Fox lied as a matter of law

TexasTiger

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

I don’t think it would make it to trial, but that isn’t the point.  The point being Maddow et.al lied about Trump being a Russian asset.  It was ludicrous at the time to accuse a sitting President of treason all from a source that his main rival had made up.

A former KGB agent has written a book stating Trump was targeted as an asset in the 80s.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/29/trump-russia-asset-claims-former-kgb-spy-new-book?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Much of his baffling behavior supports it, particularly his performance in Helsinki that would have deeply disturbed any loyal American.

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/commentary/2019/01/14/max-boot-here-are/

I question Trump’s loyalty to America based solely on his own words and actions. Frankly, one has to be irrational or grossly misinformed not to.

Show me the direct quote from Maddow you believe to be a actionable lie.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

15 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Show me the direct quote from Maddow you believe to be an actionable lie.

See was sued by several groups and the case was dismissed based upon Maddow being a talk show host that gave an opinion.  This is the same as Tucker Carlson’s case.  Because she wrapped her subsequent lies around opinion, she was not legally liable.

Her opinions were lies, as it turned out.  At the time they had plausible deniability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

See was sued by several groups and the case was dismissed based upon Maddow being a talk show host that gave an opinion.  This is the same as Tucker Carlson’s case.  Because she wrapped her subsequent lies around opinion, she was not legally liable.

Her opinions were lies, as it turned out.  At the time they had plausible deniability.

Tucker and Fox are far from off the hook. HUGE DIFFERENCE— evidence clearly shows Tucker knew he was lying every time he discussed the election outcome. Maddow probably still believes Trump is compromised— there was no evidence she didn’t believe it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

Tucker and Fox are far from off the hook. HUGE DIFFERENCE— evidence clearly shows Tucker knew he was lying every time he discussed the election outcome. Maddow probably still believes Trump is compromised— there was no evidence she didn’t believe it.

Tucker, not FOX, is the same as Maddow’s case.  I’m not comparing the Dominion case with Maddow, just that both are opinion based programs.  Sorry for the confusion.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Tucker, not FOX, is the same as Maddow’s case.  I’m not comparing the Dominion case with Maddow, just that both are opinion based programs.  Sorry for the confusion.

Tucker was one of the worst liars on Fox. Tucker was trying to get the news division to shut down truth tellers. Again, he knew he was lying, supported the lying and wanted anyone telling the truth fired. That ain’t the same as Maddow.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

On 4/2/2023 at 8:53 AM, I_M4_AU said:

I guess we should create a *Ministry of Truth* and you can head it up.

asddsa.gif.2ee7fe8f070fa4456afc8e4eab95a7b2.gif

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Taibbi must get off on repeated, swift kicks to the balls

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

Taibbi must get off on repeated, swift kicks to the balls

He may have been stoned. He’s not accustomed to having to defend his stuff in real time.

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Another perspective:

Wow someone unironically quoting Jack Posobiec lol

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

Wow someone unironically quoting Jack Posobiec lol

So, this makes Taibbi’s rebuttals incorrect?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

So, this makes Taibbi’s rebuttals incorrect?

They're argumentum ad hominem.

But I get the feeling trying to explain the nature of logical fallacies to you would be a fool's errand. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Another perspective:

Only an idiot would fail to realize that Taibbi’s deflections were all he had when faced with valid criticism. But he threw the same tired jabs that arouse you, so you think he’s vindicated.

23 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Only an idiot would fail to realize that Taibbi’s deflections were all he had when faced with valid criticism. But he threw the same tired jabs that arouse you, so you think he’s vindicated.

I never said he was vindicated.  I thought I would post his rebuttal.  Whether you like it or not is of no consequence.  

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I never said he was vindicated.  I thought I would post his rebuttal.  Whether you like it or not is of no consequence.  

A non-rebuttal rebuttal that changes the subject. Ok.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/6/2023 at 6:13 PM, TexasTiger said:

Let me see here. Award Winning Journalist Matt Taibbi and dozens of other journalists supporting him, OR some nameless party hack on MSNBC doing what MSNBC does seven days a week...

I got Taibbi for the win. Every time. 

19 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Another perspective:

OWNED. As I said, here is the truth. and the nameless shill takes a dodge and doesn't answer Taibbi. 

Six ******* years of bull**** from MSNBC. No arrests, no cases, no nothing. I told the forum here, almost from day one that there was nothing there. I reminded the forum that Van Jones, Dianne Feinstein, and even Maxine Waters said from DAY ONE that all this was a "nothing burger" and "there is no 'there' there." Six years later, I still troll the low-information types here on the forum about all those cases and trials for Treason, Sedition, and Collusion that NO ONE EVER SAW. And they still tap dance around it just like this nameless douche did here. If you or your news org had been caught being wrong on almost every news broadcast you did for 4-6 years and you didn't even have the balls/decency/ethics to apologize or explain why we should listen to anything you say going forward knowing that your network, and Fox, and CNN exist to produce megatons of completely meaningless propaganda. Why would any educated person invest even a nano-second in any show they KNOW to be bull****? You cannot attain any knowledge from people that have failed miserably for DECADES to right their ship and start doing fact-based news.

If the Twitter stuff had gone to MSNBC, there would have been NOTHING said about one word of it.

Fox is the propaganda arm of the RNC. MSNBC/CNN is the propaganda arm of the DNC. 

And Tucker and Maddow, who are close friends btw, used the same defense when sued. Their shows ARE NOT FACT BASED. They are opinion. Maddow lied repeatedly, as did/does Carlson. They dodged the lawsuits because the courts held that NO ONE with a brain thought that they were telling the truth or facts or anything but disinformation.

https://www.courthousenews.com/ninth-circuit-backs-dismissal-of-defamation-suit-against-rachel-maddow/

In a 24-page order Tuesday, U.S. Circuit Judge Milan D. Smith Jr. found a six-word statement uttered by Maddow when reporting that an OAN correspondent moonlighted as a freelance reporter for Kremlin-backed Sputnik News was “an obvious exaggeration, cushioned within an undisputed news story.”

The George W. Bush appointee added: “The statement could not reasonably be understood to imply an assertion of objective fact, and therefore, does not amount to defamation.”

In a segment on her show July 22, 2019, Maddow highlighted a story published the same day by The Daily Beast which revealed OAN’s on-air politics reporter Kristian Rouz simultaneously wrote for Sputnik News.

OAN never filed a lawsuit against The Daily Beast or its senior national security correspondent Kevin Poulsen. The facts reported in the story were never disputed.

During her segment, Maddow called The Daily Beast article a “sparkly story” and said the Donald Trump-endorsed news network “really literally is paid Russian propaganda.”

OAN sued Maddow, Comcast and NBC in the Southern District of California that fall, claiming Maddow’s “Russian propaganda” comment “is false and intended to malign and harm OAN,” a San Diego-based independent news network entirely financed by the Herring family.

In 2020, U.S. District Judge Cynthia Bashant, a Barack Obama appointee, found Maddow’s comment was opinion, not fact, and dismissed the case.

Earlier this year, Bashant awarded Maddow’s attorneys $247,000 for their defense of the political newscaster.

During the July court hearing on whether to revive the case, Smith questioned whether it was “obvious” Maddow wasn’t breaking a news story because a screenshot of The Daily Beast article was featured behind her during the segment.

Judge Smith also asked whether it was unreasonable for Maddow to suggest OAN was “tainted” by one of its employees also doing work for the Russian news network.

Smith reiterated his comments in his opinion Tuesday.

He found OAN and its parent company were unlikely to prevail on the defamation claim because the challenged speech was not a statement of fact and the context of Maddow’s show made it likely her audience would expect her to make political opinions.

Smith noted: “It seems Herring agrees with this conclusion as well,” based on its complaint which characterized Maddow as “a liberal television host” and MSNBC’s programming as “liberal politics.”

“The medium through which the contested statement was made supports Maddow’s argument that a reasonable viewer would not conclude the statement implies an assertion of fact,” Smith wrote.

Maddow’s tone throughout the segment — where she laughed, shook her head and acted “astonished” at the news revealed by The Daily Beast article — also bolstered her claim a reasonable viewer would understand she was not breaking news, Smith wrote.

Edited by DKW 86
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Let me see here. Award Winning Journalist Matt Taibbi and dozens of other journalists supporting him, OR some nameless party hack on MSNBC doing what MSNBC does seven days a week...

I got Taibbi for the win. Every time. 

More ad hominems. You guys are so lazy it borders on parody. It's hilarious watching you twist yourselves into pretzels to run cover for Taibbi and his journalistic malpractice.

Hassan took a serious scalpel to the central claims of Taibbi's reporting, but y'all don't wanna talk about that. 

By the way, Mehdi Hassan is an award winning journalist in his own right, having worked under Greenwald at the Intercept and at Al Jazeera.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

OWNED. As I said, here is the truth. and the nameless shill takes a dodge and doesn't answer Taibbi. 

Six ******* years of bull**** from MSNBC. No arrests, no cases, no nothing. I told the forum here, almost from day one that there was nothing there. I reminded the forum that Van Jones, Dianne Feinstein, and even Maxine Waters said from DAY ONE that all this was a "nothing burger" and "there is no 'there' there." Six years later, I still troll the low-information types here on the forum about all those cases and trials for Treason, Sedition, and Collusion that NO ONE EVER SAW. And they still tap dance around it just like this nameless douche did here. If you or your news org had been caught being wrong on almost every news broadcast you did for 4-6 years and you didn't even have the balls/decency/ethics to apologize or explain why we should listen to anything you say going forward knowing that your network, and Fox, and CNN exist to produce megatons of completely meaningless propaganda. Why would any educated person invest even a nano-second in any show they KNOW to be bull****? You cannot attain any knowledge from people that have failed miserably for DECADES to right their ship and start doing fact-based news.

If the Twitter stuff had gone to MSNBC, there would have been NOTHING said about one word of it.

Fox is the propaganda arm of the RNC. MSNBC/CNN is the propaganda arm of the DNC. 

And Tucker and Maddow, who are close friends btw, used the same defense when sued. Their shows ARE NOT FACT BASED. They are opinion. Maddow lied repeatedly, as did/does Carlson. They dodged the lawsuits because the courts held that NO ONE with a brain thought that they were telling the truth or facts or anything but disinformation.

https://www.courthousenews.com/ninth-circuit-backs-dismissal-of-defamation-suit-against-rachel-maddow/

In a 24-page order Tuesday, U.S. Circuit Judge Milan D. Smith Jr. found a six-word statement uttered by Maddow when reporting that an OAN correspondent moonlighted as a freelance reporter for Kremlin-backed Sputnik News was “an obvious exaggeration, cushioned within an undisputed news story.”

The George W. Bush appointee added: “The statement could not reasonably be understood to imply an assertion of objective fact, and therefore, does not amount to defamation.”

In a segment on her show July 22, 2019, Maddow highlighted a story published the same day by The Daily Beast which revealed OAN’s on-air politics reporter Kristian Rouz simultaneously wrote for Sputnik News.

OAN never filed a lawsuit against The Daily Beast or its senior national security correspondent Kevin Poulsen. The facts reported in the story were never disputed.

During her segment, Maddow called The Daily Beast article a “sparkly story” and said the Donald Trump-endorsed news network “really literally is paid Russian propaganda.”

OAN sued Maddow, Comcast and NBC in the Southern District of California that fall, claiming Maddow’s “Russian propaganda” comment “is false and intended to malign and harm OAN,” a San Diego-based independent news network entirely financed by the Herring family.

In 2020, U.S. District Judge Cynthia Bashant, a Barack Obama appointee, found Maddow’s comment was opinion, not fact, and dismissed the case.

Earlier this year, Bashant awarded Maddow’s attorneys $247,000 for their defense of the political newscaster.

During the July court hearing on whether to revive the case, Smith questioned whether it was “obvious” Maddow wasn’t breaking a news story because a screenshot of The Daily Beast article was featured behind her during the segment.

Judge Smith also asked whether it was unreasonable for Maddow to suggest OAN was “tainted” by one of its employees also doing work for the Russian news network.

Smith reiterated his comments in his opinion Tuesday.

He found OAN and its parent company were unlikely to prevail on the defamation claim because the challenged speech was not a statement of fact and the context of Maddow’s show made it likely her audience would expect her to make political opinions.

Smith noted: “It seems Herring agrees with this conclusion as well,” based on its complaint which characterized Maddow as “a liberal television host” and MSNBC’s programming as “liberal politics.”

“The medium through which the contested statement was made supports Maddow’s argument that a reasonable viewer would not conclude the statement implies an assertion of fact,” Smith wrote.

Maddow’s tone throughout the segment — where she laughed, shook her head and acted “astonished” at the news revealed by The Daily Beast article — also bolstered her claim a reasonable viewer would understand she was not breaking news, Smith wrote.

I'd suggest going back and looking into Hasan before he joined MSNBC in 2021. He's a fire breathing Bernie supporter and hardly a mouthpiece for the DNC. 

58 minutes ago, AUDub said:

More ad hominems. You guys are so lazy it borders on parody. It's hilarious watching you twist yourselves into pretzels to run cover for Taibbi and his journalistic malpractice.

Hassan took a serious scalpel to the central claims of Taibbi's reporting, but y'all don't wanna talk about that. 

By the way, Mehdi Hassan is an award winning journalist in his own right, having worked under Greenwald at the Intercept and at Al Jazeera.

He pointed out two issues with the piece that Taibbi admitted to and corrected. See his tweets following.

Look Dub, we all know you are one of the True-Blue Believers, but let me explain it to you one more time. In 100s of pages of reporting on Twittergate nameless douchebag found two things that were wrong and one wrong by date alone. OTW MT got the timeline line in error on the numbers, but not the numbers themselves. For that he should get high praise from MSNBC who gets s*** wrong 24-7-365. 

MT did screw one thing up. He should have been ready to discuss how Twitter was denying free speech in India. THAT is on MT 100%.

But the fact that nameless douchebag DID NOT DENY FOR A SECOND THAT MSNBC LIED FOR SIX YEARS should be telling enough. 

Edited by DKW 86

14 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I'd suggest going back and looking into Hasan before he joined MSNBC in 2021. He's a fire breathing Bernie supporter and hardly a mouthpiece for the DNC. 

Who? The slack-jawed mule working for MSNBC is a perpetual DNC ass-kisser.

Edited by DKW 86

49 minutes ago, AUDub said:

They get real bored with facts that dispute their narrative. And as much as David complains about narratives, no one clings to them more.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

They get real bored with facts that dispute their narrative. And as much as David complains about narratives, no one clings to them more.

Says the narrative monkey. For true narrative slavishness, I would recommend dub, homey, yourself, and several others. 

I am as anti-narrative as anyone on the board. 

• Haha 1