Post game thread: Ole Miss

TitanTiger

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

We got a little better on OL, got Fairweather, and none of the other pieces have turned out.  The WRs give our QBs zero help either in fighting for 50/50 balls, getting separation consistently, or even just catching balls that hit them in the hands.  And neither QB consistently makes the correct reads.  Just lots of whiffs on that side of the ball that admittedly I didn't see coming.  Guys like Shorter, Mardner, Hooks and such ought to be better but they aren't.  Thorne should be better but he isn't.  Robby still can't hit water from the beach.  I don't know what to tell you but on paper, these transfer guys should be better than they are.

So if they should be better, and they’re not, does that mean our coaches aren’t putting them in a position to be successful? How do guys look good at other schools but when they transfer here, they suddenly aren’t good anymore?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

I agree on this also, but on the flip side I think there have been several bad coaching calls that don't do the staff any favors 

There have been.  I don't think that's the main reason for the offensive struggles though.  And I don't think it gives us a W in any of the 4 losses.

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

I agree on this also, but on the flip side I think there have been several bad coaching calls that don't do the staff any favors 

Every team has bad coaching calls. We just aren’t solid enough to overcome them yet. 

1 minute ago, PigskinPat said:

So if they should be better, and they’re not, does that mean our coaches aren’t putting them in a position to be successful? How do guys look good at other schools but when they transfer here, they suddenly aren’t good anymore?

Maybe.  I like what Marcus Davis is doing in recruiting so far, but I think you do have to ask why the WRs aren't playing better and it starts with the position coach.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, e808 said:

Gus yes. Harsin no. The problem isn’t the talent. Who is Auburn on offense . Caddy had this team looking competent last years playing with effort. Seven games in and you can’t say what exactly Auburn is on O

How many hit the portal between Caddy and Hugh?

Just now, TitanTiger said:

There have been.  I don't think that's the main reason for the offensive struggles though.  And I don't think it gives us a W in any of the 4 losses.

At the very least I like to see what happens tho. We may not think it gives us the win but if it keeps a drive going, even if it's a punt to flip field position, who knows what happens. The offense isn't where it needs to be but I didn't not expect to see this level of struggle and that is concerning 

11 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I just don't think anyone (who would take this job) can do it if Freeze can't.

We need to pump the brakes on this. It's possible Freeze works out well. But it's not close to true that he's some homerun hire and if he fails, no one else can succeed. 

What has Freeze ever accomplished?

He lost his last 4 games at Liberty. Typically, at programs like Auburn, you only hire coaches from a smaller program if they are killing it. 

He got a lot of play from beating a bad Arkansas team. He had one great season at Liberty at 10-1. But he was 8-5 in the season before that and 8-5 and 8-4 in the next 2 seasons.

Ole Miss? That was 7 years ago and a lot has changed since then, especially how defenses defend his offense (anyone remember Gus?). Either way, he was 39-25 at Ole Miss (not counting the the sanctions that took about 30 of those wins away). Over 5 seasons, that averages out to 7.8 and 5.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Swamp Eagle said:

How many hit the portal between Caddy and Hugh?

I recall a good amount during Harsin . Don’t recall on Hugh 

10 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

I thought we had discussed in the off-season how we had made upgrades in talent through the portal on the offensive line, quarterback, and receivers and had gotten depth at running back? Or am I imagining that?

I think the consensus is to shame the past coaching staff and to over hype the current one. But of course many don’t want to criticize pastor Freeze 

I am just gonna eat my crow now. Gonna need a Deion or an Urban type to get out of this rut. The sad part is Gus wore his welcome out but has a winning record against Hugh. Is that good or bad

There were a zillion threads last year that we were in a dangerous position and we needed to do something provocative to change the irrelevance trajectory. And we had a chance.

If I ever ever the word “fit” again I’ll implode.

• Like 3
  • Love 4

Just now, KansasTiger said:

That's not what everyone kept saying in my nest thread about the line being too close on this game...

It's the ubiquitous disclaimer. "We could easily drop (pick your game) because the team is a void of talent" Yet, we see the game is in reach and, where there are ample miscues in offensive execution, game management and calls provide additional self-inflicted wounds. I'm tired of some constantly blaming the players. Sure, most are not marquee recruits. But (on one side of the ball) they don't seem to be getting any better in their respective capabilities. Do they know they have been written-off. Does that really help future recruiting. Wasn't Malzahn constantly-criticized for not developing? Whereas, Freeze was lauded as being a developer. As the saying goes, if you can't manage little, should you be given more?

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

At the very least I like to see what happens tho. We may not think it gives us the win but if it keeps a drive going, even if it's a punt to flip field position, who knows what happens. The offense isn't where it needs to be but I didn't not expect to see this level of struggle and that is concerning 

Bad coaching calls happen with everyone.  I saw several with Kiffin tonight, Heupel and Sarkisian earlier today.  But Ole Miss has a lot more playmakers right now on offense and can overcome those errors.  Same with Texas.  Same (in most games) with Tennessee.  We can't. 

• Like 5

I recall a good amount during Harsin . Don’t recall on Hugh 

You compared Caddy offense to Hugh, no? A lot hit the portal before Hugh got here. Am I wrong?

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Bad coaching calls happen with everyone.  I saw several with Kiffin tonight, Heupel and Sarkisian earlier today.  But Ole Miss has a lot more playmakers right now on offense and can overcome those errors.  Same with Texas.  Same (in most games) with Tennessee.  We can't. 

And that is the problem, we can't, with what we brought in, I figured we would be able to work around things and be competitive on O but we are not. I am not doubting that HF can or will be successful in the long run but I am currently numb and in the disappointed crowd at the moment.

3 minutes ago, cbo said:

We need to pump the brakes on this. It's possible Freeze works out well. But it's not close to true that he's some homerun hire and if he fails, no one else can succeed. 

He lost his last 4 games at Liberty. Typically, at programs like Auburn, you only hire coaches from a smaller program if they are killing it. 

He got a lot of play from beating a bad Arkansas team. He had one great season at Liberty at 10-1. But he was 8-5 in the season before that and 8-5 and 8-4 in the next 2 seasons.

One of those 8-4 type seasons came with him having to play his 3rd or 4th QB most of the season and they were still competitive.

3 minutes ago, cbo said:

Ole Miss? That was 7 years ago and a lot has changed since then, especially how defenses defend his offense (anyone remember Gus?). Either way, he was 39-25 at Ole Miss (not counting the the sanctions that took about 30 of those wins away). Over 5 seasons, that averages out to 7.8 and 5.

Eh.  His offenses aren't the one trick pony that Gus's became.  We don't have the horses to run the offense yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Interesting take…

🤔

1 hour ago, cbo said:

I just don't believe we're a very attractive coaching job, for reasons entirely out of our control.

That being said: he'll get four years, so if it hypothetically doesn't work out by then, we would be off the hook from Gus and Haskins by then, and not that much left in his contract. Combine with Saban being four years closer to retirement (75), so maybe we would be in better position by then.

Edited by AUwent

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

And that is the problem, we can't, with what we brought in, I figured we would be able to work around things and be competitive on O but we are not. I am not doubting that HF can or will be successful in the long run but I am currently numb and in the disappointed crowd at the moment.

Me too, man.  I'm just flummoxed by how bad Thorne and the WRs look.  Robby is what he is and I didn't expect any better.

• Like 1

Ole Miss wasn’t some juggernaut, Freeze couldn’t really use the “they were more talented than us” excuse this time. Freeze looks completely clueless on offense.  What the hell are they practicing during the week because it can’t be football 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

From top to bottom this team sux. There is no leadership from the coaches or the players. The coaches are just going to keep playing the same people and hope.they get better.

I'm certainly glad they came up with this play different QB every third play. It seemed to work well., lol. 

This team has not gotten better in eight weeks and I don't think they will. I don't think they will win a conference game this year. Hell, they might not win any more games this season

But hey, there's always next year I won't stop rooting for Auburn I just want to see improvement. So who beats the hell out of us next week?