Post game thread: Ole Miss

TitanTiger

4 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Who is Hank?

I don’t think there is any question that 1 or 2 of the QBs on the team won’t be here next season. Freeze will have to to the portal for another potential starter.

Hank Brown.  Walk on QB from Nashville, TN. 

I realize that, on paper, we have a decent ground game.  Even so, watching this team game after game, it doesn't take long to realize that we don't have a scheme in place to maximize our ground game. Gus would scheme around talent issues upfront out of necessity.  Freeze should do the same, if there is any concern about winning games the defense keeps us in down the stretch.  Freeze has to take over more of the play calling and game plan going forward.

• Like 3

I really didn’t have any illusions that we would beat UGA, LSU or OM.  I thought OM was likely the one we might have a chance in.  Instead it was UGA.  I was encouraged after the UGA game disappointed after the next two.  It is what it is.   These next four are all very winnable.  

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

The ironic thing about all of this is that the offense is catching the heat but it's the defensive depth situation thats causing Freeze to not run his offense

If that is true , that is some very bad logic on his part. You score points and maybe , just maybe it positively effect your defense because it causes the other team to change their own strategy. What’s the difference now? The defense still lacks depth and injuries occur, I believe more so because they are on the field all the dang time for 3 And outs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

You'll see it be addressed in the portal 

I can easily see 2 of the 4 not being on the roster next year. 

1. Portal 

2. Hank 

3. Returner 

4. White (RS)

16 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Hank Brown.  Walk on QB from Nashville, TN. 

Put him in against MSU!!

25 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I realize that, on paper, we have a decent ground game.  Even so, watching this team game after game, it doesn't take long to realize that we don't have a scheme in place to maximize our ground game. Gus would scheme around talent issues upfront out of necessity.  Freeze should do the same, if there is any concern about winning games the defense keeps us in down the stretch.  Freeze has to take over more of the play calling and game plan going forward.

This.

And this is what concerns me about Freeze.  I get it that he doesn't have what he needs to really do much yet.  But he's been very disappointing IMO so far about making the best use of what he's got.  The end of the game demonstrated that we could have utilized a dink-dunk short passing game all night last night.  Instead we went into the fourth quarter with only 6 attempts and 5 passing yards.  We rolled Robbie Ashford out on a run-pass option once...ONCE last night.  I would do that with him every play he's in the game.  Even if it's just to loosen up the defense so that the running game will be more effective...how many games do we think we can win averaging 2 passing attempts per quarter?

Whether people like it or not, recruiting is largely in the hands of fundraisers now, so Freeze doesn't 100% control his own destiny when it comes to getting the players he wants/needs to do what he'd like to do.  And I don't have any real knowledge about how we stack up against other teams when it comes to dishing out NIL money—so this may not be the case at all—but it would be a very Auburn thing to do to have a faction of old white boosters who resent paying players and who would rather sabotage or neglect that process just to prove they could rather than lean into and pay for the players we need.

We should be offering more money than anyone else in the conference right now given the ground we've got to make up.  If we're not, then Freeze is going to have to learn how to make do with what he's got a whole lot better than he has demonstrated the ability to do so far.

Edited by Shoney'sPonyBoy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Yeah we do!!!

The only thing that scares me is it's at home. 🤣

Well they better figure that part out since the last 2 are at home lol

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

For those that didn’t hear Freeze’s post-game interview on the Auburn Sports Network, he took a lot of responsibility and said it was coaching and that he needed to do better and takes that personally.  I’m glad he is recognizing it so we can move forward.  

He says this every week doesn’t he?  How about doing something about it. 

• Like 3

Here’s an idea, go with QB’s who can throw and run ads needed.    And stick with them.  The revolving door concept is not working so let’s use players abilities to the max.  We know Robbie can run and I believe since he played baseball, he can catch.  He could be used in a Brock Bowers type of role.  Of course we could put our spin on the scheming to use his strengths.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fishepa said:

Yep. Gus said this, Chizik and I am willing to bet even Harsin did this too. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

If that is true , that is some very bad logic on his part. You score points and maybe , just maybe it positively effect your defense because it causes the other team to change their own strategy. What’s the difference now? The defense still lacks depth and injuries occur, I believe more so because they are on the field all the dang time for 3 And outs. 

Freeze said in his presser just last nite. He wants to go fast but is afraid to because of depth on D issues. All people need to do is look at Liberty and Ole Miss films and its plain as day that what we are seeing this yr is different. He is trying to protect the D. It's open to Debate why Freeze is doing this. I think he should go warp speed and see what happens.  We are approaching the definition of insanity theory if we keep doing status quo

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

I have not read all the other comments.  Maybe someone has already said this but:

I think the #1 issue this team is facing is unfamiliarity/chemistry.  Think about it.  Half the team did not know each other six months ago.  It takes time for teams to gel.  Throwing a bunch of transfer players (that don't know each other well/have never played together) together is not the most ideal situation. They don't know each other's tendencies.  There is no trust.  No familiarity. No chemistry.  It's evident at every position on the field.  At times, this team looks like a summer time backyard/play ground/neighborhood football team.  IMO, this explains the disorganization, individualism approach to the performance we have seen this season. 

Teams need time together to learn each others strengths/weaknesses/tendencies.  This team doesn't have that.  Transfer players are hired guns and are a temporary fix.  Not a long term solution.

12 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Glad the defense showed that they can give us a chance to win. 

I simply cannot watch another game this year with this product they're putting on the field. They're literally doing nothing to instill any sort of confidence going forward, unimpressed, 0/10 wouldn't hire again.

If it feels good (or better), Miss St and Arkansas are generationally bad teams bro. They might still not be much worse than us, but there’s at least two more games this team will be favored again 

9 minutes ago, fishepa said:

I haven’t heard how he said it before no.  And I listen to every post-game show.  I could tell he was hurting. 

That’s crazy in the most parity filled SEC season in quite a while, we may not win more than 2 conference games lol. We get a 1/4th of the offensive wizardry we were hoping for and I think a 10 win season should’ve been easy money. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

That’s crazy in the most parity filled SEC season in quite a while, we may not win more than 2 conference games lol. We get a 1/4th of the offensive wizardry we were hoping for and I think a 10 win season should’ve been easy money. 

I dont know of anyone calling a 10 win season.  Avg was 7-5 or 6-6. The problem is how we look getting there

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

I dont know of anyone calling a 10 win season.  Avg was 7-5 or 6-6. The problem is how we look getting there

Think you may be missing the point of the post - the way the SEC played out, it ended up being that close in terms of parity. This is an evaluation of how things have progressed week to week, not preseason expectations 

• Like 1

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Think you may be missing the point of the post - the way the SEC played out, it ended up being that close in terms of parity. This is an evaluation of how things have progressed week to week, not preseason expectations 

Let me ask u this.  What would your mindset be about the program if our record is the same as now... but we lost game 42-35, 38-32 etc.. Would u feel differently about the projectory of the program?

14 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Freeze said in his presser just last nite. He wants to go fast but is afraid to because of depth on D issues. All people need to do is look at Liberty and Ole Miss films and its plain as day that what we are seeing this yr is different. He is trying to protect the D. It's open to Debate why Freeze is doing this. I think he should go warp speed and see what happens.  We are approaching the definition of insanity theory if we keep doing status quo

Yeah and in my opinion that’s idiotic. That was Gene Chizik undoing . 

Just now, DAG said:

Yeah and in my opinion that’s idiotic. That was Gene Chizik undoing . 

I agree, go warp speed run your offense. Chiz went from spread to pro style . It lead to his downfall.

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, e808 said:

Gus yes. Harsin no. The problem isn’t the talent. Who is Auburn on offense . Caddy had this team looking competent last years playing with effort. Seven games in and you can’t say what exactly Auburn is on O

It’s crazy, if you look at what we had returning from 2022, I guarantee you many pundits would’ve told you the offensive skill talent we brought in for 2023 was an upgrade. Receivers, tight ends, and between HS/transfer portal, they felt great about the RBs. If there’s a sentiment that those dudes aren’t actually good, it’s a LOT of whiffed coaching evaluations. 

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It’s crazy, if you look at what we had returning from 2022, I guarantee you many pundits would’ve told you the offensive skill talent we brought in for 2023 was an upgrade. Receivers, tight ends, and between HS/transfer portal, they felt great about the RBs. If there’s a sentiment that those dudes aren’t actually good, it’s a LOT of whiffed coaching evaluations. 

Not just pundits , fans and insiders as well. I know for a fact the coordinators were talked up.

• Like 1

On a different note. Was that replay call on the interception in the end zone the worst?? I've never seen replay get one so blatantly wrong, that ball clearly hit the ground and moved in his hands. Even the announcers said it over and over while they were looking at it. Maybe it mattered, maybe it didn't but it was a terrible call.

• Like 1