Fun stat of the day!! Auburn's pathetic passing

W.E.D

Slight context for those last three SEC games from last year. Caddy had taken over and decided (rightly so) to predominantly feature the running game with Ashford at QB. So, I think the lack of pass yds from last year was kinda by design. It worked vs TAMU and almost resulted in a win vs MSU. But yeah, point taken. Absolutely abysmal passing numbers versus teams with a pulse.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Two stats actually

Just terrible. So many fans thought we would have a 1,000 yard WR this year, a 1,000 yard RB (some even said two 1k yard RB's) and a 3,000 yard QB. I didn't think we would have all of that in year 1 but I definitely thought we would be better in all phases of our offense compared to the last few years.

Serious question, if things don't turn for the better with this offense, especially the QB's, would you be worried Perry Thompson might flip? He's already flipped to us so we know he's capable of flipping. That's what I worry about if we don't get this turned around on offense, our commits start decommitting.

4 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Just terrible. So many fans thought we would have a 1,000 yard WR this year, a 1,000 yard RB (some even said two 1k yard RB's) and a 3,000 yard QB. I didn't think we would have all of that in year 1 but I definitely thought we would be better in all phases of our offense compared to the last few years.

Serious question, if things don't turn for the better with this offense, especially the QB's, would you be worried Perry Thompson might flip? He's already flipped to us so we know he's capable of flipping. That's what I worry about if we don't get this turned around on offense, our commits start decommitting.

Possibly? I’m more concerned about offensive linemen and protection for a decent QB to come in and be protected to be able to pass well. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

Possibly? I’m more concerned about offensive linemen and protection for a decent QB to come in and be protected to be able to pass well. 

True. It's all worrisome. This 2024 class currently has one offensive lineman committed, right? DeAndre Carter from California? 

I know we will need to go heavy on the portal for our O-Linemen for atleast 2 more years. But our current O-Line is mainly portal guys we signed and they don't look nearly as good as what most envisioned. Cal and Samford pushed them around and A&M was a disaster. We know we'll have to use the portal but unless we can convince those top O-Line guys in the portal to sign with us, we will keep relying on G-5 level O-Lineman like we currently have. 

Jake Thornton is a damn good O-Line coach from what's been said. Will Friend had also been a good recruiter and O-Line coach at Alabama and Tennessee but he sucked here. It's just frustrating that we always have O-Line problems no matter who our O-Line coach and head coach are. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

What’s Tom Brady doing now days ??

Messing up his face with plastic and botox.  But he can probably still throw.  Let's sneak him in...we could do it since nobody recognizes his face anymore.

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

True. It's all worrisome. This 2024 class currently has one offensive lineman committed, right? DeAndre Carter from California? 

I know we will need to go heavy on the portal for our O-Linemen for atleast 2 more years. But our current O-Line is mainly portal guys we signed and they don't look nearly as good as what most envisioned. Cal and Samford pushed them around and A&M was a disaster. We know we'll have to use the portal but unless we can convince those top O-Line guys in the portal to sign with us, we will keep relying on G-5 level O-Lineman like we currently have. 

Jake Thornton is a damn good O-Line coach from what's been said. Will Friend had also been a good recruiter and O-Line coach at Alabama and Tennessee but he sucked here. It's just frustrating that we always have O-Line problems no matter who our O-Line coach and head coach are. 

We definitely need to land as many OL guys as possible. Stars don’t always matter, but we need big bodies to compete in the SEC. A good OL and strength coach can turn a 3 star into a very capable lineman, if the right guys are signed.  I know HF realized that when he got here and we did land a couple in the 23 class. It’s a shame our prior two coaches didn’t see it that way, hence the ditch we are currently in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah this is horrendous. I don’t expect to be world-beaters over night, but to at least be somewhat capable or better with the basics/fundamentals of the game, yeah I do expect to be better than the bottom of the barrel. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Fun stat of the day!! Auburn's pathetic passing
6 hours ago, AUINSY said:

Yeah this is horrendous. I don’t expect to be world-beaters over night, but to at least be somewhat capable or better with the basics/fundamentals of the game, yeah I do expect to be better than the bottom of the barrel. 

We are now on our 3rd offense minded coach in the last four years and in my opinion, nothing at all has changed. I understand HF inherited a mess, but so did BH to an extent. We have a Big 10 QB that has played at a high level, yet, when he gets here, it’s like he just completely regressed. Yes, we need an OL that’s competent, but does it not also boil down to recruiting certain players and failing to coach them up? I mean PT is a pretty seasoned QB from a very good league, yet something is not translating. I was really hoping for a bowl opportunity, but I just don’t currently see 3 more wins. Hope I’m wrong, because this has gone on far too often and too long. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AUINSY said:

Exactly. There is talent on this team, but it does not look like it’s being coached up very well at all. We need to sign another QB also, because these from Arky don’t pan out a lot. 

This passing game may be the worst I have seen from an Auburn offense. What is the problem? I thought we had two decent QBs, a pretty good TE, and some serviceable WRs. Our offense gets in third and long and it's just hopeless. I blame the OC. 

13 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

This passing game may be the worst I have seen from an Auburn offense. What is the problem? I thought we had two decent QBs, a pretty good TE, and some serviceable WRs. Our offense gets in third and long and it's just hopeless. I blame the OC. 

If they put him in the game he could probably run better routes and catch better.

• Like 1

It's even worse than that.  I did some digging on stats myself and found out the following:

When looking at how teams have passed against P5 competition, AU is ranked 125 out of 126 teams.  Only team worse is Eastern Michigan. This means that every Go5 school (except one) has passed for more yards against P5 competition than AU has.

Against all FBS competition, AU is averaging 110 yards per game.

Against P5 competition only, AU is averaging 78 yards per game.

I honestly can't believe it is this bad.  We probably haven't been this bad at passing since before 1986 when AU ran the wishbone.  (Actually, let me check that)... Nope, I was wrong, we passed for 115 yards per game in 1985 (when we had Bo winning the Heisman).  So that means when AU was running wishbone we passed better than we're passing now (not by much, but still better). 

Of course, we have faced the toughest defenses we will face this year.  UGA and TAMU both have top tier defenses, so I expect the stats to get better as the year goes on.  (I do have faith in Hugh to get it done).

The passing stats are true and we have to wear them. Very frustrating. But we just went toe to toe with the 2 time National Champions with CFBs best roster. Go watch @StatTiger  video in another thread and you will see marked improvement in the o line and the running game. Most fundamentally sound and physical in years. All with a new staff and new roster of mostly G5 transfers. Hugh will get the passing game going. He’s done it everywhere. But he’s got to do what he can with this roster. And for 2023 we are a run heavy offense but I expect the passing game to start taking positive strides the next 3-4 weeks.