Coachs' Poll Is Out

LegalEagle

UT ranked #3 ?? I understand LSU at 6, and I see that VT is ranked 7. Good to know how much respect they're giving the teams we beat last year. :rolleyes:

I guess it's not so bad. We have an opportunity to climb up quickly, if we take care of business. Still, one set back can send us down the list, while other teams we OWNED last year get the luxury of starting higher up.

15. Auburn (13-0)

Points: 723. Final 2004 ranking: 2. Outlook: Tigers' best season in decades fell short of a national title, and now QB Jason Campbell, RBs Ronnie Brown and Carnell Williams and DB Carlos Rogers are gone. Little-used sophomore Brandon Cox takes over at QB, and although the receiving corps is experienced, the defense might have to carry the load early. Opens: Sept. 3 vs. Georgia Tech (ESPN, 8:45 p.m. ET).

Best season in decades? Well, it's the first SEC title we've won since 1989, but we DID go undefeated just 11 yrs ago. How 11 years is defined as 'decades' though..... :blink:

I guess it's not so bad. We have an opportunity to climb up quickly, if we take care of business. Still, one set back can send us down the list, while other teams we OWNED last year get the luxury of starting higher up.

I agree... 1 loss will set us back and we gotta push ourselves back up where teams like UT, when they lose will drop them back a lil and are still in the hunt.

..... The clock strikes 11pm... The nice ESPN Gameday graphics and animations start up... headlining the show, 'Auburn extends 15 game win streak with a dominating performance over Georgia Tech' ... Cox throws for over 200 yds, and the Predator records 5 sacks...

Well.. maybe it will go that way.

When are these dips**ts going to get it that it's unfair to start everyone in certain slots before anyone has played a game? At least the Harris poll gets that.

I just don't get this infatuation with Tennessee. I guess my skepticism comes from the only times in the past two years I've paid close attention to them and that was 3 pastings AU put on them. Last time I looked at the scoreboard and stats, AU had 31 first downs to 9. 38 MORE points (after the 34 earlier in the year) and about 6000 yards in offense. AU intercepted their freshmen phenoms about 25 times in the first game and in the SECCG, they were too scared to throw more than a 3 yard slant.

Note: Okay, part of the above is slightly exagerrated. :rolleyes:

My point is, these are the same guys coming back for Ucheat and now, all of a sudden, they're one of the top 3 teams in the country??? :blink:

My point is, these are the same guys coming back for Ucheat and now, all of a sudden, they're one of the top 3 teams in the country??? :blink:

172584[/snapback]

It's the schooling they got from :au: last season that should turn them into world beaters this season!

172584[/snapback]

It's the schooling they got from :au: last season that should turn them into world beaters this season!

172587[/snapback]

:ut: gets the early hype every year. Just remeber Fat Phil always finds a way to lose to somebody that is meaningless (i.e. Notre Dame, almost Alabama) and end up low in the rankings. Then pulls an upset out of his..........you know where (i.e AT Miami) and starts the new season ranked high again.

They are doing this to AU b/c we "lost so much" Every preseason thing I have seen always says the same thing, with the loss of......The TIgers will blah.blah.blah. We all know what talent is at :au: It is coming time once AGAIN for CTT and the guys to shock and amaze the nation. Everyone will see after this year that :au: football is for real!! We have reloaded as well as anyone.

If I remeber correctly, last year we started out at #17, so we got a little more respect this year. But what I don't understand is how we are ranked behind Louisville. Didn't they lose there starting QB from last year. He seemed like the best player on that team, and the offense ran through him.

They did lose Stefan LeFors to graduation...

But he shared some playing time with Brian Brohm who was one of the top quarterbacks coming out of high school.

Brohm looks to be a very good QB, who kept them in the game against Miami as a true freshman after LeFors was knocked out.

They say he is more talented than LeFors, but we'll see.

edit: I just found his stats from last year... 66-of-98 for 819 yards ...so he has shown he can be a good QB.

That ranking is about where I expected us to be with a loss to our whole backfield.... I'll take a #15...were not goin anywhere but higher anyways :big::au:

Guest Tigrinum Major
about where we were last year, right?

5 SEC teams in top 15, 6 ranked overall...that seems about right. 

when's kickoff?

172560[/snapback]

1/3 of the top 15 is SEC...but the conference last year and this year is weak. Give me a break.

While there are some very strong SEC teams(AU-UT-FL-GA) there are also some very weak SEC teams(Vandy-SC-ole miss-uat-MS ST-Ky). We are well represented in the top 20. Why is AU ranked so far below those teams we OWNED in '04? Who cares. I like sneaking up on 'em. :au:

OK, I have a question for you guys. In the Big 10, if Purdue and either Michigan or Ohio State goes undefeated which will represent the Big 10 as their league champion? Purdue does not play either Michigan or Ohio State.

If I were a betting man ... which I am ... I would put my money on Vick and The Hokies this year ... which I have. Their D is good, eye poke and all.

OK, I have a question for you guys.  In the Big 10, if Purdue and either Michigan or Ohio State goes undefeated which will represent the Big 10 as their league champion?  Purdue does not play either Michigan or Ohio State.

172642[/snapback]

I would bet whoever is the highest ranked would be my guess!! As stupid as that may be, but how else without them having a CG??

But he shared some playing time with Brian Brohm who was one of the top quarterbacks coming out of high school.

Brohm looks to be a very good QB, who kept them in the game against Miami as a true freshman after LeFors was knocked out.

edit: I just found his stats from last year... 66-of-98 for 819 yards ...so he has shown he can be a good QB.

172630[/snapback]

Brohm is the real deal...if UL can stop anyone on defense, they are going to be tough to beat. The have a lock to go to a BCS out of the Big East.

172630[/snapback]

Brohm is the real deal...if UL can stop anyone on defense, they are going to be tough to beat. The have a lock to go to a BCS out of the Big East.

172659[/snapback]

Brian Brohm has a good QB pedigree, his brother Jeff was a outstanding college QB and played 9 years in the NFL. U of L is the real deal, and look to be much improved defensively this year. I think that the Cards will be playing for the NC this year, IMHO.

:au:

Guest Tigrinum Major
While there are some very strong SEC teams(AU-UT-FL-GA) there are also some very weak SEC teams(Vandy-SC-ole miss-uat-MS ST-Ky). We are well represented in the top 20. Why is AU ranked so far below those teams we OWNED in '04? Who cares. I like sneaking up on 'em. :au:

172641[/snapback]

Big XII - Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Nebraska (now), Missouri

Pac 10 - Arizona, Washington, Washington St., Oregon, Oregon State

Big Ten - Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, Penn State

Big East - Everyone but Louisville

Conf USA - Everyone

ACC- Duke, Maryland, North Carolina, NC State, Wake

I would put any of ours agaisnt any of these and it would be a game. Don't say that the bottom SEC teams are that bad, they just look that way compared to their stronger conference mates.

I like our position. Right about where a 2-loss team ends up.

As for other teams:

Texas will lose 1-2 games.

Purdue is being billed as the "sleeper" NC pick by too many so they aren't a sleeper anymore and will lose a game at LEAST

Iowa will still lose 2 games this year.

To whoever asked about the Big 10 tie breaker thing. The team that would go to the rose bowl (in years where it is not the BCS Title game) is the team that has not been in the longest time. So if Purdue tied with Michigan, Purdue would go.

Archived