CNN fires Don Lemon

NolaAuTiger

I guess it's news-media-personality culling day. 

• Like 1

It was time for both to go. Too many of our news organizations are taking sides instead of just presenting the facts and letting the viewing Public determine what they meant. I can give examples on both sides like Fox reporting on election malfeasance and Dominion calling them on it. On CNN side knowing that the Steele Dossier was paid for by Democratic party and Hilary Clinton campaign and pushing it as gospel. I am sure that some people on the far right will still claim Fox was right on the election malfeasance as related to Dominion servers and some on the left will still try and claim that Steele Dossier was legitimate.

Hopefully this is a sign that at least some of our news organizations are going back to only reporting the news. Maybe this is also a sign that politics is moving back toward the center and away from extremes on both the left and the right. I am hoping but time will tell.

• Love 1

Way over due! What took them so long??

don sold us a lemon..........grins  good riddance to you as well sir.............

• Like 1

Don Lemon Out at CNN: ‘I Am Stunned’

Anchor was one of the network's most prominent figures, but garnered controversy earlier this year with sexist comments about women's "prime" years
don lemon cnn ousted fired
Don Lemon Cindy Ord/Getty Images
Tucker Carlson isn’t the only cable news host leaving a major network today. Don Lemon is officially out at CNN.

Lemon shared the news on Twitter Monday, April 24, writing that he was “informed this morning by my agent” that he’d been ousted from the network. Lemon said he was “stunned” and appeared to take a jab at CNN, saying, “After 17 years at CNN I would have thought that someone in management would have had the decency to tell me directly.”

CNN confirmed Lemon’s departure in a statement shared on their PR team’s Twitter: “CNN and Don have parted ways. Don will forever be a part of the CNN family, and we thank him for his contributions over the past 17 years. We wish him well and will be cheering him on in his future endeavors.”

No reason for Lemon’s ouster was given, and the anchor said he hadn’t received “any indication that I would not be able to continue to do the work I have loved at the network.” He added: “It is clear that there are some larger issues at play.”

But CNN pushed back on that claim in a follow-up tweet, writing, “Don Lemon’s statement about this morning’s events is inaccurate. He was offered an opportunity to meet with management but instead released a statement on Twitter.”

Lemon’s statement concluded with a thank you to his “colleagues and the many teams I have worked with for an incredible run. They are the most talented journalists in the business, and I wish them all the best.”

Lemon ostensibly received the bad news after taping Monday’s episode of CNN This Morning, which he co-hosted as usual with Poppy Harlow and Kaitlan Collins. The show debuted about six months ago, and per a statement from CNN CEO Chris Licht (shared via CNN), the network remains “committed to its success.” 

After joining CNN in 2006, Lemon rose to become one of the network’s most high-profile presenters and journalists. Before joining CNN This Morning late last year, he hosted his own popular primetime series, Don Lemon Tonight, from 2014 to 2022. 

Back in February, however, Lemon garnered controversy after making sexist comments about Republican presidential hopeful Nikki Haley and the years women are “considered to be in their prime.” Lemon issued an apology and spent several days off the air, with Licht saying at the time that the anchor had “agreed to participate in formal training, as well as continuing to listen and learn.” 

According to The New York Times, however, the fallout from the incident has lingered, putting Lemon’s future on shaky ground. CNN’s bookers were reportedly struggling to find guests that wanted to appear on-air with Lemon, while research showed Lemon’s popularity had dipped with audiences. 

RS_logo_small_red.svg

Get unlimited access to RollingStone.com on all of your devices.

1 hour ago, NolaAuTiger said:

The Nikki Haley comment was blown out of proportion IMO. 

He had legions of issues long before the Haley remarks.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

It was time for both to go. Too many of our news organizations are taking sides instead of just presenting the facts and letting the viewing Public determine what they meant. I can give examples on both sides like Fox reporting on election malfeasance and Dominion calling them on it. On CNN side knowing that the Steele Dossier was paid for by Democratic party and Hilary Clinton campaign and pushing it as gospel. I am sure that some people on the far right will still claim Fox was right on the election malfeasance as related to Dominion servers and some on the left will still try and claim that Steele Dossier was legitimate.

Hopefully this is a sign that at least some of our news organizations are going back to only reporting the news. Maybe this is also a sign that politics is moving back toward the center and away from extremes on both the left and the right. I am hoping but time will tell.

I never paid attention to the Steele Dossier, but it isn't as though Trump didn't fit the part. 

Anyone claiming malfeasance related to Dominion needs to just confess to being an idiot at this point.  Nothing has been that disproven since we discovered the earth was indeed not flat.

• Love 1

18 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Way past due. The guy is misogynist egomaniac. 

I never understood how some gay men are way beyond catty with the women around them. What DL said, on many occasions was way beyond the pale. A woman peaks in her 20s? Really? All women are is their sexuality and youth? That's it?

20 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

He had legions of issues long before the Haley remarks.

I meant, viewed in isolation. I now understand it was supposedly the straw that broke the camel's back. 

4 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

A woman peaks in her 20s. Really. All women are is their sexuality and youth. That's it.

Replace all those question marks with periods and you see the unbridled power of punctuation. 

• Haha 1