Washington State game

Aubie7

He mentioned conference realignment?hmmm--

Also, I think he's dragging his feet on the basketball facilities...until we have them we cannot compete for good recruits in the SEC.

but that's not football, right?

Guest Tigrinum Major
He mentioned conference realignment?hmmm--

Also, I think he's dragging his feet on the basketball facilities...until we have them we cannot compete for good recruits in the SEC.

but that's not football, right?

175896[/snapback]

If he was talking about the SEC realigning, I would welcome a move to the East so we could revive the rivalries with UT and Florida.

Auburn has always been an SEC East school caught in the West. We had great rivalries with UGA, Florida and UT. Then the division split came and destroyed first the UT series and then the UF series.

Remember the good old days of Amen Corner? The Auburn-Florida game would kick it off around Halloween, then we had the HC game while The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party raged, then the Bulldogs of Georgia and our Tigers would take it up between the hedges (either place) and then a two week break until the Iron Bowl (as much as I hate Legion Field, the 50-50 split in the old days was awesome for atmosphere.) Granted, it was difficult to get through that unscathed, but I would take it anyday over Ole Miss and Miss State year after year.

I say we swap Vandy for Auburn and realign the divisions so that Bama can have all their patsies back every year and let LSU wreck havoc on the West. We can still play them every year in Atlanta to keep that rivalry going. Bama stays on the schedule as our interdivisonal rival.

I have way too much time on my hands...

I'm confused!!!!

I don't mind having the rivalries the way they are now, except that I think we deserve to be in the tougher side of the division, and the west definitely isn't it. If Croom can get State rolling again, then maybe we will look a little better, but I think that might be awhile.

As for now, let's just when every game and then, maybe this year, we'll be where we need to be, regardless if we beat Tenn. or Florida, which I'm sure we will match up with one of them in the SECCG, as long as we get there!!!

I CAN'T WAIT TO FIND OUT!!! WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!!

The best thing that happend to us was to get put in the West. Auburn was the only school playing UAT, :uf::uga::ut: every year. That is the main reason we have not won many SEC championships. :au:

Back in the OLD days, Auburn played UT-lsWHO-GA-Fl EVERY year. uat played FLA-GA only on rare occasions. That, more than anything else, is why we have not won more SECCs. uat was busy playing ole miss-ms. st. -vandy-KY EVERY year. :)

Guest Tigrinum Major
The best thing that happend to us was to get put in the West. Auburn was the only school playing UAT, :uf:   :uga:   :ut: every year. That is the main reason we have not won many SEC champiobships. :au:

175915[/snapback]

Can't disagree with that logic from a SEC championship presepctive, but I liked having the games with UT and Florida and UGA every year. Don't get me wrong, I like a breather from time to time, but I cannot stand playing Arkansas and Ole Miss every year in place of UT and the Gators.

I don't mind having the rivalries the way they are now, except that I think we deserve to be in the tougher side of the division, and the west definitely isn't it.

The East MIGHT be the tougher division today but these things tend to shift over time with coaching changes, etc. AU and LSU are on the same level as UT, UF and UGA. When/if Bama returns to "glory" the West may be the tougher division. JMHO

Also, hasn't the West won 2 of the last 3 and 3 of the last 5 SEC Championships. I don't know if I'd put the East as the tougher division since Spurrier left UF. Just another thought.

"There is conference realignment going on," Jacobs said. "ESPN has been a tremendous help. (Associate commissioner) Mark Womack in the SEC office has been working with us. A lot of things have to fall together."

The Big East and C USA are changing this year. Also the ACC will have a championship game for the first time ever this year. I haven't heard of any other conference changes, have any of you?

I don't mind having the rivalries the way they are now, except that I think we deserve to be in the tougher side of the division, and the west definitely isn't it.

The East MIGHT be the tougher division today but these things tend to shift over time with coaching changes, etc. AU and LSU are on the same level as UT, UF and UGA. When/if Bama returns to "glory" the West may be the tougher division. JMHO

Also, hasn't the West won 2 of the last 3 and 3 of the last 5 SEC Championships. I don't know if I'd put the East as the tougher division since Spurrier left UF. Just another thought.

175922[/snapback]

There are always going to be the "haves" and the "have nots" in the SEC.

West- haves --> :au: , UAT, :lsu:

have nots -> :msu::om::arky:

East - haves --> :uga::ut::uf:

have nots --> :vandy::uk::usc:

Are there exceptions? Sure, every now and then (Once in 30 years?) :om: wins 10 games, :uk: wins 6, :vandy: wins anything

So, to put us in the East, would not be good. It would offset the balance of the league, in the "haves".

Good point Aubie7, the last time a "have not" won the :sec: was :uk: in 1976, and since 1992 only :arky: and :msu: have made it to the SECCG out of the "have not" group and we know what happened in those trips.

It isn't totally clear what he meant by "conference realignment." He could have been talking about the SEC, but I highly doubt it...I think he was referring to the recent expansion of the ACC and the freshly reconstituted Big East.

I could be wrong...your mileage may vary.

If WSU doesn't occur, then I hope there is a decent alternative...another cupcake in addition to Tulane, Villanova and Temple would be ridiculous.

I haven't heard any serious talk about SEC re-organization. I think he must be refereing to possible opponents in other conferences.

I think the SEC is just right the way it is. Aubie7's analysis of the haves & have not's is right on the money (even if it pains me to include Bama in the haves. Hopefully they are well on the path to permanent "have not" status and then we can discuss realignment :D ).

While historically we've had great rivalries with UT & FL, I wouldn't want to add them as long as we already face UG, LSU, and UAT every year. Our schedule is plenty tough as it is, and if we are going to play "haves" beyond those already permanently on our schedule I'd rather pick up a non-conference "have". I also wouldn't want to drop UG or UAT to make room for UT or UF. However, if we exchanged with either of those two east schools with LSU it'd be about the same to me.

Archived