Elephant in the Lane Train Room

AUght2win

Lane has changed a lot in the last two years.  He is much more grown up now. A lot of the poor influences are no longer around him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Lane has changed a lot in the last two years.  He is much more grown up now. A lot of the poor influences are no longer around him.

Could you elaborate on the poor influences?

40 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Certain individuals, certain vices.

45 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Certain individuals, certain vices.

In other words NO he cannot elaborate any further or he will kicked off the street. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Like Bird, Red, and Golf. Geez 

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

For the record I don’t think Dabo is going anywhere. Not even Bama. But these coaches are still human beings with personal wants that we don’t know about. 

Maybe he wants to get back close to family in Birmingham. Maybe he and the Clemson brass have started to sour in their relationship and he needs a fresh start. Maybe he sees the changing landscape of CFB and realizes he needs to be at an SEC school ASAP - and Auburn is without a doubt the best one open.

Worst he can say is no.

The only place I could see him leaving Clemson for is Bama, whenever Saban retires, but I don't think he would. I also don't think he should. He's got a great thing going at Clemson. At Auburn, he wouldn't have the lenience for a down year or two as he's already bought at Clemson, and while yes, historically, Auburn is the better job, it's not a huge step up from Clemson by any measure. At Bama, he'd be in the position of following a legend, and that rarely works out particularly well.

And I don't know why he'd need to be at an SEC school. Best case, playoffs expand and the SEC can get up to 4 teams in for any one season... but that still leaves a really tough gauntlet to get through, whereas the ACC is part of the P5, too, and thus likely to put at least 1, with a much easier schedule. Let's also not forget that Clemson has basically the same draws to it as Auburn does, plus a lake that isn't half an hour away, and the in-state rival isn't in the midst of its second dynasty of unmatched proportions.

However, if he was looking to make a move to the SEC ASAP, then you're right, Auburn would be the best landing spot for him. It's the only traditional conference power job that is likely to be open for the next couple of years (at least).

23 hours ago, AUght2win said:

And? Do you want the next coach at Auburn to have 1 good year and then burn the place to the ground? 

If you could go back in time and make the decision, would you not hire Chizik for AU? Do you think LSU wouldn't hire Orgeron?

I'd take both of their coaching stints in a heartbeat. National championships are hard to come by and very special. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cbo said:

If you could go back in time and make the decision, would you not hire Chizik for AU? Do you think LSU wouldn't hire Orgeron?

I'd take both of their coaching stints in a heartbeat. National championships are hard to come by and very special. 

I don’t really give either of those credit for their NC. LSU was Scheme and QB, AU was QB.

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I don’t really give either of those credit for their NC. LSU was Scheme and QB, AU was QB.

I get that. Obviously, neither are great HC's. 

But the HC typically gets the credit or the blame. At least in the context of this conversation. They assembled the assistant coaches, the staffs that recruited the players, etc. However they got to a NC, they got one. 

To put it another way, if you guaranteed me now that there is a coaching candidate we can get that will go 8-5, 14-0 with a NC, 8-5, and 3-9, I would sign up immediately. I'm sure many disagree. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Neither of those two statements are true. 

3 hours ago, DAG said:

You and others have been saying this repeatedly. Majority of the people do not care. 

And it's insane.

"Sure he may have a restraining order against him, but he's a winner, Pawwwwl".

Liberty is a small fish who is currently beating other small fish and has had the fortune to beat two struggling Power 5 schools. As impressive as that is, no one is looking to drag little ole Liberty's athletic programs and their coaches. Auburn on the other hand would not be so lucky... perhaps if we were an Ohio State or an Alabama... but the media and our rivals will care then.

I get that ethics can get a little grey in this business. I'm not that naive. But Freeze has shown that he is bad at calculating his risks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

And it's insane.

Liberty is a small fish who is currently beating other small fish and has had the fortune to beat two struggling Power 5 schools. As impressive as that is, no one is looking to drag little ole Liberty's athletic programs and their coaches. Auburn on the other hand would not be so lucky... perhaps if we were an Ohio State or an Alabama... but the media and our rivals will care then.

I get that ethics can get a little grey in this business. I'm not that naive. But Freeze has shown that he is bad at calculating his risks.

I had not read about a restraining order. Thats a new one for me.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

What demonstrates this? It certainly isn’t what he presents to the public. 

19 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I had not read about a restraining order. Thats a new one for me.

Ms. Andrews would probably have a case, but no, there is no active restraining order. I was just being a bit facetious. 

Quote: Why is the head football coach at Liberty University DMing me during and after my lawsuit with LU?

At almost midnight. When I didn’t tag him.

& I haven’t responded to the other DMs he’s sent over the months

Publicly naming so he can see that I don’t want direct contact w/ him

The next time Freeze loses his rocker, the next person might actually seek legal action. I'm sure that'll be a good look.

1 hour ago, cbo said:

If the choice was Chizik and the events that followed - or a single coach that I was told would guarantee an average of 10 wins per year - I’d probably take the 10 win guy. Because that means we likely have multiple SEC titles and a natty in there somewhere anyway. 

Auburn should be what Clemson has been for the last 10 years. That’s the goal. I’m not devaluing Chizik’s title or the runner up his tenure set Malzahn up for. But it isn’t ideal to have a cycle of: mediocre, have a high, mediocre, and the a crash every four years. There isn’t enough good football in a cycle like that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

They both won a NC regardless. I will take ours & the Heisman! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

If the choice was Chizik and the events that followed - or a single coach that I was told would guarantee an average of 10 wins per year - I’d probably take the 10 win guy. Because that means we likely have multiple SEC titles and a natty in there somewhere anyway. 

Auburn should be what Clemson has been for the last 10 years. That’s the goal. I’m not devaluing Chizik’s title or the runner up his tenure set Malzahn up for. But it isn’t ideal to have a cycle of: mediocre, have a high, mediocre, and the a crash every four years. There isn’t enough good football in a cycle like that. 

We agree on the goal and that AU should strive for the best, because we can reach it with a few right moves. 

But new coaches are a crapshoot. Of course, I would take the 10 win guy who also won a NC along the way. Or Clemson's success. But that's not the question. 

I'm not trying to be a downer on AU, like some on here that think we are a bottom tier program. 

But the reality is a NC is rare and special, even for good programs. So I'd take that one amazing season, even if it's surrounded by a couple years of mediocrity and one absolute failure. Just playing the odds, that's better than we are likely to get in the next 4 years. 

5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

What demonstrates this? It certainly isn’t what he presents to the public. 

What exactly has he done while at OM?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

And it's insane.

No , if you win , nobody will care. The only people who care are the same annoying posters who just don’t want freeze. I mean look at what you are saying now? Two struggling power 5 programs ? Small fish ? Haha. I mean Jackson state is doing the exact same stuff , but you wouldn’t say that  about them beating up on other small fish.

They destroyed BYU Yet I am sure you would be happy with grimes. Why did BYU beat Baylor and hold them to twenty points? But you would over look that. Arkansas ran all up and down the field on us, now you want to discredit liberty for beating them. 

This is why I can’t stand some fellow Auburn fans because a few of y’all are just full of it, including yourself.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Ms. Andrews would probably have a case, but no, there is no active restraining order. I was just being a bit facetious. 

Quote: Why is the head football coach at Liberty University DMing me during and after my lawsuit with LU?

The next time Freeze loses his rocker, the next person might actually seek legal action. I'm sure that'll be a good look.

So you lied. There is no restraining order. Again, you are full of it. Just manifesting stuff. If his wife, family, church, institution and God has forgiven him, that is good enough for me. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 1:28 PM, AUght2win said:

Here’s all I want to know from pro Lane people - has there ever, in CFB history, been an example of a guy who imploded at a previous stop but still went on to a consistent, long, successful career at a big job? 

Chizik - Imploded at ISU and later at Auburn. 

Orgeron - Imploded at Ole Miss and later at LSU.

Muschamp - Imploded at Florida and later at South Carolina.

Jimbo - Imploded at FSU and is currently imploding at TAMU.

Lane - Imploded at USC…

Seriously, how are people not concerned about this? Could he be successful at Auburn? Sure.

But it would defy a repeatedly tried precedent in CFB’s long history.

Yes he imploded at USC but he is not imploding at Ole Miss.

If lane Kiffin is worth 10 million at market value , whatever, but we better be seeking multiple national championships. Not the occasional SEC championship and potential appearance. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Gotcha, so just a little misinformation to add weight to your point. I don’t support his activity on social media to support his boss at LU, but he is entitled to his opinions. Nothing he has done in the past should have taken that away. One lesson to learn though about being active on social media. Open for all to form opinions about what you put out there. Hope he has learned that.