Post-UMass notes

AURex

12 hours ago, AU-24 said:

If this makes you feel any better: Freeze said a couple weeks ago, if they stack the box on us, we’re not even gonna try to run, we’re gonna throw the ball all over the field. Freeze went on to say: if they don’t stack the box, we’re going to run the ball.

Freeze: if they stack the box on us, we’re not even gonna try to run

Gus: if they stack the box on us, we're gonna run it right up the gut

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, japantiger said:

I do not understand putting RA in when we did or the play selection.  He's a one dimensional player.  Thorne can run very well; you could have done anything with him yesterday in that situation that we actually did with RA; but we could also throw the ball with some expectation of a completion with PT in the game.  RA is a good runner...and a well below average passer...WELL BELOW AVG. 

If you have a good runner as your starter (his YPC were basically the same as RA) why take him out to put in a one dimensional backup.  Against the teams that matter; that crap won't work...we've seen this tape before....it was played out all last year.  Get your new starter more reps in a game; and if you want to run it in on the goal line, let PT do it...he's got the legs.  I'd be much more concerned with undermining my starter than making my well below avg SEC QB backup feel good.

Got to love the run game; some serious speed....the passing game was better than we've had since Stidham was there.  Seems like the defense figured it out after a slow start.  Special teams...nice!  Good to win big in a game we should win big in...and looked pretty good doing it.  

To paraphrase what Hugh Freeze in the post game press conference, “We need Robby to win. We will continue to use Robby in games.”
He’s not one dimensional. A one dimensional player would be using a running back or wide receiver with no real experience throwing the ball in that package, like when we ran the Dyer-cat in 2011. Dyer was never going to throw the ball. While Robby is a bit inconsistent doing so, Robby can throw it. Also, according to Auburn beat reporters, the consistency apparently got much better in the off-season for Robby (hence why he pushed Thorne for the starting job).
You put him out there in a game like UMass and have him mostly run it, it goes into the film other coaches are studying. They start to assume we are unlikely to throw it with Robby. Then we design a passing play that leaves Robby throwing to a wide open receiver for a big play in a key game. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Trying to establish and build depth

So glad we have a HC that understands this.  Players live for PT, and this kind of game is the perfect opportunity to provide it.  Thorne looked good, Robbie ran well, Holden threw beautifully, all behind an OL which provided them blocking & time.  WRs made some great catches.  We were able to see the entire RB stable of hosses run (except Quez,) even the preferred walk-on(!)  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sorry guys, Robbie is a career below 50% passer (33% yesterday) who's thrown as many INTs as TDs.  Put him in on the goal line against anyone that matters and you're gonna get outstanding athletes with a stacked box to take away the run and then you're depending on a guy with less probability than tossing a coin to make a play....that sounds like Guz Malzahn "Jeremy Johnson will win the Heisman" logic to me or Brian Harsin "I don't need to recruit, or coach, or, well, work" logic.

I get it many of you guys like him...but he'd only get playing time with Vandy or maybe Mizzou with any other team in the SEC.

You have a starter (in name at least) with good legs than can throw.  Even Lane Kiffin math won't justify putting RA in.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

Post game, the only thing that has bothered me has been the QB split. But I think/hope I’ve figured it out.

This reminds me of back when Kansas City let Alex Smith walk. Everyone I know that is a KC fan was pissed. “So now we are just going to put all of our eggs into the Mahomes basket”. Thing was, there is a reason Big Red is one of the best. He knew he had something special. 

I’m choosing to believe that Freeze know that Thorne is going to be fine. So much so, that he isn’t even worried about PT getting those few extra reps. Ashford needs reps. Lots of them. We all know that. But maybe Payton being healthy is ultimately the most important thing. 

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, japantiger said:

Sorry guys, Robbie is a career below 50% passer (33% yesterday) who's thrown as many INTs as TDs.  Put him in on the goal line against anyone that matters and you're gonna get outstanding athletes with a stacked box to take away the run and then you're depending on a guy with less probability than tossing a coin to make a play....that sounds like Guz Malzahn "Jeremy Johnson will win the Heisman" logic to me or Brian Harsin "I don't need to recruit, or coach, or, well, work" logic.

I get it many of you guys like him...but he'd only get playing time with Vandy or maybe Mizzou with any other team in the SEC.

You have a starter (in name at least) with good legs than can throw.  Even Lane Kiffin math won't justify putting RA in.

I mean, we've seen Gus be super successful with Kodi and some others in the wild cat.  Robby was successful in it last year vs SEC teams. I mean FFS he scored a TD in the RZ vs Alabama last year.  Is that not enough to make your comment about "stacking the box with athletes to take away the run"???

Additionally, he had 2 RZ rushing TDs vs Ole Miss and two more vs Miss State, who had/has some of the best LBs in the SEC and a few DL drafted last year

This is really no different.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, japantiger said:

I have to agree with the post. But when we get to that game, Freeze won't have RA run into a brick wall. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wareagle7298 said:

Freeze: if they stack the box on us, we’re not even gonna try to run

Gus: if they stack the box on us, we're gonna run it right up the gut

Sad but somewhat true. Gus was constantly trying to work on blocking schemes, for certain plays along the line. Of course the problem was he just didn’t have/recruit SEC talented O-lineman. So he felt he had to keep running the same plays over and over again, to try and get the blocking-schemes down.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I mean, we've seen Gus be super successful with Kodi and some others in the wild cat.  Robby was successful in it last year vs SEC teams. I mean FFS he scored a TD in the RZ vs Alabama last year.  Is that not enough to make your comment about "stacking the box with athletes to take away the run"???

Additionally, he had 2 RZ rushing TDs vs Ole Miss and two more vs Miss State, who had/has some of the best LBs in the SEC and a few DL drafted last year

This is really no different.

Even as the announcers continually, repeatedly, stated during the game, Robby is like another running back in the backfield. It’s a shame, but Robby simply does not have a medium to top teir SEC passing arm. He just doesn’t. Like it’s been noted on here: if Payton goes down, most likely Holden will be the starting quarterback, and Robby will continue to have his run packages. It is, what it is.

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Post game, the only thing that has bothered me has been the QB split. But I think/hope I’ve figured it out.

This reminds me of back when Kansas City let Alex Smith walk. Everyone I know that is a KC fan was pissed. “So now we are just going to put all of our eggs into the Mahomes basket”. Thing was, there is a reason Big Red is one of the best. He knew he had something special. 

I’m choosing to believe that Freeze know that Thorne is going to be fine. So much so, that he isn’t even worried about PT getting those few extra reps. Ashford needs reps. Lots of them. We all know that. But maybe Payton being healthy is ultimately the most important thing. 

Does seem like another difference between Freeze and Gus. Gus constantly wanted his new, starting quarterback and running back to get all the reps they possibly could get. Freeze is going to play more than one QB, and running back will be by committee.