Can we at least watch before we judge?

TexasTiger

Folks are up in arms over the mere existence of this interview. Perhaps it’s crap. I don’t think Leslie Stahl is particularly good at this, nor is anyone else at 60 Minutes. No one there now could hold Mike Wallace’s…microphone. But I’m so exhausted with the notion conversations, interviews, discussions can’t even take place and the belief that if such engagements, particularly with folks already in positions of power, occur they are being “platformed”. Bad ideas need to be challenged with better ideas. Most conservatives in public life now distort and deflect instead of taking on Democratic positions in an honest way. Increasingly many liberals now want to not engage at all. Rational discourse is increasingly rare and the battle of ideas usually goes unwaged.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/60-minutes-blasted-marjorie-taylor-211900363.html

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Folks are up in arms over the mere existence of this interview. Perhaps it’s crap. I don’t think Leslie Stahl is particularly good at this, nor is anyone else at 60 Minutes. No one there now could hold Mike Wallace’s…microphone. But I’m so exhausted with the notion conversations, interviews, discussions can’t even take place and the belief that if such engagements, particularly with folks already in positions of power, occur they are being “platformed”. Bad ideas need to be challenged with better ideas. Most conservatives in public life now distort and deflect instead of taking on Democratic positions in an honest way. Increasingly many liberals now want to not engage at all. Rational discourse is increasingly rare and the battle of ideas usually goes unwaged.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/60-minutes-blasted-marjorie-taylor-211900363.html

Agreed,  I don't get the outrage at simply interviewing her. I think the woman is absolutely reprehensible, but as you said the free exchange of ideas is crucial. 60 Minutes is quite able to fact check her and call out her BS, something that Fox News will never do. Let people see her for who she really is.

Additionally, If you don't do this interview, you prove to the hard right that you're every bit as biased as they've been claiming because you're silencing their voices. 

I'm actually amazed MTG agreed to do the interview, and even more amazed that she praised Stahl. Very interested to watch this later. 

• Like 1

Just now, Leftfield said:

Agreed,  I don't get the outrage at simply interviewing her. I think the woman is absolutely reprehensible, but as you said the free exchange of ideas is crucial. 60 Minutes is quite able to fact check her and call out her BS, something that Fox News will never do. Let people see her for who she really is.

Additionally, If you don't do this interview, you prove to the hard right that you're every bit as biased as they've been claiming because you're silencing their voices. 

I'm actually amazed MTG agreed to do the interview, and even more amazed that she praised Stahl. Very interested to watch this later. 

Agreed. A bit concerned by the praise, actually. 😉

• Like 1

Turned out to be a terrible interview. Stahl apparently didn't do very much research on Greene or her brand of Conservative politics and rhetoric before the interview and was seemingly shocked and caught off guard when MTG started calling Democrats pedophiles and groomers. Shouldn't have been a surprise at all because Greene says that stuff repeatedly in other interviews and weekly on twitter. Stahl probably didn't even know that 'pedophile and groomer' are used as slurs on the right for those who support lgbtq people and rights. 

Instead of challenging her on it or really pressing her on those claims like a real journalist, Stahl just gasped, looked stunned, muttered out a 'no they aren't' and then continued on with the interview apparently not knowing what else to say. 

60 minuets Might as well just bring on a full fledged neo-nazi next and let them throw out 'death to Jews chants on air while Stahl gazes on, taken aback, saying "now that's not a very nice thing to say" 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Turned out to be a terrible interview. Stahl apparently didn't do very much research on Greene or her brand of Conservative politics and rhetoric before the interview and was seemingly shocked and caught off guard when MTG started calling Democrats pedophiles and groomers. Shouldn't have been a surprise at all because Greene says that stuff repeatedly in other interviews and weekly on twitter. Stahl probably didn't even know that 'pedophile and groomer' are used as slurs on the right for those who support lgbtq people and rights. 

Instead of challenging her on it or really pressing her on those claims like a real journalist, Stahl just gasped, looked stunned, muttered out a 'no they aren't' and then continued on with the interview apparently not knowing what else to say. 

60 minuets Might as well just bring on a full fledged neo-nazi next and let them throw out 'death to Jews chants on air while Stahl gazes on, taken aback, saying "now that's not a very nice thing to say" 

Stahl was never stellar imo, but she’s slipped even further. Not quick on her feet and not really prepared. Chris Wallace would have likely done much better.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2023 at 9:38 AM, TexasTiger said:

It's funny how when people who express non-mainstream ideas that we like, it's seen as "representation" and is a good thing, but when it's someone we think is extreme and wrong, it's "platforming" and it's bad.

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It's funny how when people who express non-mainstream ideas that we like, it's seen as "representation" and is a good thing, but when it's someone we think is extreme and wrong, it's "platforming" and it's bad.

“Representation” is generally mentioned when a person is from a group deemed “marginalized.” I’m not sure that can reasonably be said about MGT. My point is she’s there and already powerful. She’s newsworthy. But the media often does merely amplify such folks instead of fairly, but appropriately, challenging them. Ultimately, Stahl did a poor job here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

“Representation” is generally mentioned when a person is from a group deemed “marginalized.” I’m not sure that can reasonably be said about MGT.

I imagine some conservatives would say that outside of Fox, their views are often "marginalized" - either barely given airtime compared to ideas on the other side of the aisle, or cast in a negative light by "mainstream" media outlets.  I'm not saying the accusations or labels always fit, I'm just commenting on the perspectives people have.

5 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

My point is she’s there and already powerful. She’s newsworthy. But the media often does merely amplify such folks instead of fairly, but appropriately, challenging them. Ultimately, Stahl did a poor job here.

I haven't seen the interview yet, but I cannot imagine an journalist worth their salt could give her more than 5 minutes of airtime without challenging her on stuff.  The woman is literally incapable of talking sense or being truthful.  She's like a QAnon wind up monkey toy that just bangs cymbals together while muttering inanities.  And brainless Georgia Republicans lap it up and keep voting for her so she has no incentive to change.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I imagine some conservatives would say that outside of Fox, their views are often "marginalized" - either barely given airtime compared to ideas on the other side of the aisle, or cast in a negative light by "mainstream" media outlets.  I'm not saying the accusations or labels always fit, I'm just commenting on the perspectives people have.

I haven't seen the interview yet, but I cannot imagine an journalist worth their salt could give her more than 5 minutes of airtime without challenging her on stuff.  The woman is literally incapable of talking sense or being truthful.  She's like a QAnon wind up monkey toy that just bangs cymbals together while muttering inanities.  And brainless Georgia Republicans lap it up and keep voting for her so she has no incentive to change.

Some of MGT’s views, while couched in extreme ways, are “old school.”

Stahl halfheartedly challenged, but not well.