U.S. Block UN Ceasefire Resolution

icanthearyou

4 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Where you and I disagree (and always will) is on the concept of greed and power. You believe that if you create a strong centralized gov to redistribute and regulate profit-based companies and individual wealth that the playing field can be leveled.

No.  That is not what I believe.

I believe the wealthy have taken control of the government and,,, therefore now enjoy unfair advantages in taxation, influence, subsidizing.  This is fundamentally unfair and corrupt.  It can only be changed by the removal of money from the political and governing processes.

I believe power cannot be allowed to concentrate.  That dynamic threatens democracy and capitalism.  Relative equality is vital to both, as well as, basic peace, civility, ultimate prosperity.

My real premise is,,, we must balance power, we must balance the two real political interests,,, society and capital/ humanity and business.  That is good politics, good government.  There is no ideology. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Israel isn't perfect by any measure, but Israel did not instigate this fight.  At the end of the day, we have to choose who our friends are and the choice is crystal clear when the choices are Israel or extremist terrorists.

We are supporting Israel as an ally should.  But we don't "have" to ignore the political and social reality of the Palestinians while doing so.

I think Biden has made at least a symbolic effort to do that by expressing concern over Israel's tactics as well as stressing a two state solution.  He's caught a lot of grief over it, but he's correct in doing so.

I am concerned about how quickly we are to simply write off a people as a whole because of the inevitable results of their ******-up political situation. 

Granted, sometimes it's necessary to bomb people in such situations (Germany, Japan in WWII) but at least there was an end to strive for.  This has been going on for what - 74 years? - and both sides share responsibility.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 1:53 PM, AU9377 said:

Israel isn't perfect by any measure, but Israel did not instigate this fight.  At the end of the day, we have to choose who our friends are and the choice is crystal clear when the choices are Israel or extremist terrorists.

That may be true in a tactical sense, but strategically speaking, one could make the argument Israel bears at least an equal share in instigating this "fight" (conflict).

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1