Carnell Williams is the right man at the right time

Barnacle

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

I know all the reasons why Carnell likely will not be Auburn’s head football coach in 2023, but he is exactly what Auburn needs right now. Exactly what I would imagine these players need right now. If you want to know what people are referring to when they talk about “fit” at Auburn, all you need to do is watch this video. When you hear people talking about what makes Auburn special, or Auburn selling itself, this is it. I didn’t post this to demonstrate why Cadillac should be our permanent head football coach. Rather, it demonstrates what so many people feel about Auburn, why Auburn is a great place to come coach, and what I believe the next head coach must embrace to be successful here. 

I do think that any new coach that doesn’t strongly consider what caddy has done and what can he can contribute, and doesn’t find a strong role for him to continue his coaching career progression. It’s a red/yellow flag on reading a situation and a culture.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

I do think that any new coach that doesn’t strongly consider what caddy has done and what can he can contribute, and doesn’t find a strong role for him to continue his coaching career progression. It’s a red/yellow flag on reading a situation and a culture.

It would be an enormous mistake not to retain him. 

• Like 9

I need to see what happens this weekend to really have an opinion on Caddy being head coach.  That being said if Auburn comes out and looks good the next couple weeks I’d be 100% for Coach Caddy.  He’d check a lot of boxes.

There would be a severe fan backlash against any coach that doesn’t retain Caddy.  

• Facepalm 1

Auburn needs to retain him at all costs no matter what the position is.   Kenny Howard gave me some great advice when I was at Auburn and about to graduate - he looked me right in the eye and said "You don't learn anything unless you are in over your head."  I've taken that advice and have applied it ever since.  RIP Coach Howard!

Caddy isn’t ready. And I LOVE Caddy. He needs to be retained. But we don’t need to talk ourselves into a huge mistake at a very vulnerable time. 

We’ve got a bajillion dollar facility opening soon, a new AD, a new president - let’s go big and proven. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

Is the opening line a dig at Harsin?  

“Love Auburn, Auburn will love you”

I don’t know if it’s a dig or not but it’s the truth. 

• Like 1

I agree, we couldn't have paid for a better man...an Auburn man...to be leading these young men right now. Anyone watching Caddy on the sidelines last week, could see he is still ready to throw on some pads, lock arms with his team and carry the rock. He has passion and love for this University that none of the Head coaches on any of the boards will have.

It should be a priority to retain him at all costs just as it should be a priority to shield him for hat is coming next.

@AUght2win is correct, we are vulnerable right now and he is being given a lot of grace because we all know what he inherited. But as time goes on, the head coach will be expected to do the impossible. The cupboard is bare, there is no one left to plant the seeds or plow the field. It is not improbable the next HC will be on the hot seat in 18 months if we are not competing at a high level, and I would hate for Caddy to carry that burden. And he WOULD carry it...for all of us.

His love, passion, drive, determination are why we love him, why he would run through a wall for this team and why he would never say "no" to helping Auburn. Stipulate he must be retained, or make him a coach in waiting. Anyone who has bled (and still bleeds) as much orange and blue as him deserves a better chance to succeed.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bostic up the middle said:

s love, passion, drive, determination are why we love him, why he would run through a wall for this team and why he would never say "no" to helping Auburn. Stipulate he must be retained, or make him a coach in waiting. Anyone who has bled (and still bleeds) as much orange and blue as him deserves a better chance to succeed.

I don’t think no one is denying his love for AU, but “must be retained “?   It’s exactly the thing that everyone on complains about (JABA).  Forcing the next guy to hire who you deem the best is literally the dumbest thing ever.   With that being said, I’m sure whoever is hired will see the value in Caddy way before they are told to take him.   

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I don’t think no one is denying his love for AU, but “must be retained “?   It’s exactly the thing that everyone on complains about (JABA).  Forcing the next guy to hire who you deem the best is literally the dumbest thing ever.   With that being said, I’m sure whoever is hired will see the value in Caddy way before they are told to take him.   

Exactly. Any of the high profile candidates we’re supposedly after would balk at “being handcuffed” by mandatory retentions. 

I’d shout for joy more than anyone if CCW is retained, but IF he is released I don’t doubt for a minute he would blame Auburn or lose any love he has for the plains. And if he finds success elsewhere I wouldn’t bet against seeing “Coach ‘Lac” back here in the future 

1 hour ago, bostic up the middle said:

I agree, we couldn't have paid for a better man...an Auburn man...to be leading these young men right now. Anyone watching Caddy on the sidelines last week, could see he is still ready to throw on some pads, lock arms with his team and carry the rock. He has passion and love for this University that none of the Head coaches on any of the boards will have.

It should be a priority to retain him at all costs just as it should be a priority to shield him for hat is coming next.

@AUght2win is correct, we are vulnerable right now and he is being given a lot of grace because we all know what he inherited. But as time goes on, the head coach will be expected to do the impossible. The cupboard is bare, there is no one left to plant the seeds or plow the field. It is not improbable the next HC will be on the hot seat in 18 months if we are not competing at a high level, and I would hate for Caddy to carry that burden. And he WOULD carry it...for all of us.

His love, passion, drive, determination are why we love him, why he would run through a wall for this team and why he would never say "no" to helping Auburn. Stipulate he must be retained, or make him a coach in waiting. Anyone who has bled (and still bleeds) as much orange and blue as him deserves a better chance to succeed.

I agree. No, I don’t think for a minute is ready to be HC here, but that does not take away his uniting of the team and fans in a tumultuous time. I also believe that Cohen’s 59th check on his HC search should be that the coach retains him. He is a good recruiter and will most likely only get better. AU has had quite a few former players over the years make a big impact on recruits and in coaching various position groups. I would love to see him go 3/1 the rest of the way, but even if he doesn’t, he will be a great ally to the next incoming coach and what more could a coach or University ask for, than a former GREAT that loves his alma mater? 

I have been curious myself about Cadillac being retained. I would love for Cadillac to stay at Auburn, but it looks kind of awkward to me at this point. He isn't ready for a coordinator position let alone a head coach position right now in my opinion. Again, I am very grateful for him stepping up and it is clear he loves Auburn and has the team fired up. I am open to being wrong about this. He may make a huge difference in these last 3 weeks.

The biggest problem for him staying is if the new coach wants to keep him. He is awesome and I love what he has done at Auburn, but to me it looks like he would go back to being a RB coach again. I would imagine it would be kind of hard to step back to a position coach after being interim head coach. Another option I see is him being an assistant OC or something along those lines. The problem I see with that is it is an awkward position to put your OC in if he is looking to stay since he would know there is a replacement for him breathing down his neck that he would also be teaching how to do his job.

All that being said, I'm definitely now the smartest guy around and I could have completely misread the situation. In my perfect dream world, I would love it if we got a strong OC who may want to look for a HC position in the next 2-3 years and who is willing to show Cadillac the ropes and help him build a strong foundation.

He’s what we need right now but going forward it can’t be an emotional decision.  

What if they actually hired CCW and we go 4-8 next year? The rah rah can only go so far. He would have to bring in an elite staff and how many elite guys would want to work for someone who’s never been a HC for an entire season?

Hiring him full time would be a massive risk. The last thing any of us want is for us to turn sour on one of our favorite Auburn men ever. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, woodford said:

He’s what we need right now but going forward it can’t be an emotional decision.  

What if they actually hired CCW and we go 4-8 next year? The rah rah can only go so far. He would have to bring in an elite staff and how many elite guys would want to work for someone who’s never been a HC for an entire season?

Hiring him full time would be a massive risk. The last thing any of us want is for us to turn sour on one of our favorite Auburn men ever. 

If you read my post, you’d see that I wasn’t advocating for Auburn make him the permanent HC. 

• Like 1

Why would an incoming coach not want to retain him?  His RB recruits have been great.  Auburn would probably have Junkins as well if Caddy had his way.  

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

Why would an incoming coach not want to retain him?  His RB recruits have been great.  Auburn would probably have Junkins as well if Caddy had his way.  

What gives you that impression?

9 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

If you read my post, you’d see that I wasn’t advocating for Auburn make him the permanent HC. 

I know. I wasn’t calling you out or anything. Just voicing an opinion. I appreciate your OP. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AUY2K said:

The quickest way for a new head coach to divide the Auburn fan base would be to let Carnell Williams go.

No, no it would not divide the fanbase. Cadillac is great for now. The new football coach needs to have the autonomy to bring whomever they want. Why is this so hard for everybody but Auburn fans to understand. Stop letting your damn emotions override logic. With that being said, I am happy for Caddy and the opportunity he gets at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, woodford said:

I know. I wasn’t calling you out or anything. Just voicing an opinion. I appreciate your OP. 

My bad man. I’ve been in brief writing mode all day and have had an unnecessarily argumentative mindset. 

7 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I know all the reasons why Carnell likely will not be Auburn’s head football coach in 2023, but he is exactly what Auburn needs right now. Exactly what I would imagine these players need right now. If you want to know what people are referring to when they talk about “fit” at Auburn, all you need to do is watch this video. When you hear people talking about what makes Auburn special, or Auburn selling itself, this is it. I didn’t post this to demonstrate why Cadillac should be our permanent head football coach. Rather, it demonstrates what so many people feel about Auburn, why Auburn is a great place to come coach, and what I believe the next head coach must embrace to be successful here. 

Caddy is a good story in the short term.  I loved him as a player and he was a good choice to interim-lead the team (based upon the other half being fired), but he has no chance (nor should he) of becoming the next head coach.

In 10 years, with the proper experience, I could see it.

Deion will be our next head coach, and I sure hope he retains Caddy as our RB coach.

54 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

What gives you that impression?

That he’s recruited well or Junkins?  Tank, Damari, Cobb and hidden gems like Jarquez.  I can only speak on rumors that Carnell got overruled on Junkins by another coach that is no longer at Auburn.