Do We Need To Be Concerned About Cox?

LegalEagle

We all know Cox has a history of illness. Now, he's having problems with his throwing arm/shoulder. Several days over the past week, I've read that he's been held out from throwing. He didn't throw yesterday or the day before. He's reported to have "lingering discomfort." That doesn't sound like a medical diagnosis to me, and surely he's seen the doc.

Maybe he rests some more and can go full speed against Tech, but what about the next week, and the next , and the next?

I hope it's nothing, but I'm getting concerned, especially with the back-up QB situation.

Any thoughts?

I am not a doc, but this does not sound encouring to me. For a person's arm to be that sore to miss two days of throwing (again), it sounds like a baseball pitcher that threw 125 pitches at 95 mph. I do not recall in previous years other QB's (Campbell, Cobb, etc) sitting out during practice because of an overworked sore arm. I hope the bullpen is getting ready.

Cox didn't throw during the morning session because of a sore shoulder for the fourth practice session in a week. And then he didn't throw again in a lighter afternoon session. Tuberville said he may hold out Cox again today.

Don't worry about Cox, Tuberville insisted, pointing to the fact Cox was solid in last Saturday's scrimmage. He said Cox's shoulder is tired from "throwing a ton of balls. We've thrown more balls this year in practice than last year."

Birmingham News Link

Tuberville says not to worry, I'm not worried.

Have you guys ever attempted to throw a water soaked football? A few times, much less a hundred times? Coach Tuberville says that he will be fine. His arm is sore because of over use. I do not think that Coach Tuberville is a liar. Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill. There are plenty of folks that would line up to do just that where Auburn is concerned. BC will be just fine and the techsters will get a very large "dose" of his "sore" arm in a few weeks. :au:

p.s. That glass of mine is still half full. :)

The rain that the players have had to deal with has played a major part in his arm being sore. When trying to throw a wet football, it puts a lot more pressure on your arm, and tires you out much quicker. It is way to early to be thinking about a couple weeks into the season. We haven't heard about this before because in years past the weather during summer practice was dryer than it has been this year.

A sore arm happens. The players are just in meetings today because of classes starting, and then they hit the field again tomorrow. I expect to see Cox out there throwing like he has been.

...and besides, much like running with ankle weights, maybe throwing all those wet balls will but an extra zing in his tosses when he plays a game with dry balls.

["Hee, hee, he said 'playing with dry balls', hee, hee"--Beavis and/or Butthead]

Have you guys ever attempted to throw a water soaked football? A few times, much less a hundred times? Coach Tuberville says that he will be fine. His arm is sore because of over use. I do not think that Coach Tuberville is a liar. Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill. There are plenty of folks that would line up to do just that where Auburn is concerned. BC will be just fine and the techsters will get a very large "dose" of his "sore" arm in a few weeks. :au:

p.s. That glass of mine is still half full. :)

174503[/snapback]

WAR EAGLE WAR TIM!!!!!!

\

:au::nanner:

He and the receivers probably have their timing pretty well down. With him not throwing, this is getting some time for the backups to work, probably a huge concern for Auburn right now, more so than a sore arm...

CAB and CTT have thrown the whole D at BC to get him ready. They have overthrown the ball getting him ready. We have almost neglected the running game uptil now. Do not worry. he should be fine by kick-off.

Just think of it as an icepack after pitching in MLB.

Sources on the training staff are not worried in the least. TMWOI!

Sportscall said he would be back throwing on thursday. Between the rain soaked ball and the amount mhe has thrown compared to previous years of QBS I am not the least bit worried

Tom Brady has even been held out of a few practices in training camp this season due to soreness from chunking the pigskin around all day everyday. I'm not worried.

Let's see HOW many more days til Tech. ERRRR

As the "medical expert" of the group, I think I can say that this is a little concerning, though the heavy football and extra work can contribute.

A sore arm after a day of throwing can produce soreness, especially in the rotator cuff and medial(inside) of the arm from producing a spiral. However, it seems that Cox has had quite a bit of soreness, lasting for more than a few days. It seems to me from the outside (remember that I trust the training staff that sees him every day more than our information) that BC might have problems throughout the season with an inflamed cuff. We shall see--but we DO need to be working a backup plan for the season. :au:

Guest Tigrinum Major
A sore arm after a day of throwing can produce soreness,

174579[/snapback]

I apologize beforehand, pass, for the comment that will come across my keyboard:

You get the award for the Strong Grasp of the Obvious Post of the Day.

I believe Cox has Myasthenia Gravis. This causes weakness of muscles that are used repeatedly. The more you throw, the weaker you get. I wonder if this is not the "soreness" we keep hearing about. That would make the most sense.

Guest Tigrinum Major

From an ITAT thread:

Gus Frerotte:

Players were also told Frerotte, who was held out of practice last Saturday because of a slightly sore arm, will start the second exhibition game against the Jacksonville Jaguars, in keeping with Saban's original plan.

Tim Couch:

Couch essentially sat out all of last week because of the soreness in his throwing arm but returned Monday to regular work.

Tom Brady:

QB Tom Brady (NE) has a sore arm/elbow…

Aaron Brooks:

Brooks missed practice Monday and is listed as doubtful for the game...."but it's still sore and fatigued," Brooks said of his sore arm.

Tim Rattay:

Quarterback Tim Rattay didn’t participate in throwing drills with the San Francisco 49ers to rest his sore arm. Rattay is expected to play Sunday at Chicago, but might not throw the ball in practice this week unless his ailing arm feels better. Rattay missed three weeks earlier in the season with a similar strain.

Doug Flutie:

QB Doug Flutie (arm) has been limited to non-throwing drills since 7/28/03 and missed practice all together on 7/31/03.

Brad Johnson:

QB Brad Johnson (sore arm) has been held out of practice after suffering a sore throwing arm.

Jeff Garcia:

…and Garcia missed practice Thursday with a sore arm.

Kurt Warner:

All the work that went into the unsuccessful effort to groom Joe Germaine for the No. 2 job left Warner's arm fresh. Remember, he had a sore arm for much of training camp a year ago.

Archived