Freeze Press Conference - New Mexico State Week

Paladin

Live updates: Freeze on big win at Arkansas, New Mexico State matchup

Follow along here for live updates from Freeze's weekly press conference

NATHAN KING 5 mins0

Don't look now, but Auburn is likely set for a four-game winning streak entering the Iron Bowl.

The Tigers went on the road as an underdog and blasted Arkansas 48-10 for their first three-game winning streak since 2020. Auburn played what Hugh Freeze called its most complete game of the season, and after it had a losing record three weeks ago, Freeze's team is hitting its stride at the right time in November.

Follow along here for live updates from Freeze's weekly press conference, as he recaps the Tigers' dominant victory in Fayetteville and looks to a pre-Iron Bowl tuneup opportunity against New Mexico State.

* After blasting Arkansas 48-10, Auburn has two SEC players of the week: Jalen McLeod, defensive POTW (3 sacks, FF, 4 TFls) and Keionte Scott, special teams POTW (punt return touchdown)

* Freeze was "the most pleased" with Auburn "dominating the trenches" on offense and defense.

* Said Auburn's energy was good to see, getting off to a fast start on both sides of the ball.

* Freeze calls New Mexico State "one of the top Group of Five teams." Says the Aggies have improved every game this season.

* Auburn WR Ja'Varrius Johnson has to continue to "figure into the passing game" down the stretch this season. The fifth-year senior has eight catches for 174 yards and two touchdowns over his past three games.

* Freeze notes Auburn has held SEC opponents under 14 points for three straight games for the first time since 2016.

* Freeze is asked what the best part of Auburn's offensive improvement has been: "It's really good to see our kids playing with confidence."

* Freeze on Auburn's offense against Arkansas: "I don't mean this to sound any sort of way, but we could have put up a lot of numbers. We started milking some clock."

* Freeze on Payton Thorne moving on quickly after mistakes: "He lets me rant a little bit without it destroying him. I've got to be careful with that, but all the good ones I've had, I've told them, 'This is what's going to happen.' He's mature enough to handle it."

* Freeze said it's been beneficial moving tight end Rivaldo Fairweather around the offense, and the Tigers' offensive staff will continue to do so. Fairweather had three catches and two touchdowns against Arkansas. 

* Freeze says DT Marcus Harris and DB Keionte Scott are the "most vocal" leaders on Auburn's defense right now.

* Freeze says playing New Mexico State right before the Iron Bowl will "test our maturity." On looking ahead, Freeze says that's a challenge, so "we won't talk about that other team (Alabama)."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Prayer’s for coach Freeze’s daughter and 2nd grand child. May both daughter and baby be healthy.🙏My first Grandson will be one this coming Friday. Let me tell you, nothing like Grand Kids. 
https://x.com/CoachHughFreeze/status/1724199954841829487?s=20

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2023/11/auburns-hugh-freeze-says-hes-on-call-expecting-grandbaby-no-2-to-arrive-monday.html

Edited by WVR
  • Like 2