McPherson a Lou Groza semifinalist

TexasTiger

Edited & corrected:

Semifinalists will be voted on by a panel of more than 100 FBS head coaches, SIDs, media members, former Groza finalists and current NFL kickers to select the three finalists. These finalists will be announced Nov. 28 and honored at the 32nd annual Lou Groza Collegiate Place-Kicker Awards Banquet on Dec. 4 in Palm Beach County. The same panel then selects the winner, who will be announced live on ESPN during the Home Depot College Football Awards on Friday, Dec. 8.

https://auburntigers.com/news/2023/11/9/football-auburns-alex-mcpherson-named-groza-award-semifinalist.aspx

• Like 1
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

He needed to be better than perfect...   Seriously, he is the real deal.   He will get his recognition in due time.  It is amazing how we have quietly become kicker u.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

He needed to be better than perfect...   Seriously, he is the real deal.   He will get his recognition in due time.  It is amazing how we have quietly become kicker u.

Think we have been kicker u historically. 

Just now, SaltyTiger said:

Think we have been kicker u historically. 

I'll never forget when I learned my fraternity brother, Win Lyle, was going to be our starting kicker.   I had no idea he could kick a football.   Remember Coach Dye taking about a kicker, maybe Scott Etheridge, as being "a little effeminate?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, LPTiger said:

I'll never forget when I learned my fraternity brother, Win Lyle, was going to be our starting kicker.   I had no idea he could kick a football.   Remember Coach Dye taking about a kicker, maybe Scott Etheridge, as being "a little effeminate?"

Amazing the number of “walk on” great kickers we have seen. Guess the thought process was that out with a student population of 18 to 20k surely someone can kick a football. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I’ve since read they form a watch list at the beginning of the year so I guess that’s why. 

One would think they would adjust the list for a freshman who is perfect on the year.   One question I had was on kickoffs....   It seemed at times we were instructing him not to kick it into the end zone and to instead kick it high and a little shorter to one corner of the field.  I'm not sure why we wouldn't always want him to kick it out of the end zone.   At the very least it would keep us from having JHunter on the kickoff team.  Literally, in the Arky game he had a long TD run and was out there on the ensuing kickoff....

3 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Am I missing something? He’s literally on the list inside the link.

Nobody actually looked at the list. But he’s definitely listed, and he’s also on the groza website as a semifinalist as well.

Edited by ScotsAU

• TexasTiger changed the title to McPherson a Lou Groza semifinalist
12 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

Nobody actually looked at the list. But he’s definitely listed, and he’s also on the groza website as a semifinalist as well.

I overlooked him on the list. My bad. Didn’t see him on the first articles I looked at and hadn’t seen anything here. Corrected. Thanks.

20 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I'll never forget when I learned my fraternity brother, was going to be our starting kicker.   I had no idea he could kick a football.   Remember Coach Dye taking about a kicker, maybe Scott Etheridge, as being "a little effeminate?"

Wasn't Win from Auburn High??? Also what frat? 

36 minutes ago, Chaotic_zx said:

Alabama's kicker wasn't even the best kicker in the Iron Bowl. That is just silly.

Rodehard is only a few points from being the all-time scorer in college football. 

• Like 1