2023 Juco Big Addarin Scott Commits To AU!

toddc

10 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Seems Bruce has had to ‘settle’ for a couple of spots…

Not getting nothing but flashy recruits isn't the same as settling. I think maybe we've gotten a wee bit spoiled by the success of the basketball program. I'm excited as hell about the lineup Bruce has put together. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Not getting nothing but flashy recruits isn't the same as settling. I think maybe we've gotten a wee bit spoiled by the success of the basketball program. I'm excited as hell about the lineup Bruce has put together. 

That’s called raising expectorations, though.  I’m not saying he can’t get what he wants out of them once on campus. We’ll just have to see. They may have better careers than the A-listers.

14 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Seems Bruce has had to ‘settle’ for a couple of spots…

It's important to get certain role players just as much. Besides that I like that his name sounds like a infomercial for something- like the only prescription is more Addarin. 

• Haha 2

I’m predicting this guy will end up all-SEC 2nd team.  In fact, I’m so confident that if it somehow doesn’t happen then I’ll leave the site forever.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

That’s called raising expectorations, though.  I’m not saying he can’t get what he wants out of them once on campus. We’ll just have to see. They may have better careers than the A-listers.

The expectation he's given me, based on his time at Auburn, is that his recruiting classes usually have a likely NBA player coming from high school and key transfers (be they portal or JUCO). This year, Bruce shifted tactics because of the dynamics of the transfer portal and the likelihood that a freshman who isn't getting to play as much as he thinks he should is going to leave after that season.

But he still got that likely NBA player out of high school in Aden Holloway and filled out the roster with shooters--something we've been short on the last couple of years (outside of Jabari, of course)--from the portal. He left off the developmental players from high school because of the aforementioned portal dynamics and instead filled out with a bunch of BruceBall prototypes who have already gotten post-high school experience.

And just as important is that he still brought back a core of guys who have been here and been through the fires for continuity's sake. I admittedly wear orange and blue shades, but this really feels like it's shaping up to be a really, really good team.

• Like 3

If they gel and don't peak too early, I like the lineup. Totally agree , Red.

But then again, I have O&B glasses and I'm an eternal optimist. 

• Like 1

I like the lineup overall. I'm slightly dissapointed on this latest recruit. I dont see why at this point in our trajectory as a program or pearl as a coach we need to recruit someone that will get playing time thats relatively one dimensional (the we got him for rebound help argument).

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

I like the lineup overall. I'm slightly dissapointed on this latest recruit. I dont see why at this point in our trajectory as a program or pearl as a coach we need to recruit someone that will get playing time thats relatively one dimensional (the we got him for rebound help argument).

I don’t know where the interpretation is that he will get minutes is coming from 

You think the third center (probably fourth, more accurately) and least talented 4-5 will get any minutes in a semi-competitive game?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t know where the interpretation is that he will get minutes is coming from 

You think the third center (probably fourth, more accurately) and least talented 4-5 will get any minutes in a semi-competitive game?

It came from E saying he is being brought in to help rebounding. To do that, he would presumably need to play minutes.

It's slightly surprising that under Bruce we are scrambling to add help with rebounding. Bruce's teams feel like they're historically relentless on the glass and that has paired really well with our volume shooting and forcing chaos defense. Last year felt like an abberation with how we got killed on the boards in some games. I hope we are better this year although the personnel will largely be the same. Spreading the floor with shooting may provide more opportunity for our guys on the offensive glass. I'm hopeful for that. 

But adding a 3rd guy to play center is important. Having an emergency option at the 5 to account for foul trouble can and will come in handy as we navigate the SEC grind with our style of defense. Ideally we'd also have a 3rd guy who can be a primary ball handler in case of emergency as well. 

4 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

If you just look at this as another guy to occupy the scholarship spot that Stretch was taking up, it feels like a win. Basically a third string 4-5 who might be able to contribute a couple of decent minutes in a dire foul/injury situation, which we didn't have last year. Good transfers aren't lining up to sit behind established starters so it's likely the best available option to add depth. 

Edited by Sani-Freeze
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

relatively one dimensional (the we got him for rebound help argument).

@KansasTiger Who says he's one dimensional? I haven't seen a scouting report on him.

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

least talented 4-5 will get any minutes in a semi-competitive game?

@Dual-Threat Rigby If he can rebound & our 4s are getting eaten alive on the boards in a game then yes.

3 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

It came from E saying he is being brought in to help rebounding. To do that, he would presumably need to play minutes.

I never said, nor implied he was 1 dimensional.

59 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I never said, nor implied he was 1 dimensional.

Thats fair. I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. I made the assumption based on why you said he was brought in, a quick glance at some stats and who was recruiting him. Our toughest competition was Alabama State. Just felt like there was maybe some other guys out there who might be better equipped.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sani-Freeze said:

If you just look at this as another guy to occupy the scholarship spot that Stretch was taking up, it feels like a win. Basically a third string 4-5 who might be able to contribute a couple of decent minutes in a dire foul/injury situation, which we didn't have last year. Good transfers aren't lining up to sit behind established starters so it's likely the best available option to add depth. 

I'm ok with that assessment if the primary reason he is being brought in is culture and team morale, similar to the role we heard Stretch filled. If the intent is playing this guy 5-10 min a game for defense and rebounding help, I have a hard time believing this was our best option. Surely theres someone out there at some D2 or a bench warmer with potential at a small G5 school we could take a flier on. Then again, I say that without doing the research and looking what's out there. So who knows. But this dude was choosing between Alabama State and some school I didn't know existed.

It is good we upgraded on the Stretch spot though. I think that’s one objective truth 

I think it’s very few times where a guy is so much of a cultural hub as the end of bench of guy, that it outweighs having a potential contributor there 

16 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

Dennis Rodman had 1 purpose. We now have our Dennis. 

23 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

We have added shooters and we don't have any more starter type positions open so we have no chance to add an All-Star type player. That said we had multiple weaknesses last year short guards, not enough shooting, so so play at the 3, lack of rebounding and like we saw in the bama game when Broome fouled out and Cardwell was down nobody to bring in at the 5. 

Our new guards are taller, statistically we will be a much better shooting team, we should be better at the 3 with players we have brought in. That said we had not addressed the rebounding or the 3rd 5 if fouls or injuries leave us in a predicament. This last guy can hit the boards and also backup the 5 in an emergency. As I said in an earlier post he won't be a super star he won't be a starter and while I didn't say it in earlier post he probably won't be used a lot but he is the depth piece we need in some situations. Pearl and staff got the best they could to fill this backup niche type situation.

Of course you want to get Star players but sometimes get the right piece could help you win a close game. If we had him last year instead f stretch we would not have had Moore playing the 5 against bama but to be honest he actually did pretty well in the boards and gave us a couple of chances. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

We have added shooters and we don't have any more starter type positions open so we have no chance to add an All-Star type player. That said we had multiple weaknesses last year short guards, not enough shooting, so so play at the 3, lack of rebounding and like we saw in the bama game when Broome fouled out and Cardwell was down nobody to bring in at the 5. 

Our new guards are taller, statistically we will be a much better shooting team, we should be better at the 3 with players we have brought in. That said we had not addressed the rebounding or the 3rd 5 if fouls or injuries leave us in a predicament. This last guy can hit the boards and also backup the 5 in an emergency. As I said in an earlier post he won't be a super star he won't be a starter and while I didn't say it in earlier post he probably won't be used a lot but he is the depth piece we need in some situations. Pearl and staff got the best they could to fill this backup niche type situation.

Of course you want to get Star players but sometimes get the right piece could help you win a close game. If we had him last year instead f stretch we would not have had Moore playing the 5 against bama but to be honest he actually did pretty well in the boards and gave us a couple of chances. 

The first half of your post is unnecessary. We don't disagree there. My argument is surely there's some middle ground when discussing our bench. I don't and never expected star players in bench roster spots and never said as much. But surely there's something out there in-between star player and guy being recruited by Texas A&M Commerce. I'm judging this based off what I've seen programs like KU and KState bring in for roster depth the past year or two. I'm just saying, it doesn't impress me. Maybe it was our only option, and if so, ok, I guess.

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

And in all fairness, KState brought in a JUCO in Tomlin and he turned into a gem of a get. It can happen. I dont expect that here, but the coaching staff can see and knows way more than I ever will. I dont have a reason to doubt BP overall with the decisions he has made so far this offseason. So please don't take my comments as disparaging to the overall team build or how Bruce has approached this offseason. This was just a one off eval.

• Like 1

And in all fairness, KState brought in a JUCO in Tomlin and he turned into a gem of a get. It can happen. I dont expect that here, but the coaching staff can see and knows way more than I ever will. I dont have a reason to doubt BP overall with the decisions he has made so far this offseason. So please don't take my comments as disparaging to the overall team build or how Bruce has approached this offseason. This was just a one off eval.

Never thought you were disparaging Bruce. I think you have a good grasp of talent Bruce has pulled in and like you ideally I would have liked a stronger player also but how many strong players would want to come where they might get minimal PT.  I think this player is best we could get so am happy to have him.

• Like 2

'but how many strong players would want to come where they might get minimal playing time?'

100%

To back up out backups? I'm gonna guess none. 

I would love it if Scott proves me wrong, though.

Edited by JuscAUse!

Welcome to Auburn Mr Scott!!! I hope you take advantage of all we have to offer and you excel here!! War Eagle!!!

• Like 1