Timeclock rule change and commercials

LPTiger

As all of you know, a new rule change this year means the time clock does not stop on a first down except during the last two minutes of each half.   The justification from the NCAA was to speed up the games.   I saw one review of several televised games, and it concluded the total game time did not change at all.   Instead, the games saw more TV timeouts and of course, more commercials.    I know you are all shocked. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

As all of you know, a new rule change this year means the time clock does not stop on a first down except during the last two minutes of each half.   The justification from the NCAA was to speed up the games.   I saw one review of several televised games, and it concluded the total game time did not change at all.   Instead, the games saw more TV timeouts and of course, more commercials.    I know you are all shocked. 

Yep, the clock still stops but the teams have less control over when it stops. Poor rule change but like you said, not shocked. 

Glad I wasn't only one that noticed the increasingly amount of commercials. Seemed forever between timeouts, went to shave through one. Grew beard back through another and had to shave again.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, clwn said:

Glad I wasn't only one that noticed the increasingly amount of commercials. Seemed forever between timeouts, went to shave through one. Grew beard back through another and had to shave again.

Sitting in the stadium was brutal for the endless TV timeouts.  

They need to take into consideration that in a game like that, I can just get up and leave instead of staying to the end, which is what I had planned to do.  Left at start if 4th quarter.  Couldn't take the standing around, nothing going on anymore.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Sitting in the stadium was brutal for the endless TV timeouts.  

They need to take into consideration that in a game like that, I can just get up and leave instead of staying to the end, which is what I had planned to do.  Left at start if 4th quarter.  Couldn't take the standing around, nothing going on anymore.

Why do they all have to be a full 3 minutes?   At one point early we were going fast and it was working well and Umass had a player go down briefly and they were essentially awarded a full 3 plus minutes to re-group, take a breath, re-prepare.   It would be awesome if they took into account, look this team is driving, they are going hurry up, they are at the 20 let's let them score and then we will do the 3 minutes.   Instead it was let's do a full three minutes now and then again after they score. 

17 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I saw one review of several televised games, and it concluded the total game time did not change at all.  

Link?

I'd love to see some aggregate and average data.

interested to see these CBS games and if they get under 3.5 hours or are still pushing 4 hours each week

Stolen from another board:

"My Uncle is an AU grad and fan and sent me this info which he got from a friend who works the Jordan Hare video booth for home games:

"They had 14 "media" time outs for a total of 44 minutes and 20 seconds. Adding time between the quarters and half time gives another 26 minutes and 50 seconds. Grand total of 1 hour 11 minutes and 10 seconds."

I'm thinking this is probably similar to all televised games. I knew it was bad but sheesh."

13 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Stolen from another board:

"My Uncle is an AU grad and fan and sent me this info which he got from a friend who works the Jordan Hare video booth for home games:

"They had 14 "media" time outs for a total of 44 minutes and 20 seconds. Adding time between the quarters and half time gives another 26 minutes and 50 seconds. Grand total of 1 hour 11 minutes and 10 seconds."

I'm thinking this is probably similar to all televised games. I knew it was bad but sheesh."

And the game lasted what 3.5 hours.   So nearly, 1/3rd of the game time was commercials....

42 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Why do they all have to be a full 3 minutes?   At one point early we were going fast and it was working well and Umass had a player go down briefly and they were essentially awarded a full 3 plus minutes to re-group, take a breath, re-prepare.   It would be awesome if they took into account, look this team is driving, they are going hurry up, they are at the 20 let's let them score and then we will do the 3 minutes.   Instead it was let's do a full three minutes now and then again after they score. 

It’s Painful

38 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Link?

I'd love to see some aggregate and average data.

interested to see these CBS games and if they get under 3.5 hours or are still pushing 4 hours each week

Google "Chip Kelly calls time clock changes crazy" and it will pull up one article that contains a limited study.

3 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Google "Chip Kelly calls time clock changes crazy" and it will pull up one article that contains a limited study.

I saw that quote on Twitter and that Google search brings up 100s of articles 

Fewer snaps means fewer opportunities spread out among the players. This will probably impact with quality depth that can start for other teams. This happens anyway, but I can see this ratcheting up. 

42 minutes ago, NCTiger1982 said:

Fewer snaps means fewer opportunities spread out among the players. This will probably impact with quality depth that can start for other teams. This happens anyway, but I can see this ratcheting up. 

Just an FYI....we ran 69 plays yesterday.  That was more than any G5 game in the lsat two years.  Most of those games were around 55-60

22 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Honestly, American football could learn a HUGE lesson from Euro Football.  Let the game play without commercials until the end of quarters.  You have enough time to get your commercials in between quarters AND at halftime.  

And let the game play.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Honestly, American football could learn a HUGE lesson from Euro Football.  Let the game play without commercials until the end of quarters.  You have enough time to get your commercials in between quarters AND at halftime.  

And let the game play.

Europe has a lot of license sported TV networks like the BBC. They allow some commercials during sporting events. 

I never really minded Chick-Fil-A commercials but holy crap those pimento cheese ads...

Progressive is still my most hated though.

Edited by AUwent