Thorne vs Ashford

LPTiger

If he thinks Thorne can improve with the team because it’s not all on the qb spot, then stay with Thorne. If CHF doesn’t think they can improve then go with Robby but you have to change the offense to a run oriented option type that focuses on his strengths. It’s not an easy decision. 

I don't even have the words to express how bad I want us to have a good QB.....I've been waiting so long to have a QB that's charismatic, talented, a leader......I just don't see why it's so hard for us to get a great QB. 

They could hire me right now and if they gave me a year to find one,I just don't think it would be that hard

2 hours ago, alexava said:

If he thinks Thorne can improve with the team because it’s not all on the qb spot, then stay with Thorne. If CHF doesn’t think they can improve then go with Robby but you have to change the offense to a run oriented option type that focuses on his strengths. It’s not an easy decision. 

That’s where the issue remains. I thought Montgomery would be able to tailor his offense to the QB strength. Doesn’t seem to be the case. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't even have the words to express how bad I want us to have a good QB.....I've been waiting so long to have a QB that's charismatic, talented, a leader......I just don't see why it's so hard for us to get a great QB. 

They could hire me right now and if they gave me a year to find one,I just don't think it would be that hard

Don't worry, we have a 50% passer from the bowels of Arkansas Religious Private HS School Division.  He's certainly the answer 

Spoiler

that was in jest before most ppl freak out.  His highlights are nice.  His Comp% is concerning.  Him being a QB from Arkansas is the most concerning b/c they never work out.  Even for Arkansas

Edited by W.E.D

Why don't we play Hank Brown? Not against uga of course but anybody knows how does he look? To me he has the most physical tools out of all the QB's

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 7:33 PM, Gowebb11 said:

There’s a sad reality for AU QBs of late. Auburn is a graveyard for them the past several seasons. Jeremy Johnson showed great promise as a freshman and sophomore. By the time he was a junior he was terrible. Sean White was an Elite 11 guy and fizzled. Stidham had a really good sophomore year then regressed in year two at AU. (His best year statistically for completion % and TD/int was his freshman year at Baylor) Malik Willis was relegated to mop up duty at AU then became an NFL QB at Liberty under Freeze. Nix was very erratic and much maligned  at AU. Now a Heisman contender at Oregon. Finley put up solid numbers at LSU as a freshman, regressed at AU and is now thriving at his new school. Now a guy with 6000 yards and over 50 TDs is suddenly inept at Auburn. This is the third coach it’s happening under. It’s a terrible trend for Auburn and we’re not moving forward as a program until we reverse it. 

I think this is an oversimplification to put it mildly and I don’t think Auburn itself is the problem. The coaches Auburn chooses to hire on the other hand? 

Gus Malzahn is many things but a proven developer of QBs he is not. It’s been well established at this point that as his o-line/running game goes, so goes the rest of the offense/his QB. The only time he’s ever produced QBs with high octane stats were his two years at Tulsa and when had some guy named Cam Newton running the offense. His non-Cam, non-Nick Marshall QBs’ fortunes were entirely tied to the quality of their o-lines and the strength of the running game. 

The less said about Bryan Harsin’s time on the plains and his so-called “offense” the better. He and his staff, particularly the 2022 incarnation were so top to bottom incompetent that they probably set this program back five years. 

That said, Hugh Freeze and Philip Montgomery have a pretty solid track record of fielding good offenses. As painful as the Auburn offense has been to watch this year, I’m not doom and glooming this yet. They have a MASSIVE mess to clean up and it’s going to take awhile. In the meantime, it’s probably going to be pretty ugly to watch. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AUAlumnTN said:

I think this is an oversimplification to put it mildly and I don’t think Auburn itself is the problem. The coaches Auburn chooses to hire on the other hand? 

Gus Malzahn is many things but a proven developer of QBs he is not. It’s been well established at this point that as his o-line/running game goes, so goes the rest of the offense/his QB. The only time he’s ever produced QBs with high octane stats were his two years at Tulsa and when had some guy named Cam Newton running the offense. His non-Cam, non-Nick Marshall QBs’ fortunes were entirely tied to the quality of their o-lines and the strength of the running game. 

The less said about Bryan Harsin’s time on the plains and his so-called “offense” the better. He and his staff, particularly the 2022 incarnation were so top to bottom incompetent that they probably set this program back five years. 

That said, Hugh Freeze and Philip Montgomery have a pretty solid track record of fielding good offenses. As painful as the Auburn offense has been to watch this year, I’m not doom and glooming this yet. They have a MASSIVE mess to clean up and it’s going to take awhile. In the meantime, it’s probably going to be pretty ugly to watch. 

I just wish Hugh would’ve went with someone who is somewhat similar to his offensive style. This offense is completely different than what Liberty had last year and I am just confused as to why he went this direction. Of course, I can say this is completely short sighted as this is his first year but it still odd we look like this going into game 5. 

Even when the OL does a decent job protecting,,, we rarely have a clean pocket.  There are a precious few QBs that can be effective without at least a few seconds of having a clean pocket, particularly after being sacked a few times. 

We have to get better up front before we will see improvement from the QB position.

Edited by icanthearyou

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

This offense is completely different than what Liberty had last year and I am just confused as to why he went this direction.

I agree.  What we are doing now, doesn't look like the Freeze offense I have seen.  The RPO game doesn't look dynamic at all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

I agree.  What we are doing now, doesn't look like the Freeze offense I have seen.  The RPO game doesn't look dynamic at all.

Last year offense was quick hitters, slants, etc. Things that helped the QB and essentially could be consider running plays. This is typical Texas (sorry to offend) spread football with the intention to run the ball. It’s so silly running short yardage plays out of the shotgun without a QB who is a true running threat. 

Playing him because the floor with Payton is so scary we might need RA and he’s scared if he don’t give him playing time he’ll leave. They must have no faith in Holden being the starter.

15 hours ago, cole256 said:

Why don't we play Hank Brown? Not against uga of course but anybody knows how does he look? To me he has the most physical tools out of all the QB's

I am sooooo curious about Hank Brown. Didn't he set records in Tennessee with some impressive stats?  Supposedly he has all the tools and can "make all the throws" Per CHF.   

When he committed  He just needed to:

1.   Gain some weight.   I think I read a recent chart and he he gained like 13 pounds.

2.   Learn the playbook/ read defenses.    I have no idea how that is coming along.

I am kind of a worry wart about playing a true freshmen at QB.   It CAN  be done successfully, but there is a large risk of creating a basket case if things go sideways.   I still want to see him for my own curiosity.

Does anyone have a mini report that has actually seen him in  game like situations @  practice? 

Edited by Quietmaninthecorner

On 9/24/2023 at 8:34 PM, jluvah said:

THE COMMON DENOMINATOR………. NO OFFENSIVE LINE!!!! This isn’t rocket science. Our O-Line has been shat since 2014. That is the sad truth of Auburn football. Haven’t even been serviceable since then, this year included. OC’s can’t trust them, which tells the QB they can’t be trusted to give them time. We’ve had halfway decent qb’s but they’ve been scared they’d get their clocks cleaned. It really is as simple as that. Looking back, Gus’s offense may have been the worst thing to happen to Auburn football in a looooong time. One great season( with 2 miracle finishes to make it great) for 10 years of setting the program back. And he got a 20 million dollar golden parachute to top it off. Makes me sick to my stomach 

Like I have said a million times, until we get a.solid OL our QB play will be average at best.

4 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I am sooooo curious about Hank Brown. Didn't he set records in Tennessee with some impressive stats?  Supposedly he has all the tools and can "make all the throws" Per CHF.   

When he committed  He just needed to:

1.   Gain some weight.   I think I read a recent chart and he he gained like 13 pounds.

2.   Learn the playbook/ read defenses.    I have no idea how that is coming along.

I'm regard to the playbook, I am curious about the disconnect in terminology between Freeze and Montgomery. Freeze has stated that he hesitates to call plays because he might get the terminology wrong. I just don't understand how he could handcuff himself like that when the entire process of not calling plays is new to him anyway. How can a QB be expected to learn the terminology if the HC doesn't even know it? 

Edited by gr82be
Spell check
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gr82be said:

How can a QB be expected to learn the terminology if the HC doesn't even know it? 

I'm not sure every head coach knows the terminology well enough to call plays. I doubt Saban knows. He's had multiple OCs over the last several years.

So that is not a stretch for a coach to not know the terminology if that coach has turned over the OC duties to someone else.

Edited by CCTAU