Do We Need To Be Concerned About Cox?

LegalEagle

From an ITAT thread:
Gus Frerotte:

Players were also told Frerotte, who was held out of practice last Saturday because of a slightly sore arm, will start the second exhibition game against the Jacksonville Jaguars, in keeping with Saban's original plan.

Tim Couch:

Couch essentially sat out all of last week because of the soreness in his throwing arm but returned Monday to regular work.

Tom Brady:

QB Tom Brady (NE) has a sore arm/elbow…

Aaron Brooks:

Brooks missed practice Monday and is listed as doubtful for the game...."but it's still sore and fatigued," Brooks said of his sore arm.

Tim Rattay:

Quarterback Tim Rattay didn’t participate in throwing drills with the San Francisco 49ers to rest his sore arm. Rattay is expected to play Sunday at Chicago, but might not throw the ball in practice this week unless his ailing arm feels better. Rattay missed three weeks earlier in the season with a similar strain.

Doug Flutie:

QB Doug Flutie (arm) has been limited to non-throwing drills since 7/28/03 and missed practice all together on 7/31/03.

Brad Johnson:

QB Brad Johnson (sore arm) has been held out of practice after suffering a sore throwing arm.

Jeff Garcia:

…and Garcia missed practice Thursday with a sore arm.

Kurt Warner:

All the work that went into the unsuccessful effort to groom Joe Germaine for the No. 2 job left Warner's arm fresh. Remember, he had a sore arm for much of training camp a year ago.

174614[/snapback]

GREAT post! I hope this puts this one to rest. :au::football:

After a day off on Wednesday, he still did not throw Thursday due to a sore shoulder.

http://www.tigerland.com/story.html?1124427675008403

Say what you want, but this is not normal. Our QB has never started a college game and now it's been at least 4 days he hasn't thrown a ball.

I personally have suffered from rotator cuff tendonitis and I can tell you it's not any fun. Mine was caused from throwing a baseball though. I can pick up a football and throw all day but more than 3 throws with a baseball and I can't even lift my arm.

And on the cortisone comment, I had one of those and it was awesome. It only lasted for about a month though, and the doc wouldn't give me another one. :angry:

But Cox plays for an SEC football team and I played for a 5A high school. I'd be willing to bet they have all the cortisone he could ask for.

Update:

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/mobilereg...4670.xml&coll=3

Friday, August 19, 2005

Cox threw sparingly in Thursday's practice due to a sore shoulder. The sophomore played in Saturday's scrimmage, but has missed or been restricted in five practice sessions since then.

Dr. James Andrews and Dr. Larry Lemak have both checked Cox's shoulder, and said that it was merely inflammation that should get better with rest.

"After tomorrow and maybe the next day, I'll be fine," Cox said. "The pain is like a sore arm. It's nothing severe."

Cox said if Auburn were playing this Saturday, he would be ready to start.

"Definitely, I could (play)," he said. "I've never really had any shoulder or elbow problems. It's something that's new for me."

Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said coaches would err on the side of caution with Cox.

"We don't want to re-aggravate it," Tuberville said. "We don't need him right now. We need to find a No. 2 guy. We know who the No. 1 guy is."

I agree with LegalEagle. I do not think it is normal. Will it be a problem for games? Probably not. Will it be a problem for preparation and practice? Who knows. But for a new starting QB to miss 4,5, or 6 days of practice with the first O there is some impact whether it is timing or learning a portion of the offense.

Archived