rose bowl (in years where it is not the BCS Title game) is the team that has not been in the longest time. So if Purdue tied with Michigan, Purdue would go.

172683[/snapback]

That is correct, but since the NC game will be played in the Rose Bowl, if both Purdue and Michigan were undefeated, I think Michigan would go since they would be the higher ranked team. That is assuming Purdue and Michigan were NOT the only two undefeated teams. :blink:

PS - I think Purdue is getting props because they do not play either Michigan or Ohio State. If they played either or both Purdue would not be ranked as high as they are.

The ranking at 15 is about right for Auburn going into the season, UT is going to crash and burn...again after such a lofty ranking. The BIG 10 has four teams in Mich., OSU, Iowa and Purdue that could run the table or they could be vastly overrated, it all depends on how the ball bounces. Purdue is getting the love because of a veteran team and coach coupled with so many close losses over the last two seasons; and the fact that they dodge the Luckeyes and the Wolverines. Gottfreid has OSU in the MNC game which I don't see because they play Texas,Iowa and Mich. SLink, do you think the Longhorns will beat OU this year?

About the whole Louisville beaing ahead of Auburn thing, you have to remember something. Louisville is in the weakest BCS conference there is. There is no reason they should even lose a regular season game this year. Go take look at their piss poor schedule, it is worse than USC's. It is also better to I think to start out ranked in the teens. Look at LSU in 2003 and LSU in 2004. In 2003 we went in at #16 and finished #1. In 2004 we went in at #3 and finished #16.

There is that subtle distinction between the polls being a reflection of how good you think the team is and where it will finish...Louisville should indeed run the table in the Big East. If they finish undefeated, they'll be around where Utah was last year (4 or 5). They will need a LOT of luck to finish in the top 2. Talent-wise, they're not top 10 material...but the schedule will allow them to finish there.

Ohio State and Iowa shared the Big Televen title in 2002...they did not play each other that year. Both of them got BCS bids, but that was due to both teams being ranked in the BCS top 4 (OSU went to the Fiesta Bowl, Iowa to the Orange Bowl). If that happens this year with, say, Michigan and Purdue, then I would imagine the BCS/Harris/whatever rankings might be used.

I think Tennessee is going to suffer a similar fate to what we went through two years ago...lots of expectations, but the schedule is going to get them. I don't see them losing 5 like we did, but they'd be mighty disappointed with 8-3 and I could see that happening.

As far as :au: is concerned, under the radar is not a bad place to be...I'm just ready for the damned season to start.

This whole UcheaT ranked in the top five is NUTS!!! Did I miss something in the offseason. Every poll has them ranked in the top five. If they finish in the top ten this year, I will be surprised. :lsu:

The teams like Lousville that play in creampuff conferences look great, but when it comes to Bowl season - fuhgettaboudit. After all their bitching and moaning at the end of last season ... look what happened to Cal. A total beatdown.

Now, having said that, let me disagree with myself immediately. :huh: I feel like there's a good chance Louisville could be the real deal. We all know Petrino's record. Am I glad we stuck with Coach Tuberville? Hell yes. But Petrino is no dummy.

So they can play patsies all year long, and then have one final great game at the end of the season and BAM! Look who's undefeated.

Good. I hope there's 13 undefeated teams at the end of next year. Let the stinking BCS deal with that.

WAR DAMN EAGLE! BAMA TOTALLY SUX! HURRY UP SEPTEMBER 3!!!!

The teams like Lousville that play in creampuff conferences look great, but when it comes to Bowl season - fuhgettaboudit.

172773[/snapback]

The Cards outlasted Boise St. in last year's Liberty bowl. They amassed +560yds of total (balanced) offense in the game. :blink:

I don't think that there is any defensive coordinator chomping at the bit waiting for the Cards to roll into town.

The teams like Lousville that play in creampuff conferences look great, but when it comes to Bowl season - fuhgettaboudit.

172773[/snapback]

The Cards outlasted Boise St. in last year's Liberty bowl. They amassed +560yds of total (balanced) offense in the game. :blink:

I don't think that there is any defensive coordinator chomping at the bit waiting for the Cards to roll into town.

172777[/snapback]

You're right about the Cards. It was CAL who received the schooling.

Everyone put up those kind of numbers against boise. Those were two teams that relied nothing but their offense and won games every week by the score or 83-69.

Everyone put up those kind of numbers against boise. Those were two teams that relied nothing but their offense and won games every week by the score or 83-69.

172815[/snapback]

I would like to be 24-2 over the last 2 seasons... :blink:

Guest Tigrinum Major

If we played in the Mountain West or the WAC or Conference USA or whatever, we would be better than 24-2. Do you really think Louisville or Boise State would be 23-5 in the SEC over the same span?

This message brought to you by the Glass Half Full Party and its affiliated partners.

If we played in the Mountain West or the WAC or Conference USA or whatever, we would be better than 24-2.  Do you really think Louisville or Boise State would be 23-5 in the SEC over the same span?

This message brought to you by the Glass Half Full Party and its affiliated partners.

172844[/snapback]

No. However a 24-2 record, anywhere, is nothing to sneeze at...

Okay, for the ten millionth time, why do the pre-season polls not reflect the finish of the previous season? ALL this poll reflects is speculation of what MIGHT happen, it has nothing to do what HAS been accomplished on the football field. That is, every week's poll reflects what teams actually accomplished...except the preseason poll What's the big deal? If you start the season #15 (instead of the #2 we earned on the field) we have to basically do what we did last year...beat 4 teams in the top 10 and go undeafeated JUST TO GET IN THE TOP 5! If you START @ #3 on the other hand, you can lose a game early, drop 7 or 8 spots and STILL make it into the top 5 with a loss. Not to sound melodramatic, but what is the football world thinking doing this every year. It's so intellectually dishonest it makes my hair hurt.

Archived