A win is a win, but

LPTiger

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

This is a message board.  People have different opinions.  It's not "getting into it", it's having a conversation. 

Agree completely, but conversations turn into arguments when the conversations turn personal in nature , rather than about the opinions/ or way facts are interpreted. Always turns out fine if we respect one another. I know this is written in response to your comment but isn’t meant to target anyone. Its just forem opinions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Speaking of Clemson , what the hell happened to them?!

Dabo refusing to take advantage of the new portal and NIL rules.  

I think he wants a buyout so he can become an analyst. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Dabo refuses to adapt.  Relied on great coordinators that carried him and are now gone.  Went from being able to buy players under the table to openly being against them getting any legal payments.  Is heavily against NIL and only believes in the "Name Image and Likeness of Jesus Christ".  Will not recruit kids in the portal. 

All of that leads to poor coaching with shrinking talent on their roster.  Their talent used to be elite across the board to go with 2-3 elite QBs.  Now it's just average with average QBs.

He would have been an absolute disaster if he came to Auburn vs Hugh.  

I should have read your reply before I posted my Reader’s Digest version.  Yours was a better read. 

3 hours ago, rexbo said:

This felt like a prototypical Malzahn win.  Purposely just enough offense to stay ahead.  This is why he lost so many games he should have won.  When he won the big games, he kept his foot on the pedal until the end.  And that's what the Top 10 teams are doing every week.  I had hoped that Freeze would come in with this attitude, and I understand he has some lack of confidence in Thorne and the receivers.  But, he's going to have to start pushing this offense all game long if he wants to have a chance for SEC road wins and the Iron Bowl.  Malzahn didn't have back then, and Freeze doesn't have now, an OL good enough to just to run the clock out when up by a few TDs...

That’s what scares me about Freeze. He’s cut from the same GM cloth. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, rexbo said:

This felt like a prototypical Malzahn win.  Purposely just enough offense to stay ahead.  This is why he lost so many games he should have won.  When he won the big games, he kept his foot on the pedal until the end.  And that's what the Top 10 teams are doing every week.  I had hoped that Freeze would come in with this attitude, and I understand he has some lack of confidence in Thorne and the receivers.  But, he's going to have to start pushing this offense all game long if he wants to have a chance for SEC road wins and the Iron Bowl.  Malzahn didn't have back then, and Freeze doesn't have now, an OL good enough to just to run the clock out when up by a few TDs...

When Malzahn did have a quality line, he did great things with the offense.  Ofcourse, none of that happened in a vacuum.  Freeze knows how to get an offense ticking, but this was the first game that we actually tried a different approach.  Hopefully that continues.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I have complained repeatedly about our refusal to throw the ball on first down.   It has been an issue in every game until the first half yesterday.   In the first half, we attempted 8 passes on 1st down.   In 6 possessions we had 1 3 and out and scored 24 points.   The 1 3 and out was in large part due to us RUNNING the ball on 1st down at our on 13 for a 2 yard loss (the 2 yard loss kinda indicates State knew a run was coming -- the perfect time to throw) and then inexplicably running 9 out onto the field for 2nd and 12 from our 11.   It is difficult to think of another down, distance and field position scenario where running 9 out there, in this game, could have made less sense.   Of course, it was a qb run for 2 yards.    

In the second half we attempted exactly 1 pass on 1st down (a completion).   In 5 possessions in the second half, we had 3 3 and outs and scored 3 points.   In order for us, and most team's offense to be successful, you have to have balance.   Even an incompletion on 1st down forces the defense to respect the possibility.

This staff is smart enough to know these things so I can't explain away the first 6 games.   I do think we turtled in the second half for good reasons.   but it would have been nice to see at least one drive in the second half where we shoed balance and scored 1 more TD.

Looks similar to first half, third series we could have thrown on first down

THIRD QUARTER
9:10 at the 25

Stutts false start
Thorne 14-yard run
Hunter 4-yard run, first down
Thorne to Fairweather 9 yards 
Hunter loses 3 yards
Thorne to Hunter 5 yards, first down 
Battie 1-yard loss
Battie 1-yard gain
Thorne to Fair 14 yards, first down 
Alston 1-yard gain
Thorne 1-yard run
Thorne to Alston 4 yards
McPherson 49-yard field goal, 3:14

FOURTH QUARTER
14:50 at the 14

Hunter 3-yard run
Hunter no gain
Thorne to Brown 6 yards. Brown ran his route a yard short, making it fourth-and-one. Auburn punted on fourth-and-one.

11:31 at the 32
Alston 1-yard gain
Thorne 6-yard run
Alston 2-yard run
Punt on fourth-and-one

7:43 at the 5
Hunter for no gain
Thorne pass incomplete
Thorne to Frazier for 17 yards, but ineligible receiver downfield
Thorne rush for no gain on third-and-12 at the 3
Punt

2:55 at the 13
Hunter for 17 yards
Hunter for 50 yards to the 20
Thorne loses 6 yards
9-yard loss on bad snap
Deep pass to Kelly, pass interference
Auburn kills the clock

Edited by Auburn93

1 hour ago, Auburn93 said:

Looks similar to first half, third series we could have thrown on first down

THIRD QUARTER
9:10 at the 25

Stutts false start
Thorne 14-yard run
Hunter 4-yard run, first down
Thorne to Fairweather 9 yards 
Hunter loses 3 yards
Thorne to Hunter 5 yards, first down 
Battie 1-yard loss
Battie 1-yard gain
Thorne to Fair 14 yards, first down 
Alston 1-yard gain
Thorne 1-yard run
Thorne to Alston 4 yards
McPherson 49-yard field goal, 3:14

FOURTH QUARTER
14:50 at the 14

Hunter 3-yard run
Hunter no gain
Thorne to Brown 6 yards. Brown ran his route a yard short, making it fourth-and-one. Auburn punted on fourth-and-one.

11:31 at the 32
Alston 1-yard gain
Thorne 6-yard run
Alston 2-yard run
Punt on fourth-and-one

7:43 at the 5
Hunter for no gain
Thorne pass incomplete
Thorne to Frazier for 17 yards, but ineligible receiver downfield
Thorne rush for no gain on third-and-12 at the 3
Punt

2:55 at the 13
Hunter for 17 yards
Hunter for 50 yards to the 20
Thorne loses 6 yards
9-yard loss on bad snap
Deep pass to Kelly, pass interference
Auburn kills the clock

What exactly are you trying to say here?

7 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

That’s what scares me about Freeze. He’s cut from the same GM cloth. 

It doesn’t scare me because I’ve always known that’s what Hugh/Gus were relative to their philosophy, creative perspective and stubbornness.  Everyone should know what they’re getting with Hugh.  Just got to hope he lands a QB, WRs and a line that gives him the tools to operate his offense in this league.  

1 minute ago, keesler said:

It doesn’t scare me because I’ve always known that’s what Hugh/Gus were relative to their philosophy, creative perspective and stubbornness.  Everyone should know what they’re getting with Hugh.  Just got to hope he lands a QB, WRs and a line that gives him the tools to operate his offense in this league.  

The difference to me is that Gus, on a personal level, was Mr. Misunderstood.   He was that weird kid in high top shoes sitting in the back of the class always left out and never fit in.   Hugh, on the other hand, is more rafters rocking foundation quaking crash out through the front door back you up against the wall. One can recruit, the other, not so much.

1 minute ago, LPTiger said:

The difference to me is that Gus, on a personal level, was Mr. Misunderstood.   He was that weird kid in high top shoes sitting in the back of the class always left out and never fit in.   Hugh, on the other hand, is more rafters rocking foundation quaking crash out through the front door back you up against the wall. One can recruit, the other, not so much.

Which is which?  

Just kidding!  It’s readily apparent.  

14 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I have complained repeatedly about our refusal to throw the ball on first down.   It has been an issue in every game until the first half yesterday.   In the first half, we attempted 8 passes on 1st down.   In 6 possessions we had 1 3 and out and scored 24 points.   The 1 3 and out was in large part due to us RUNNING the ball on 1st down at our on 13 for a 2 yard loss (the 2 yard loss kinda indicates State knew a run was coming -- the perfect time to throw) and then inexplicably running 9 out onto the field for 2nd and 12 from our 11.   It is difficult to think of another down, distance and field position scenario where running 9 out there, in this game, could have made less sense.   Of course, it was a qb run for 2 yards.    

In the second half we attempted exactly 1 pass on 1st down (a completion).   In 5 possessions in the second half, we had 3 3 and outs and scored 3 points.   In order for us, and most team's offense to be successful, you have to have balance.   Even an incompletion on 1st down forces the defense to respect the possibility.

This staff is smart enough to know these things so I can't explain away the first 6 games.   I do think we turtled in the second half for good reasons.   but it would have been nice to see at least one drive in the second half where we shoed balance and scored 1 more TD.

I think everyone is overthinking the second half. Just go listen to Hugh’s press conference. He explains it. There were only three drives in the 3rd quarter (all were about 5 minute drives), and we scored on our only offensive drive. In the 4th quarter, the coaches intentionally called plays conservatively. We started with bad field position on nearly all the 4th quarter drives including two drives that started inside the 10. Hugh wanted to play it safe and not risk giving up some kind of momentum shifting big play to their defense. So instead of calling plays aggressively, they chose to try to kill clock and protect the football. I questioned it a little when I saw it live. But from his explanation, it makes sense. What if we’d thrown an interception inside of the 10 on one of the early 4th quarter drives. It would’ve taken less time off the clock, and given them a short field. Then they are within a reasonable number of scores with a lot of time left in the game and would have a good chance of scoring points on that drive. 

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 1

The biggest problem was the 4th and 1 situations. We had to punt with our lead. Had we been behind or tied we probably roll the dice. We just need to work on 4th and 1 and 3rd and 1 plays too. I still say QB sneak with pushers. 3rd and 1 sneak it or fake a handoff to Hunter and throw to Frazier or Fairweather. I don't think Battie is the back for short yardage. No delay runs from shotgun. What do I know? Nothing of course.

21 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

freeze said he was running the clock out.i would prefer he kept his foot on the gas myself.  i believe they do not have quality depth?

but when it's a good team, it runs a few seconds to get a 3 & out

11 hours ago, keesler said:

I'm interested to see Freeze evolve as the talent problem lessens. 

One thing that (putting tin foil hat on for a moment) makes me nervous with Auburn football is the always stated commitment "to the run" when we hire a coach, regardless of what their background is. I love Auburn's history running the ball. I love Bo, Cadillac, Ronnie, the Irons... all of it. I also think that game has run its course. The top programs throw the ball. They set up the run off the pass. Unlike Gus, Freeze made his mark in the SEC throwing the ball, but that second half looked a little too familiar for me. Yes, I realize we were trying to burn clock and yes, I know the roster needs a lot of work. I just hope when we alleviate that roster deficiency - and I believe Freeze is doing good work towards that - we're not still limiting ourselves being "committed to the run". Let Freeze be Freeze. 

Too much whining about this…

Freeze addressed this directly post-game. In the third quarter, we were successful offensively. We only had one drive, and we scored on it. 

When we got to the 4th quarter, we had a sizable lead, we had been able to run the ball against them effectively even on our one drive in the third, they’d shown little signs of offense in the first half, and we were repeatedly backed up near our own end zone in that quarter. I would’ve liked one more aggressive drive in the second half. Freeze didn’t want to risk a big momentum shifting play close to our own end zone by airing it out. I would’ve liked to again see one more score before getting more conservative. But I can’t disagree with his decision either. If Thorne threw a pick and gave them a short field, it potentially becomes a one score game and they now have the momentum.

In fact, one of our drives in the 4th started a little farther up field, and we got a little more aggressive on that drive. But the ineligible lineman downfield stalled the drive. It was just that 2-3 of our drives in the 4th started in the opponent’s red zone. 

At the end of the day, the decision worked. We won by double digits. I don’t get why everyone is being so whiny about this game. We could win out including beating Bama, and I’m starting to think some of you would complain that we didn’t beat Bama by enough points if that happened.

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Too much whining about this…

Freeze addressed this directly post-game. In the third quarter, we were successful offensively. We only had one drive, and we scored on it. 

When we got to the 4th quarter, we had a sizable lead, we had been able to run the ball against them effectively even on our one drive in the third, they’d shown little signs of offense in the first half, and we were repeatedly backed up near our own end zone in that quarter. I would’ve liked one more aggressive drive in the second half. Freeze didn’t want to risk a big momentum shifting play close to our own end zone by airing it out. I would’ve liked to again see one more score before getting more conservative. But I can’t disagree with his decision either. If Thorne threw a pick and gave them a short field, it potentially becomes a one score game and they now have the momentum.

In fact, one of our drives in the 4th started a little farther up field, and we got a little more aggressive on that drive. But the ineligible lineman downfield stalled the drive. It was just that 2-3 of our drives in the 4th started in the opponent’s red zone. 

At the end of the day, the decision worked. We won by double digits. I don’t get why everyone is being so whiny about this game. We could win out including beating Bama, and I’m starting to think some of you would complain that we didn’t beat Bama by enough points if that happened.

Just because he “addressed” it doesn’t mean I have to believe it, Dave.  

18 minutes ago, Dwayne Pride said:

Just because he “addressed” it doesn’t mean I have to believe it, Dave.  

You don't. I would have thrown it, too. But no coach or football guy I've talked to would risk throwing the ball where AU started drives in the 4th quarter. They were Ga and uat fans, as well as AU. So I've decided that I could be wrong. Just a thought.

Oh , and HF did throw it twice in the 4th, even backed up as we were. The guy down field never touched anyone and didn't have a thing to do with the success of failure of the pass. If he falls down at the line of scrimmage,  everybody's happy. 

2 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

You don't. I would have thrown it, too. But no coach or football guy I've talked to would risk throwing the ball where AU started drives in the 4th quarter. They were Ga and uat fans, as well as AU. So I've decided that I could be wrong. Just a thought.

Oh , and HF did throw it twice in the 4th, even backed up as we were. The guy down field never touched anyone and didn't have a thing to do with the success of failure of the pass. If he falls down at the line of scrimmage,  everybody's happy. 

So because you talked to them, they are experts?  Dave. Please.  There are plenty of coaches that would have slung it out there.  Dye would have done it with Burger.  

7 minutes ago, Dwayne Pride said:

So because you talked to them, they are experts?  Dave. Please.  There are plenty of coaches that would have slung it out there.  Dye would have done it with Burger.  

So because you didn't talk to my guys, you're an expert? 

Is that how that works? Dave?