Game 2 vs. South Alabama

Shelby Lowe starting in the circle, retires USA batters in order in top 1.  2 strikeouts.  In bottom, Peralta walks and advances to 2d on a PB, Ellis reaches via error.  But, Garcia flies out, and McCrary fouls out to lf.  No score going to the second.  Olivia Lackey pitching for South Alabama. 

SA gets a runner on via a throwing error by Widra, but no scores.  Tresvik leads off the bottom, and strikes out swinging.  Packer does the same.  Lisenby flies out to cf, and Lackie retires Auburn with 11 pitches.  Going to top 3, no score.

Edited by OlderWhiskey

Alright, going to bottom 4.  Pitchers in control, Lowe has thrown 49 pitches through 4 and Lackey 40 pitches thru 3.  Auburn with 2 baserunners in the first, USA with one in the 2d.  Ellis due up, followed by GArcia and McCrary.  

Ellis walked, with Smith pinch running.  Smith stole second.  Garcia and KK both strike out looking.  That brings up Tresvik, who's already struck out once .  She grounded out, and we go to the 5th.  Lackie threw 21 pitches that inning. 

Edited by OlderWhiskey

Trouble city.  Lowe gives up a double and a single.  Runners on the corners for USA, no outs.  Now she gives up another double and a run scores, leaving runners on 2d and 3d with nobody out.  Penta coming in to pitch.  1-0 USA.

Penta held the damage to one more run, with help from the defense throwing out two runners at the plate.  2-0 South Alabama leads going to bot 5, and we don't have a hit yet.  Packer strikes out and Lisenby pops out.  Now Widra flies out, and we have 6 outs left.

Edited by OlderWhiskey

Top 6:  Another throwing error by Widra allows the runner to advance, but she is thrown out at 3d by Garcia.  That's the 3d baserunner thrown out by the outfield in the lst 2 innings.  Next batter lines out to 2d, and Penta strikes out the 3d.  Going to bottom 6 with the top of the order coming up.  We need some bat action.

Lackey induces three popups from Peralta, McCondichie, and Ellis to maintain her no-hitter.  Moving to the 7th and last inning.

Edited by OlderWhiskey

Garcia is hit by a pitch to start bottom 7, and I think she's our first baserunner since the first inning.  Tresvik and McCrary due up.

McCrary flied out, but Tresvik walked.  Blaine will pinch hit for Packer.  Blaine singles to center, scoring Garcia.  Tresvik takes third, and Packer comes in to run for Blaine.  Now Lisenby grounds into a 1-3-2 double play, and the game is over.  South Alabama wins 2-1 behind a sterling pitching performance from Olivia Lackey.  She gave up one hit (in the 7th) and 3 walks, throwing 101 pitches with 65 strikes.  Lackey had 5 strikeouts and 12 flyouts.  

Edited by OlderWhiskey

Interesting to see we didn't respond at all to an great pitcher. Happy to see our improved defense.  USA is tough every year these days.  Sun belt is a tough conference overall.  We took it to Troy earlier but they are good as well. 

Every year we seem to have one day where everything falls apart - 2018 at Missouri, 2019 at Kentucky, and 2022 at Tennessee. Hopefully today was the day for this team and we do not see this type of play again. We need to turn the page to tomorrow’s game, Wednesday’s game at GT, and the three game series at Georgia.  

I didn't run a thread on the TennTech game as I was busy, but it looked pretty ragged.  We did win 11-6, but they were a 1-11 team starting the day.  Dean started Roche, and she gave up 3 runs in the first two inning, so Widra came on in relief.  She did pretty well except for the 5th, when she gave up a couple of hits followed by a 3-run homer.  Offensively, we weren't impressive.  We scored 9 runs in the 4th when the second pitcher had a rash of HBP and wild pitches, then couldn't score in the 5th and 6th.  We won the game without using Penta or Lowe.

On 3/4/2023 at 8:55 PM, AU1947 said:

Still waiting to see how we do in SEC play...... 

Agreed. It seems that under Dean we have had a propensity to play a relatively soft pre-conference which gives us a false sense of how good his teams are.

We should have killed Bowling Green, instead we were going through the motions.  6 hits in a 5 inning run-rule game.  We scored 2 runs on bases loaded walks and 1 on a hit batter with the bases loaded.  Most of the 8 runs were given to us by a poor team.   I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling going into conference play.  Other than Maddie, I'm just not confident in our pitching.  I really thought we would be further along.  Looks like Lowe struggles with the 2nd or 3rd time through the order and you don't know if Widra will be effective on any given day.  OU waxed a good UK team, so that trip to OKC may get ugly.

Edited by saminbama
  • Like 1

I had the same thoughts as Samin bama originally, but Dean commented that he had talked to the team about being more patient at the plate, and was pleased that they had done so.  Walks are not as much fun for the players and fans as hits are, but they can be productive.    A team drawing a lot of walks is not swinging at pitches out of the strike zone, which is probably what got us beaten vs. USA.  Lackey is a good pitcher - she struck out 14 vs. La. Tech the weekend before - but she also has 3 losses.  We definitely underperformed in that game.

Looking forward, I do have concern about the pitching.    It's apparent that Lowe is not back to her 2021 form, and may never be.  She did throw 4 hitless innings Saturday, though; I think that's the longest outing she's had.  Dean has been using her for short stints, probably on account of her injury.  Let's hope she can recover fully and get back to being Shutdown Shelby.