Elephant in the Lane Train Room

AUght2win

7 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

I mean considering the success over the past 3-4 years surely he has had at least one interview right?

Freeze discussed this on a podcast last week.  He didn't say he interviewed, but did say his agent has been contacted numerous times over the past few years and he told him he wasn't interested in the particular schools.  (He didn't name names, nor should he). Freeze said he's not sure if it was just "feelers" or if they had him high on the list, but he said more than one school has contacted his agent.

Freeze said he has a "list in his mind" of the jobs he would take.  The main thing is it has to be a "college town" because he is not "a big city guy."  He didn't mention conferences, but SEC is king and there's no doubt the SEC would excite him. And Auburn fits the bill perfectly for a "college town."  Freeze would take it in a second.

Remember, AU will probably be the only SEC job open this year (and if one does come open, it won't be any of the major schools).  So there will be no competing with both Florida and UT like AU had to do in 2020.

6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

This is a great video. Illustrates why Lane is Lane and it will eventually crumble for him wherever. 

The guy won’t light a Christmas tree in Oxford, MS. He’s paid millions of dollars to basically be the face of the school and just straight up won’t do that aspect of the job. Shows a lack of maturity and a lack of respect for people. It WILL catch up with him like it always has. Even at Ole Miss. 

correct , I am not saying Lane wouldn’t be successful here , but don’t expect him to go out of his way to do those Auburn things. Something to consider , especially with Fit. In fact , out of all candidates , I believe Grimes and Freeze both lead in the mold of “fit.”

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AUght2win said:

https://twitter.com/aidangallard0/status/1586733843888971783?s=20&t=TLPtCTKBoMgO1SBfQe1Y2g

This is the guy. I just don’t see it. But I’ll shut up - everybody knows my stance.

He’s still definitely a way more safe bet than Harsin was or many of the serious candidates from prior searches.

Just wait till you hear what the players say to each other 

9 hours ago, AUght2win said:

He wrecked the Raiders. He wrecked Tennessee. He wrecked USC. He single-handedly cost Alabama a national title. The only program who’s escaped unharmed has been FAU. Kudos to them. 

How did he wreck UT and Southern Cal? He cost Bama a title? lol how?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, woodford said:

Some people will exaggerate to the highest levels to support or tear down candidates as necessary to make their case. 

10 hours ago, AUght2win said:

The timeframe isn’t the issue it’s the refusal of personal growth. If after the Raiders, Tennessee, and USC he had said “you know what? I’m the problem and I’ve got some things to change” then maybe I’d have a different opinion. 

But he’s the exact same guy. He GOT FIRED before a NATIONAL TITLE GAME at Alabama. He couldn’t even cleanly finish what was inarguably his best coaching stint. 

The dude is who he is. Accept it.

If you can't see some growth/stability since USC, then I can't help you.

3 hours ago, woodford said:

Just wait till you hear what the players say to each other 

That’s fine they’re all 18 year olds. Little different when a coach cussed out an opposing player.

2 hours ago, The Freak said:

If you can't see some growth/stability since USC, then I can't help you.

Give me an example. This whole thread nobody has. Purely wishful thinking on your part. 

3 hours ago, woodford said:

Are you serious? I guess this is my problem with this camp. You guys want to give lane 100 million dollars and you don’t even know the guy’s history. 

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Some people will exaggerate to the highest levels to support or tear down candidates as necessary to make their case. 

This explains a ton about how people can talk themselves into Lane. Y’all literally just don’t know his background.

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

This explains a ton about how people can talk themselves into Lane. Y’all literally just don’t know his background.

I’m not advocating for Lane. Every candidate named has risks and reward. I’m well aware if his risks. But to deny his reward potential and discount his resume is ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Are you serious? I guess this is my problem with this camp. You guys want to give lane 100 million dollars and you don’t even know the guy’s history. 

“With this camp” lol nice deflect

If it’s such a simple explanation then let’s hear it. 

9 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m not advocating for Lane. Every candidate named has risks and reward. I’m well aware if his risks. But to deny his reward potential and discount his resume is ridiculous. 

Then what’s an exaggeration about saying Lane cost Alabama a national title by getting fired right before their close loss to Clemson in the NC game? They lost by 4 points and struggled on offense. Without that disruption and with Lane calling plays for that game, they very likely win.

LK’s tenure in Oakland was an infamous spectacle - including a 76 yard field goal attempt in a game. Al Davis held a press conference to talk about how much he hated Lane and how awful he was for the organization. At his next gig, LK left Tennessee after a year, when they were very much on shaky ground. It pushed the program into an abyss. Then finally, he bottomed out USC and got canned on the tarmac with extreme prejudice. As soon as he was jettisoned, the season immediately turned around.

There’s just a mountain of evidence he’s a disaster artist. If you’re okay with it, you’re okay with it. But don’t say it isn’t there.

“With this camp” lol nice deflect

If it’s such a simple explanation then let’s hear it. 

Just gave one ^. But it says a lot that you need it. Lane’s reputation for the last 10 years has been dog water.

Give me an example. This whole thread nobody has. Purely wishful thinking on your part. 

You won't see it.  So, no thanks.

23 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Then what’s an exaggeration about saying Lane cost Alabama a national title by getting fired right before their close loss to Clemson in the NC game? They lost by 4 points and struggled on offense. Without that disruption and with Lane calling plays for that game, they very likely win.

LK’s tenure in Oakland was an infamous spectacle - including a 76 yard field goal attempt in a game. Al Davis held a press conference to talk about how much he hated Lane and how awful he was for the organization. At his next gig, LK left Tennessee after a year, when they were very much on shaky ground. It pushed the program into an abyss. Then finally, he bottomed out USC and got canned on the tarmac with extreme prejudice. As soon as he was jettisoned, the season immediately turned around.

There’s just a mountain of evidence he’s a disaster artist. If you’re okay with it, you’re okay with it. But don’t say it isn’t there.

So, Nick Saban (greatest HC of all time) needs Lane Kiffin to win a title? Sounds like we should hire him lol

Is that the same Al Davis who ran a mediocre franchise (SB's were won when Lane was a kid) and drafted Jamarcus Russell when Lane specifically didn't want him? lmao The Raiders have sucked for decades now. 

If he were such a disaster artist Saban would've fired him pretty quickly and he wouldn't have found his way back into the SEC. You can hate him all you want and he's not even in my top 3 but the lying is just silly. You're harking on things that happened during the Obama administration. Seems like a stretch imo

Edited by woodford
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Freak said:

You won't see it.  So, no thanks.

There is nothing more lame than someone balking when they’re asked to explain their ideas. You don’t need to be commenting on this thread if you can’t back up your claims. 

So, Nick Saban (greatest HC of all time) needs Lane Kiffin to win a title? Sounds like we should hire him lol

Is that the same Al Davis who ran a mediocre franchise (SB's were won when Lane was a kid) and drafted Jamarcus Russell when Lane specifically didn't want him? lmao The Raiders have sucked for decades now. 

If he were such a disaster artist Saban would've fired him pretty quickly and he wouldn't have found his way back into the SEC. You can hate him all you want and he's not even in my top 3 but the lying is just silly.

“Lying” lmao. I’m dead serious when I say you’re hilariously ill-informed. You have absolutely no idea what you’re talking on. 

"Lane KIffin is such a disaster that Alabama needed him as OC to beat Clemson in 2016. He is that bad!!" 

“There’s no way losing your offensive coordinator a week before a national title game could have a negative impact on your team’s performance!”

I’ll say this

Those of you wanting to hold Lane Kiffin accountable for his past are the same ones that want those of us against Hugh Freeze to do just the opposite, it’s a double standard.

LK did not wreck USC , that would be Pete Carrol. When he accepted the job they were not on probation and had full scholarships available they got hit with reductions within his first month or so.

The raiders were already a Sh!?show before he got there and he definitely should not have been a NFL HC at that time. ( Who hires a college OC to a NFL HC, that alone tells you how dysfunctional the raiders were/are) .

He did indeed leave Tenn high and dry for his dream job. I wonder how many here would not do the same?

He got “fired” from UAT because he was trying to recruit coaches to fill his staff at FAU and lil Nicky got pissed. 

At FAU he was very good, at Ole Miss he took over from Matt Luke and is doing quite well. Other than rumors and tweets what else is there about LK? Did anyone see the post to those questioning LK’s maturity from Titan Tiger?

HF almost got Ole Miss the freaking Death penalty by cheating, not “just paying players which is legal now” but also knowingly allowing players who were academically ineligible to play in games. I could care less what is legal now or not, in 2012-2017 it was not.  What is worse, in 2014 he was chose as the Grant Teaff coach of the year by the FCA while he was cheating on his wife with prostitutes. 

HF got his second chance at Liberty where he is doing well, got a good paycheck  and could probably retire from there. He does not deserve the keys to Auburn.

Wonder why he never gets interest from other major football programs? I think someone stated West Virginia was but I don’t see that anywhere. 

Reply however you want, this is how I feel about the situation.

Edited by tbone4jc

I can’t give anyone that type of contract when he has not led his team to an SEC title or Playoff…that money is reserved for more proven HC’s

• Like 1

So if he leaves Ole Miss for AU, he will have taken over a program right off probation and led them to back to back 10 win seasons. Leaving them in much better shape than when he arrived. Therefore breaking his streak of leaving programs in an abyss. Problem solved, and proving that Lane has matured. 

Edited by Gowebb11

“There’s no way losing your offensive coordinator a week before a national title game could have a negative impact on your team’s performance!”

Yes, but they chose to lose him, not the other way around. It was just a bad move by Saban, that Bammers have tried to blame on Kiffin ever since.

7 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Yes, but they chose to lose him, not the other way around. It was just a bad move by Saban, that Bammers have tried to blame on Kiffin ever since.

You understand he didn’t do it for strategic purposes, right? Saban felt Kiffin was being so unprofessional and was so distracted with his upcoming FAU job that he was actually hurting the team. Saban has never done anything like that before or since - which should tell you about how bad Lane must have been.

Lane deserved to be fired and he was.

Edited by AUght2win