Texas loses to 2-10 Kansas Team

Gowebb11

https://www.burntorangenation.com/platform/amp/2023/9/29/23895643/texas-longhorns-kansas-jayhawks-2021-upset-steve-sarkisian-lance-leipold

interesting read but you really should take the time to read the whole article before commenting. This quote by Sark is powerful:

“But in a weird way, I’m kind of glad it happened because it exposed some warts in our program that needed to get removed and if we hadn’t removed those warts, we might not be where we are today in our program. And so sometimes not all storms come to cause issues in your life. Some storms come to clear the path, and I felt like that storm cleared a path for us on what we needed to do in our program to move forward.”

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 3

Losing can be a very powerful tool for a program (and person). It takes real wisdom to appreciate it and build from it.

What went wrong and how to prevent it going forward? I hope CHF takes his time to learn and reflect from it after this recruiting frenzy is over. 

He's well aware of the opportunity that lies before him.

I remember an interview from the old (and great) "Mike & Mike" talk show on ESPN radio years ago.  They were interviewing the great John Wooden.  They point-blank asked him this: Did you ever have a "good loss" that proved to be beneficial?

He immediately and emphatically answered "No, there's no such thing".

I don't think there is anything even remotely positive that can come from last Saturday's debacle.  It just can't be spun that way.  It wasn't as much revealing or awakening as it was destructive.  Pieces have to be picked up and reassembled.  And that will happen, but there is no silver lining to be celebrated.  IMHO.

That being the case, WDE and let's begin recovery by having a good showing in defense of our home field in the Iron Bowl.

Edited by WillMunny

32 minutes ago, WillMunny said:

I remember an interview from the old (and great) "Mike & Mike" talk show on ESPN radio years ago.  They were interviewing the great John Wooden.  They point-blank asked him this: Did you ever have a "good loss" that proved to be beneficial?

I don't think there is anything even remotely positive that can come from last Saturday's debacle.  It just can't be spun that way.  It wasn't as much revealing or awakening as it was destructive.  Pieces have to be picked up and reassembled.  And that will happen, but there is no silver lining to be celebrated.  IMHO.

That being the case, WDE and let's begin recovery by having a good showing in defense of our home field in the Iron Bowl.

I think the moral of the story here is . Nobody wanted to lose Saturday . It happened.  Learn something,  anything from it and plow ahead. If nothing else,  learn u don't wanna have that feeling again. 

Edited by NWALA Tiger

13 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I think the moral of the story here is . Nobody wanted to lose Saturday . It happened.  Learn something,  anything from it and plow ahead. If nothing else,  learn u don't wanna have that feeling again. 

True.  And that's all that can be learned, I think.

44 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I like that -- keep plowing ahead.  Don't let a little temporary storm keep you from moving forward.  

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47c7vhpsnectel7f6b0h

Edited by AUloggerhead

1 hour ago, WillMunny said:

I don't think there is anything even remotely positive that can come from last Saturday's debacle. 

I love Wooden but some of my greatest successes in life were built off of failures. That concept is part of the foundation of athletics. But to each his own. 

On 11/21/2023 at 1:27 PM, woodford said:

Losing can be a very powerful tool for a program (and person). It takes real wisdom to appreciate it and build from it.

What went wrong and how to prevent it going forward? I hope CHF takes his time to learn and reflect from it after this recruiting frenzy is over. 

He's well aware of the opportunity that lies before him.

It doesn’t seem to have worked in the past. 

I think the moral of the story is that sometimes catastrophic losses happen in even the first years of coaches who turn out to be successful.

Leipold has to be a top five coach in all of CFB, possibly of this century so far, for what he has done with Kansas.

Edited by AUwent

On 11/21/2023 at 1:36 PM, WillMunny said:

Also, Texas legendary coach Darryl Royal after his team's 30-some game win streak was broken:

"Reporter: "Doesn't this loss take some pressure off your team?"

Coach Royal: "There may be something good that happens to a team because of a loss but I haven't figured out what it is yet."

• Like 1