Dan Lanning

homersapien

41 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I’d take him over Hugh and a lot of the other lower tier candidates

Bring Bo and Dilly in too 

Just curious but why do you have him over Freeze?

I've mentioned Lanning to Auburn friends and they say "It was all Kirby's recruiting and defense at Georgia, not Lanning's." 

Back in 2013 when I wanted Kirby for our HC, the Auburn people said "It's all Saban's recruiting and defense at Bama, not Kirby's." 

When Kirby started out as HC at UGA, Auburn fans said "It's because he has Richt's players, that's why he is winning."

Now Auburn people are saying "The reason Lanning is winning at Oregon is because its Cristobal's players."

Seems to me Kirby is working out quiet well at UGA. Seems to me Lanning is doing quiet well at Oregon. 

We are currently tied for dead last in the SEC West. We ARE dead last in SEC recruiting. We aren't in any position to be nitpicking over crap when we have a possible shot at Lanning, Kiffin, Freeze and others. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Canzano: Oregon coach Dan Lanning not interested in Auburn opening

John Canzano

2-3 minutes

Columnist John Canzano on sports, Oregon sports, the Pac-12 Conference and more.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

Dan Lanning is 8-1 at Oregon in his first season. (Photo: Serena Morones)

Believe what you’d like, but I’m here to tell you that Oregon Ducks coach Dan Lanning isn’t interested in leaving Eugene.

Auburn fired football coach Bryan Harsin last week. The Tigers have hired a search firm. A writer at “Fan Nation” — part of the Sports Illustrated network — reported on Sunday that there was “mutual interest” between Auburn and Oregon coach Dan Lanning.

I promised that I would give you sourced, in-depth reporting here. Stuff you can’t get anywhere else. I can tell you whoever reported “mutual” interest didn’t bother to check with Lanning or his agent.

I did.

Lanning has zero interest.

Oregon’s coach may get restless at some point. He may hit a ceiling. Maybe he decides to leave Eugene one day, but that day doesn’t feel like it’s coming anytime soon. Remember, Lanning grew up in rural Missouri. His alma mater, William Jewell College, plays Division II football. This isn’t like the University of Miami calling on Mario Cristobal.

It’s not Chip Kelly to the NFL.

It’s not Willie Taggart, who barely moved his family to Eugene.

I wrote a column recently about Lanning. He’s put down roots. It feels like he’s just getting started. But don’t take my word. Take his. He’ll be asked on Monday.

Make sure you listen carefully.

I appreciate all who have supported, subscribed and shared my new, independent, endeavor with friends and families. If you haven’t already, please consider subscribing. Your support allows me to go where the stories take us.

Give a gift subscription

This is an independent reader-supported project, with both free and paid subscriptions. Those who opt for the paid edition are providing vital assistance to bolster my independent coverage. Please consider becoming a paid subscriber to have full access to all of my posts.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

John Canzano

2-3 minutes

Columnist John Canzano on sports, Oregon sports, the Pac-12 Conference and more.

Believe what you’d like, but I’m here to tell you that Oregon Ducks coach Dan Lanning isn’t interested in leaving Eugene.

Auburn fired football coach Bryan Harsin last week. The Tigers have hired a search firm. A writer at “Fan Nation” — part of the Sports Illustrated network — reported on Sunday that there was “mutual interest” between Auburn and Oregon coach Dan Lanning.

I promised that I would give you sourced, in-depth reporting here. Stuff you can’t get anywhere else. I can tell you whoever reported “mutual” interest didn’t bother to check with Lanning or his agent.

I did.

Oregon’s coach may get restless at some point. He may hit a ceiling. Maybe he decides to leave Eugene one day, but that day doesn’t feel like it’s coming anytime soon. Remember, Lanning grew up in rural Missouri. His alma mater, William Jewell College, plays Division II football. This isn’t like the University of Miami calling on Mario Cristobal.

I wrote a column recently about Lanning. He’s put down roots. It feels like he’s just getting started. But don’t take my word. Take his. He’ll be asked on Monday.

I appreciate all who have supported, subscribed and shared my new, independent, endeavor with friends and families. If you haven’t already, please consider subscribing. Your support allows me to go where the stories take us.

Give a gift subscription

This is an independent reader-supported project, with both free and paid subscriptions. Those who opt for the paid edition are providing vital assistance to bolster my independent coverage. Please consider becoming a paid subscriber to have full access to all of my posts.

Apparently Mr Lanning does not know how to get a raise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

I did.

The author of that article may very well be completely correct.  However, I doubt that Lanning (or his agent), would divulge any Auburn interest to an Oregon beat reporter, or any reporter at all.  That is like calling the CIA or DARPA to ask about UFOs at Area 51, and expecting them to say:  "Jim, we are glad you called.  We actually have recovered debris and bodies from multiple alien spacecraft, from 3 different alien species.  Please, just keep that between us, ok?"

If his agent does not at least flirt with Auburn, they are not doing their job.  Lanning has his team poised to grab a playoff slot, and that is the best time for an agent to negotiate a raise, or an even better contract somewhere else, like Auburn.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

I've mentioned Lanning to Auburn friends and they say "It was all Kirby's recruiting and defense at Georgia, not Lanning's." 

Back in 2013 when I wanted Kirby for our HC, the Auburn people said "It's all Saban's recruiting and defense at Bama, not Kirby's." 

When Kirby started out as HC at UGA, Auburn fans said "It's because he has Richt's players, that's why he is winning."

Now Auburn people are saying "The reason Lanning is winning at Oregon is because its Cristobal's players."

Seems to me Kirby is working out quiet well at UGA. Seems to me Lanning is doing quiet well at Oregon. 

We are currently tied for dead last in the SEC West. We ARE dead last in SEC recruiting. We aren't in any position to be nitpicking over crap when we have a possible shot at Lanning, Kiffin, Freeze and others. 

You said others when you should have said Prime Time

12 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

The author of that article may very well be completely correct.  However, I doubt that Lanning (or his agent), would divulge any Auburn interest to an Oregon beat reporter, or any reporter at all.  That is like calling the CIA or DARPA to ask about UFOs at Area 51, and expecting them to say:  "Jim, we are glad you called.  We actually have recovered debris and bodies from multiple alien spacecraft, from 3 different alien species.  Please, just keep that between us, ok?"

If his agent does not at least flirt with Auburn, they are not doing their job.  Lanning has his team poised to grab a playoff slot, and that is the best time for an agent to negotiate a raise, or an even better contract somewhere else, like Auburn.

The writer didn’t technically give a quote either....

1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Just curious but why do you have him over Freeze?

Hugh is pretty morally decrepit, and I’m pretty sure at a high profile job like this, he’d be a PR nightmare before long. Auburn is the last job that needs additional media negativity. Not to mention I don’t think his recruiting is anything massively impressive (excelled at OM back before everyone could recklessly pay recruits openly) and you can get offensive gurus plenty of places

I also just don’t think excelling in the SEC 6 years automatically equates to excelling in it now. The year where OM hit their peak (2015) was arguably the worst SEC in the last 12 years. He may not be a top half coach in this division, much less the conference, and that’s even if you do over-value his OM experience. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Dillingham is not a candidate for HC at Auburn.  I could see him following Lanning to AU as OC though.

You think he would come here after AU made so much fun of him as a non-OC ( what alot of people were referring to him as)?

4 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Dillingham is not a candidate for HC at Auburn.  I could see him following Lanning to AU as OC though.

I don't see either one of them coming to the SEC where they'd go up against the nation's top defenses nearly every week.  They are young, innovative and they are making a name for themselves while in the thick of it for the CFP at Oregon. 

31 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

You think he would come here after AU made so much fun of him as a non-OC ( what alot of people were referring to him as)?

Yes.  I'm not sure why your reasoning would even play into his decision.

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

Little bit of a gamble, but I like his resume. 

https://duckswire.usatoday.com/lists/dan-lanning-kenny-dillingham-named-potential-candidates-for-auburn-head-coaching-vacancy/

I think he would jump at the chance and he sounds like someone who would stick.

You say he is a little bit of a gamble but I applaud you. Unlike those that are pulling for the high school coach Deion and don't think it's a gamble at all.  By the way I like his resume also but do not like his OC at all.

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

I don't see either one of them coming to the SEC where they'd go up against the nation's top defenses nearly every week.  They are young, innovative and they are making a name for themselves while in the thick of it for the CFP at Oregon. 

The flip side of that is how much do they enjoy coaching in mostly empty stadiums on Pacific Coast time while most of the nation isn’t watching. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

Exactly. Oregon has to be many orders of magnitude more appealing right now in terms of quality of life and ability to be a coaching success. They're bringing in top ten recruiting classes out there so obtaining talent isn't a huge concern either. It is one thing to leave for Miami in the ACC but an entirely different animal to enter the sec west at this current juncture. Id be shocked.

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi

I mean zero disrespect to those who are in favor of hiring Dan Lanning.  Maybe you have some insight that I do not.  However, this just seems like it would be a total JABA hire.  Several schools in our conference swing for the fences and go out and hire big name coaches.  Hell, LSU actually hired a coach away from Notre Dame!  We are the most appealing open job in the country this year and what do we consider?  We consider hiring somebody who has spent one year at Oregon.  I'm not saying he isn't good.  However, Auburn fans need to ask themselves, if Saban were to retire this year, would Alabama go out and hire Lanning.  I think that answer is an emphatic no. 

50 minutes ago, miscram6 said:

I mean zero disrespect to those who are in favor of hiring Dan Lanning.  Maybe you have some insight that I do not.  However, this just seems like it would be a total JABA hire.  Several schools in our conference swing for the fences and go out and hire big name coaches.  Hell, LSU actually hired a coach away from Notre Dame!  We are the most appealing open job in the country this year and what do we consider?  We consider hiring somebody who has spent one year at Oregon.  I'm not saying he isn't good.  However, Auburn fans need to ask themselves, if Saban were to retire this year, would Alabama go out and hire Lanning.  I think that answer is an emphatic no. 

I get the rationale, but I don't think it's even slightly realistic to compare the guys Alabama should be able to get to the guys we should be looking at. 

22 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Well, I think that officially takes Lanning off the table.  Not too disappointed, myself.  Never considered it plausable anyway.  I had him at #5 on my list.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I agree that Lanning is an appealing up and comer in coaching. But I think it’s way too early to compare him and Kirby. Kirby played at Georgia, coached for 16 years with stops at UGA, FSU, LSU, and 8 years at Bama including 7 years as DC. He knows every HS coach by name in the state of Georgia. Lanning is from Missouri and played at William Jewell college, with 3 years as a DC at UGA. He inherited a roster of highly rated recruits including a senior QB at Oregon. He is enjoying early success in a weak conference, after a 49-3 beat down in his debut. I just don’t think he’s the pack leader with his current resume, but we will see. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, roe4christ said:

Well, I think that officially takes Lanning off the table.  Not too disappointed, myself.  Never considered it plausable anyway.  I had him at #5 on my list.

No it doesn't 🤣 what else was he supposed to say? Yeah Auburn talked to me what of it if I leave I leave... Lol 

I don't think he is coming here but what he said doesn't mean crap lol. 

Edited by autiger88
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

John Canzano

2-3 minutes

I did.

Give a gift subscription

"I am not going to be the coach at Alabama"...Nick Saban 

Coaches always tell reporters what their thinking. 

Guest MustardSeed
17 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

It doesn't pass the common sense test and not a single AU beat writer is discussing it from what I've seen.  Roberts/Cohen aren't staking their careers on Dilly Dilly.

This can only prove Dilly is a top candidate 🤣

Typical Crepea brnig up *yellow tag*.  You have to love (NOT) the media.  Auburn needs to separate from that narrative.

I see no reason why Lanning would take the AU job at this time. It simply doesn't make any sense from his standpoint. His statement makes more sense than any of the speculative "reasons" make.

• Like 1