Time to Run

War to the Eagle

I think the biggest x-factor this season will be our running game. Brandon sounds like he's looking sharp. While I don't want to give him credit for what he hasn't done, it sounds like he should be stable. We've got a ton of talent returning around him on offense. Add that to our strong defensive unit, and you're left with the point Tommy makes: "He doesn't have to win games, he just has to not lose them."

HOWEVER, everything I've been reading from scrimmage and practice reports indicates our running game is less than stellar. Not only is it not receiving high marks, it's not really receiving coverage. I've seen fairly little written about who's standing out among Kenny, Tre, Carl and the rest of the "committee." While I certainly don't read everything on Auburn football, I'm a bit discouraged by what I haven't seen on our backfield.

My biggest concern is that we can't be one-dimensional. I love Al Borges. I love our spread offense. I also have great faith that he'll put together an attack from that scheme that'll maximize the talent we've got. My fear is that we can't maximize a running attack that isn't there.

Thoughts? Comments?

It seems like last preseason, our running game wasn't outstanding.. but then again, we didn't allow a rushing TD till the Alabama game (?).. So that has a lot to do with it IMO.. but I dunno for sure. I guess we can wait till Ross gets situated.

I think it just shows you how strong our defensive side of the ball is. I dont believe we have anything to worry about, if these rbs are practicing every day vs this defense.

Also, don't forget that we really haven't seen Tre Smith in the equation yet due to his appendectomy. Besides his own yards, I'm not sure how many yards his leadership might pull out of the other running backs.

Also, could be that CAB has been concentrating on the passing game because of Brandon Cox's need for experience and not worrying so much about putting all the bells & whistles into the running game yet.

There's only one thing on my mind: the defensive secondary.

We began to give up big plays during the latter part of last season and I don't see how this year's bunch will be even as good, much less better.

Tubs said at our club dinner that "Irons would have given Carlos a run for the Thorpe award had he been able to play". I take a modicum of comfort in that, but I'm still very concerned.

Gibbs may be a real help, but a change also might be a problem.

At any rate, it's going to be an interesting season. I just hope it's interesting in the right way.

I think the biggest x-factor this season will be our running game.  Brandon sounds like he's looking sharp.  While I don't want to give him credit for what he hasn't done, it sounds like he should be stable.  We've got a ton of talent returning around him on offense.  Add that to our strong defensive unit, and you're left with the point Tommy makes: "He doesn't have to win games, he just has to not lose them."

HOWEVER, everything I've been reading from scrimmage and practice reports indicates our running game is less than stellar.  Not only is it not receiving high marks, it's not really receiving coverage.  I've seen fairly little written about who's standing out among Kenny, Tre, Carl and the rest of the "committee."  While I certainly don't read everything on Auburn football, I'm a bit discouraged by what I haven't seen on our backfield.

My biggest concern is that we can't be one-dimensional.  I love Al Borges.  I love our spread offense.  I also have great faith that he'll put together an attack from that scheme that'll maximize the talent we've got.  My fear is that we can't maximize a running attack that isn't there.

Thoughts? Comments?

173961[/snapback]

I wouldn't worry about the running game from just reading practice reports or looking at scrimmage stats. Really good stats could also indicate running against a not so good defense. We won't get a good feel for how good the running game is until they play some actual games. When you have a good OL (like AU does this year) then it really won't matter who runs with the ball as long as they can hit the hole. We're going to be good. :thumbsup::au: WDE

I wouldn't be too concerned about our running game. Borges says we will have a running game and I believe him. The talent is there. In my opinion, the weakness we had last year was our inside running game. We have the guards to make that better this year and if our center does his part, we will have a strong running game to complement our WRs and TEs. Until we see otherwise, use the power of positive thinking. Worrying only makes one misearable, and accomplishes absolutely nothing.

OU's running game doesn't do squat here in OKlahoma in their scrimmages either simply because the D knows how to shut it down very easily..DON't worry about the running game..it'll be fine!

Guest Tigrinum Major
There's only one thing on my mind: the defensive secondary. 

We began to give up big plays during the latter part of last season and I don't see how this year's bunch will be even as good, much less better.

Tubs said at our club dinner that "Irons would have given Carlos a run for the Thorpe award had he been able to play".  I take a modicum of comfort in that, but I'm still very concerned.

Gibbs may be a real help, but a change also might be a problem.

At any rate, it's going to be an interesting season.  I just hope it's interesting in the right way.

174022[/snapback]

Wilhite will replace Pitts before the GT game at the corner opposite Irons.

Herring got burned because of some overaggressiveness by our DEs late in the year. He and Tony Bell will be fine at safety. DB is not a strength at the moment, but look for them to gel by the time we get to Baton Rouge.

Herring got burned because of some overaggressiveness by our DEs late in the year. He and Tony Bell will be fine at safety. DB is not a strength at the moment, but look for them to gel by the time we get to Baton Rouge.

I dont think we can wait that long for them to step up....especially with Calvin Johnson and D. Bilbo coming into J Hare Sept. 3.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I dont think we can wait that long for them to step up....especially with Calvin Johnson and D. Bilbo coming into J Hare Sept. 3.

174141[/snapback]

Keep in mind that R. Ball will have to get the ball to them and we probably find that a difficult task with his head planted in the turf by the Predator.

The most impressive thing in the A-Day game to me was the athleticism of our DBs. I think we have more overall talent back there than ever before. However, that doesn't always translate into covering receivers. Chizik's defenses had a tendency to get beat long at times, some of which were periods in the game when that was the ONLY thing to be concerned about.

One instance that comes to mind is UA in 03'? We were up 2 scores late and on one drive, their receivers got way behind our DBs on 3 separate occasions, resulting in a TD and us having to recover an on sides kick. Fortunately, I think we have a ton of great things going for us this year including the ability to put consistent pressure on the QB, a gifted group of athletes at the position and an early schedule that should allow them to develop.

Archived