2023 Softball vs Ole Miss

#19 Auburn (26-9 overall, 4-2 SEC conference) is scheduled to play a 3-game series vs unranked Ole Miss (20-14 overall, 1-5 SEC conference) at Jane B Moore field this weekend.

GAME 1:   Friday, March 31 at 6:00 pm.  Will be streamed on SEC+.

GAME 2:  Saturday, April 1 at 3:00 pm.  Will be broadcast on SEC Network.

GAME 3:  Sunday, April 2 at 1:00 pm.  Will be streamed on SEC+

Edited by Golden Eagle
added team records

GAME 1 Recap:  Auburn 8 - Ole Miss 2

Auburn had 8 runs on 8 hits with 0 errors and 6 batters left on base.  They had 4 HRs (Godwyn, Ellis, Lisenby, and Bryant).  Maddie Penta pitched all 7 innings, threw 102 pitches, walked 2 batters and struck out 9.

Ole Miss had 2 runs on 2 hits with 0 errors and 3 batters left on base.  They had 1 HR.  Ole Miss used 3 pitchers across 6 innings.  Together they threw 115 pitches, walked 3 batters and struck out 5.

The umpire was hit in the face mask by an Ole Miss batter's foul ball and had to leave the game resulting in about a 15 minute game delay.  Hope she's okay.  Maddie has thrown a LOT of pitches this week.  I hope Lowe and Widra can handle Saturday and Sunday games.  Auburn travels to Gainesville next weekend and Auburn will need her rested and ready.

Great game tonight!

Edited by Golden Eagle
  • Like 1

GAME 2 Recap:  Auburn 1 - Ole Miss 4

Auburn had 1 run on 6 hits with 0 errors and 7 batters left on base.    Annabelle Widra pitched the first 4.2 innings, threw 73 pitches, walked 1 batter, struck out 4 and gave up all 4 of Ole Miss's earned runs.  Emma Rolfe pitched the remaining 2.1 innings, threw 28 pitches, walked 1 batter and struck out 1.

Ole Miss had 4 runs on 8 hits with 1 error and 5 batters left on base.  Catelyn Riley pitched all 7 innings and only threw 79 pitches.  She walked 2 batters and struck out 4.  Auburn's only run was unearned.

Another Auburn offensive performance that made me want to turn the channel.  In the bottom of the first, they had the bases loaded and one out.  Couldn't drive in even one run.  Swung aggressively at pitches early in the count (see above - Riley only had to throw 79 pitches over 7 innings). Riley took advantage of Auburn's consistent behavior at the plate.  She threw low in the zone and got Auburn to ground out over and over and over again.  Another thing I've noticed is that they don't run full speed to first when they think it's inevitable that they will be thrown out...things can happen and they should run like the wind until the ball is actually in the first baseman's glove at the base.  Seems defeatest, like their lack of discipline at the plate, especially when they get behind. Frustrating that they didn't play well in the one game of the series that was broadcast on the SEC network. 

One controversial play wasn't (but should have been) called against Auburn.   Bryant was on first after a base hit.  The next batter hit a ground ball to the short stop who threw to second and got Bryant out.  Bryant didn't slide into second and obstructed the second baseman so she couldn't complete a double play with a throw to first.  Ole Miss coach complained to officials and replay showed that she had a case but they kept playing.  Didn't matter...game was soon over anyway.

Will we see Shelby Lowe pitch tomorrow?  Announcers seemed to think it would be Penta again...

Edited by Golden Eagle
Corrected Ole Miss stats
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Golden Eagle said:

GAME 2 Recap:  Auburn 1 - Ole Miss 4

Auburn had 1 run on 6 hits with 0 errors and 7 batters left on base.    Annabelle Widra pitched the first 4.2 innings, threw 73 pitches, walked 1 batter, struck out 4 and gave up all 4 of Ole Miss's earned runs.  Emma Rolfe pitched the remaining 2.1 innings, threw 28 pitches, walked 1 batter and struck out 1.

Ole Miss had 2 runs on 2 hits with 0 errors and 3 batters left on base.  Catelyn Riley pitched all 7 innings and only threw 79 pitches.  She walked 2 batters and struck out 4.  Auburn's only run was unearned.

Another Auburn offensive performance that made me want to turn the channel.  In the bottom of the first, they had the bases loaded and one out.  Couldn't drive in even one run.  Swung aggressively at pitches early in the count (see above - Riley only had to throw 79 pitches over 7 innings). Riley took advantage of Auburn's consistent behavior at the plate.  She threw low in the zone and got Auburn to ground out over and over and over again.  Another thing I've noticed is that they don't run full speed to first when they think it's inevitable that they will be thrown out...things can happen and they should run like the wind until the ball is actually in the first baseman's glove at the base.  Seems defeatest, like their lack of discipline at the plate, especially when they get behind. Frustrating that they didn't play well in the one game of the series that was broadcast on the SEC network. 

One controversial play wasn't (but should have been) called against Auburn.   Bryant was on first after a base hit.  The next batter hit a ground ball to the short stop who threw to second and got Bryant out.  Bryant didn't slide into second and obstructed the second baseman so she couldn't complete a double play with a throw to first.  Ole Miss coach complained to officials and replay showed that she had a case but they kept playing.  Didn't matter...game was soon over anyway.

Will we see Shelby Lowe pitch tomorrow?  Announcers seemed to think it would be Penta again...

Agree, at least two occasions we did not run with effort on infield ground ball.  Also, Bryant should know better ; way to obvious.  I expect to see some combination of Lowe/Penta tomorrow.  Seems that Widra now being used exclusively as a pitcher which makes me think Lowe may be very limited.  

• Like 1

I’ve been told that Shelby is unavailable this weekend whether that’s true or not I don’t know.   It wouldn’t matter Penta will be pitching tomorrow.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

I expect to see some combination of Lowe/Penta tomorrow.  Seems that Widra now being used exclusively as a pitcher which makes me think Lowe may be very limited.  

Thanks - I noticed Widra wasn't playing but hadn't thought about it being due to Lowe's status. 

4 minutes ago, AUSRB said:

I’ve been told that Shelby is unavailable this weekend whether that’s true or not I don’t know.   It wouldn’t matter Penta will be pitching tomorrow.

I wondered what was going on with Lowe when Rolfe was brought in to relieve Widra.  I obviously don't know what's going on with her but I hope she isn't having problems with her pitching arm again.  If she is, Rolfe may get significant playing time this year.  She did pretty well today; if she can control her nerves I think she'll perform well.

1st inning: bases loaded on consecutive walks by the Ol' Miss pitcher. Most of her pitches weren't close. So, our next batter swings at the first pitch and gets an out. We exit the inning scoreless. I could go on but...

I never watch an Auburn game coached my Dean that I don't see an incident or two that leave me puzzled. What was he thinking? Even a rec league coach with ten year old players knows to tell his next batter to take the first pitch when the opposing pitcher is having obvious control trouble. Many of Dean's decisions are head scratchers. He knows his players and I don't, but some things are obvious, fundamental situations that are pretty much universal truths.

GAME 3 Recap:  Auburn 1 - Ole Miss 0

Auburn had 1 run on 1 hit with 0 errors and 3 batters left on base.    Maddie Penta pitched all 7 innings, threw 90 pitches, walked 2 batters, struck out 8 and gave up 0 runs.

Ole Miss had 0 runs on 2 hits with 2 errors and 2 batters left on base.  Vestal pitched 3.1 innings, threw 54 pitches, walked 4 batters, struck out 3 and gave up Auburn's unearned run.  Riley (who shut out Auburn on Saturday) relieved Vestal and pitched 2.2 innings, threw 24 pitches, walked 1, and struck out 0.

Auburn's run came on what was more or less a trick play.  In the bottom of the 3rd, with two outs, Peralta walked.  Abbie Smith subbed in to run for Peralta.  She stole second and when the attempted throwdown went into the outfield, she stole 3rd.  Aubrie Lisenby then walked.  When she got to 1st base, she started running towards second and was in a rundown between 1st and 2nd while Smith stole home.  Lisenby was then thrown out at 1st.  Sad that this is the only way Auburn could score a run, but it won them the ball game.

Need to give a shout out to Brie Ellis for her defensive play.  Impressive to see her fielding bunts and line drives at first and catching almost every put out thrown to her at first.  Wish she could get her bat back on track but her defense is stellar.

I hope Maddie Penta has a huge NIL deal (do any AU softball players have NIL deals?) because she has carried this team on her back all season.  As @AUSRB noted above, Lowe must not have been available this weekend.  If I heard correctly on today's broadcast, Ole Miss has six pitchers - and both Riley and Vestal were able to shut Auburn down yesterday and today.  If Lowe isn't going to be in the rotation this year, we need Rolfe and Widra ready to go - and plenty of prayers that Penta stays healthy and available.

Edited by Golden Eagle
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

1st inning: bases loaded on consecutive walks by the Ol' Miss pitcher. Most of her pitches weren't close. So, our next batter swings at the first pitch and gets an out. We exit the inning scoreless. I could go on but...

I never watch an Auburn game coached my Dean that I don't see an incident or two that leave me puzzled. What was he thinking? Even a rec league coach with ten year old players knows to tell his next batter to take the first pitch when the opposing pitcher is having obvious control trouble. Many of Dean's decisions are head scratchers. He knows his players and I don't, but some things are obvious, fundamental situations that are pretty much universal truths.

I agree!  Auburn's offensive woes are frustrating to me (and, I would guess to others, but I can only speak for myself).  I understand that some pitchers are really good (e.g., Penta) and very challenging for batters.  But elite teams - like Oklahoma - hit even great pitchers the second time through the lineup.  Auburn hasn't demonstrated the ability to learn about the pitcher the first time up, make adjustments, and hit the ball the second (or 3rd or 4th) time up.

I realize that Dean is the head coach and has ultimate responsibility for the team's development and their performance on the field.  However, Lenti is the hitting coach (according to the staff roster) and the 3rd base coach during games.  He is the one giving batters direction at the plate.  If Dean disagrees with Lenti's management of the hitters, he should address it with Lenti to get it corrected and, if that fails, he needs to fire Lenti and hire someone better.  If Dean thinks Lenti is doing a fine job, then maybe they both need to go.  IMHO, something needs to change. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Golden Eagle said:

I agree!  Auburn's offensive woes are frustrating to me (and, I would guess to others, but I can only speak for myself).  I understand that some pitchers are really good (e.g., Penta) and very challenging for batters.  But elite teams - like Oklahoma - hit even great pitchers the second time through the lineup.  Auburn hasn't demonstrated the ability to learn about the pitcher the first time up, make adjustments, and hit the ball the second (or 3rd or 4th) time up.

I realize that Dean is the head coach and has ultimate responsibility for the team's development and their performance on the field.  However, Lenti is the hitting coach (according to the staff roster) and the 3rd base coach during games.  He is the one giving batters direction at the plate.  If Dean disagrees with Lenti's management of the hitters, he should address it with Lenti to get it corrected and, if that fails, he needs to fire Lenti and hire someone better.  If Dean thinks Lenti is doing a fine job, then maybe they both need to go.  IMHO, something needs to change. 

Ken Brooke, the volunteer assistant, is part of the input for hitting.  You can read his bio on the coaching staff area also.  Just looking at HR's, Unlikely we make it to last years 86 total.  Interestingly, I looked at the current SEC numbers today and our batting average was 7th but we were #2 in HR's with 45 but well behind Georgia's 61.  Florida and Georgia lead the conference BA both at .338 compared to AU at .299.  

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Ken Brooke, the volunteer assistant, is part of the input for hitting.  You can read his bio on the coaching staff area also.  Just looking at HR's, Unlikely we make it to last years 86 total.  Interestingly, I looked at the current SEC numbers today and our batting average was 7th but we were #2 in HR's with 45 but well behind Georgia's 61.  Florida and Georgia lead the conference BA both at .338 compared to AU at .299.  

Thank you for posting this info.  I was curious to see how Auburn stacked up against the conference in both overall stats and conference-only stats.  As you pointed out the stats show that Auburn is in the middle overall, and also in the middle in conference play.  I did read Brooke's bio on the staff roster and understand he has a role in developing AU batters, although I'm not clear on the division of responsibility other than Lenti is the one giving batters direction at the plate.  Thoughts about whether Auburn is underperforming or are they about where we should expect them to be?

2023 Overall (all games through Apr 3, 2023)                                      SEC  (conference games only through Apr 3, 2023)                       

1.   Florida - BA .338,  HRs  41                                                            1.  Georgia - BA .323,  HRs 24

2.  Georgia - BA .332,  HRs  61                                                           2.  Kentucky - BA  .315,  HRs  4

3.  LSU - BA  .323,  HRs  29                                                                3. Arkansas - BA  .262,  HRs  12

4.  Kentucky - BA  .317,  HRs  24                                                        4.  Florida - BA  .253,  HRs  6

5.  Tennessee - BA .310,  HRs 39                                                       5.  LSU - BA  .250,  HRs  1

6.  South Carolina - BA  .304,  HRs  30                                              6.  aTm - BA  .247  HRs  10

7.  Auburn - BA  .299,  HRs  45                                                           7.  Auburn - BA  .239,  HRs  9

8. Alabama - BA  .291,  HRs  38                                                         8.  Alabama - BA  .239,  HRs  9

9.  aTm - BA  .284,  HRs 31                                                                9.  South Carolina - BA  .228,  HRs 3

10. Arkansas - BA  .282,  HRs  42                                                    10.  Tennessee - BA  .215,  HRs  14

11. Missouri - BA  .276,  HRs  31                                                       11.  Missouri - BA  .206,  HRs  6                                                       

12. Ole Miss - BA  .273,  HRs  22                                                      12.  Miss State - BA .182,  HRs  7

13. Miss State  - BA  .273,  HRs  32                                                  13.  Ole Miss - BA  .155,  HRs  3

Edited by Golden Eagle
Added SEC stats for 4 teams previously missing.

Conference only stats

2023 SEC Softball SEC Leaders Summary as of Apr 03, 2023 (SEC games only) TEAM BATTING G Avg AB R H 2B 3B HR BB SO SB-ATT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Georgia............. 11 .323 313 62 101 19 0 24 24 46 8-9 Kentucky............ 9 .315 251 51 79 15 3 4 27 41 9-11 Arkansas............ 12 .262 302 60 79 14 2 12 33 78 3-3 Florida............. 9 .253 229 43 58 7 3 6 33 50 8-10 LSU................. 9 .250 240 24 60 11 3 1 27 61 1-2 Texas A&M........... 12 .247 299 53 74 15 2 10 35 79 14-17 Auburn.............. 9 .239 226 28 54 5 0 9 21 50 6-8 Alabama............. 9 .239 247 27 59 7 0 9 27 51 4-6 South Carolina...... 9 .228 224 30 51 13 0 3 24 50 8-13 Tennessee........... 12 .215 307 58 66 6 0 14 50 68 13-15 Missouri............ 12 .206 301 26 62 12 0 6 35 95 8-11 Mississippi State... 8 .182 181 25 33 5 2 7 22 39 3-3 Ole Miss............ 9 .155 213 14 33 5 1 3 19 65 4-6 Totals.............. 65 .243 3333 501 809 134 16 108 377 773 89-114

3 minutes ago, AUSRB said:

Conference only stats

2023 SEC Softball SEC Leaders Summary as of Apr 03, 2023 (SEC games only) TEAM BATTING G Avg AB R H 2B 3B HR BB SO SB-ATT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Georgia............. 11 .323 313 62 101 19 0 24 24 46 8-9 Kentucky............ 9 .315 251 51 79 15 3 4 27 41 9-11 Arkansas............ 12 .262 302 60 79 14 2 12 33 78 3-3 Florida............. 9 .253 229 43 58 7 3 6 33 50 8-10 LSU................. 9 .250 240 24 60 11 3 1 27 61 1-2 Texas A&M........... 12 .247 299 53 74 15 2 10 35 79 14-17 Auburn.............. 9 .239 226 28 54 5 0 9 21 50 6-8 Alabama............. 9 .239 247 27 59 7 0 9 27 51 4-6 South Carolina...... 9 .228 224 30 51 13 0 3 24 50 8-13 Tennessee........... 12 .215 307 58 66 6 0 14 50 68 13-15 Missouri............ 12 .206 301 26 62 12 0 6 35 95 8-11 Mississippi State... 8 .182 181 25 33 5 2 7 22 39 3-3 Ole Miss............ 9 .155 213 14 33 5 1 3 19 65 4-6 Totals.............. 65 .243 3333 501 809 134 16 108 377 773 89-114

Well that didn’t come out the way I planned it.

1 hour ago, Golden Eagle said:

Thank you for posting this info.  I was curious to see how Auburn stacked up against the conference in both overall stats and conference-only stats.  As you pointed out the stats show that Auburn is in the middle overall, and also in the middle in conference play.  I did read Brooke's bio on the staff roster and understand he has a role in developing AU batters, although I'm not clear on the division of responsibility other than Lenti is the one giving batters direction at the plate.  Thoughts about whether Auburn is underperforming or are they about where we should expect them to be?

2023 Overall (all games through Apr 3, 2023)                                      SEC  (conference games only through Apr 3, 2023)                       

1.   Florida - BA .338,  HRs  41                                                            1.  Georgia - BA .323,  HRs 61

2.  Georgia - BA .332,  HRs  61                                                           2.  Kentucky - BA  .315,  HRs  4

3.  LSU - BA  .323,  HRs  29                                                                3. Arkansas - BA  .262,  HRs  12

4.  Kentucky - BA  .317,  HRs  24                                                        4.  Florida - BA  .253,  HRs  6

5.  Tennessee - BA .310,  HRs 39                                                       5.  LSU - BA  .250,  HRs  1

6.  South Carolina - BA  .304,  HRs  30                                              6.  aTm - BA  .247  HRs  10

7.  Auburn - BA  .299,  HRs  45                                                           7.  Auburn - BA  .239,  HRs  9

8. Alabama - BA  .291,  HRs  38                                                         8.  Alabama - BA  .239,  HRs  9

9.  aTm - BA  .284,  HRs 31                                                                9.  South Carolina - BA  .228,  HRs 3

10. Arkansas - BA  .282,  HRs  42                                                    10.  Tennessee - BA  .215,  HRs  14

11. Missouri - BA  .276,  HRs  31                                                       11.  Missouri - BA  .206,  HRs  6                                                       

12. Ole Miss - BA  .273,  HRs  22                                                      12.  Miss State - BA .182,  HRs  7

13. Miss State  - BA  .273,  HRs  32                                                  13.  Ole Miss - BA  .155,  HRs  3

I think the only stats that matter now are SEC stats.  If I remember correctly we hit .235 in conference play last year which the best since I believe 2016 but I could be wrong.  I was hoping for about a .260 average in SEC play this year and the way we are hitting that’s gonna be a stretch.  I’ve never like the approach Lenti is teaching of being aggressive and swinging for the fence.  When it works it works well but when we need just a fly ball or base hit with runners in scoring position we are not doing very well.  We have 9 home runs I think we are last in doubles and have no triples, we are I believe last in walks.  Part of the reason is some our better hitters are underperforming and I have to believe they will come around in the remainder of SEC play.  So at this point I’m a little disappointed but not ready to throw in the towel.

• Like 1