We're just not very good

Just now, gr82be said:

That and the stolen inbound pass underneath the basket and we miss the shot. I knew then it was over. I’m in Mississippi watching with a bunch of State fans at work. It was zero fun. 
I have tickets to Oxford next Saturday and I can’t imagine sitting among them and losing. We have to win that game. 

I live in Mississippi too. If you think State fans are irritating, they don't hold a candle to Ole Miss fans as far as obnoxiousness.

8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

An exception doesn’t really change the rule. It’s not easy to be great right out the gate as a PG in this league.  Tre has made great strides as a sophomore compared to last season. I think Aden has a higher ceiling than that. And there’s a lot of season left. 

Which speaks to Bruce's missing recruiting a pt guard while we wasted a yr with Wendell and Zep

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

Good grief … just like cbp said last week.  We are better than people thought preseason but not as good as people thought about a minute before our game in ttown 

we are somewhere around the 4th best team in the league and about the 20th in the country which is where we’ll be ranked come Monday 

we have the ability to be better than that if we can put it together 

Yeah unfortunately many SEC fans don't really watch ball outside of their own team. I'm very down on this team in comparison to some of the illusions the collective fanbase had before this week, but now I'm up in comparison to the "reality" they think we exist in now.

Tennnessee is the best team in the conference and they lost in the same arena. Alabama was in or around the top 10 in metrics like KenPom while having 5 losses (before beating us). Those are two HARD challenges that Auburn was right there in. No, they're not a superbly great team or roster and would take some major improvement to make a real run in March, but it's insane to think this team sucks. 

• Like 3

I guess Kansas sucks too

Iowa state 79 Kansas 75

And Oklahoma

Texas Tech 85 Oklahoma 84

And Baylor

TCU 105 Baylor 102

And Kentucky

South Carolina 79 Kentucky 62; Texas A&M 97 Kentucky 92

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

An exception doesn’t really change the rule. It’s not easy to be great right out the gate as a PG in this league.  Tre has made great strides as a sophomore compared to last season. I think Aden has a higher ceiling than that. And there’s a lot of season left. 

Not to mention, not all freshmen have the same skillsets, trajectory (you already covered that), or are asked to be the same. With the lack of consistent three point shooting or real self-creation, they're asking Aden to be something like Wendell Green in 2021 - be the main offensive spark that has to cover multiple guards who aren't great scorers. 

In that starting lineup where it was Aden-Denver-CMo-Jaylin-Broome, Denver is off and on in terms of aggression. CMo just exists (no offense to him), and Jaylin is a passive (again, no offense) guy that's just going to take what a defense gives him and nothing more. If Aden doesn't force the issue or Broome isn't on, that lineup is going to lose during their minutes against most good teams. 

When he gets to put on some more weight and feels more comfortable operating in the paint, kid's going to be great offensively. Literally all the tools have been flashed, except for a great handle. I'd say his has been like operational so far

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

I live in Mississippi too. If you think State fans are irritating, they don't hold a candle to Ole Miss fans as far as obnoxiousness.

I’m in Memphis, so I fully understand. I’d rather deal with a bammer most days than a Rebel. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Which speaks to Bruce's missing recruiting a pt guard while we wasted a yr with Wendell and Zep

Which he’s addressed by sending both on their way, developing Tre, and signing Aden and Pettiford. 

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

you do not climb to eight if you are terrible.

Don’t worry that was fools gold, we will be out of the top twenty and uat will be.

Edited by TigerOne
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Auburn will beat both State and bamr far worse in Neville than the two beatings just taken.

Don’t think we play State again this year unless it’s in tournament 

WG shot 36% last year.   Zep was 33%.   Aden shot 33% his senior year in HS and is at 33% rn.    MS's 2 starting guards scored 29 points.    Our starting 2 plus Aden scored 15.   

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Which he’s addressed by sending both on their way, developing Tre, and signing Aden and Pettiford. 

And also not offering Mark Sears who would/should be playing for us now. We will pay for that decision until Holloway/ Tre are developed 

Edited by NWALA Tiger

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

And also not offering Mark Sears who would/should be playing for us now.

Pearl said just this week that we recruited Sears. Where did you hear we didn’t offer him?

48 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Some perspective ($1 to Justin Lee):

IMG_4038.jpeg

Only two teams in the top 17 have less than 2 road losses. 

Yeah, but look at their road games. Those top teams have been playing Quad 1 road games and actually winning some of them. Auburn has yet to win a Quad 1 game -- on the road or at home.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but Auburn has not yet proven it deserves to be in the same conversation with the likes of UConn, Kansas, Tennessee, Purdue, Bama.

I'm hopeful. I'm waiting. We ain't there yet.

Edited by AURex
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Pearl said just this week that we recruited Sears. Where did you hear we didn’t offer him?

He said they should have worked harder to get him. 

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

If memory serves, Bruce didn't go after Sears caused he promised Wendell, KD, Zep that he wouldn't recruit over them if they agreed to come back last year. I think that was a major discussion topic on the board.  

17 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

image.png.6b9b47648689d24543414f0ad53d5a85.png

My mistake, you are correct. At this point however no game is a guaranteed win for Auburn.

3 minutes ago, AURex said:

Yeah, but look at their road games. Those top teams have been playing Quad 1 road games and actually willing some of them. Auburn has yet to win a Quad 1 game -- on the road or at home.

I'm not saying it won't happen, but Auburn has not yet proven it deserves to be in the same conversation with the likes of UConn, Kansas, Tennessee, Purdue, Bama.

I'm hopeful. I'm waiting. We ain't there yet.

We already mentioned we haven’t won a quad 1 game yet. We have like 4 more chances by season’s end. 

But losing road games to good teams is becoming the norm in college b’ball. I can’t find the stat right now but someone posted it a few days ago on Twitter I think. 10 years ago top 15 teams won something like 70 to 75% of their road games. This year so far they’re winning about 35 to 40% of them. And the years in between have been a consistent downward trend. This year isn’t just a one off.

my point in saying this isn’t to say there’s nothing wrong or that we don’t need to work on some stuff. It’s just a reel things back in a little bit from the panic some folks seem to be in. we are reading way too much into a couple of close losses on the road this week.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

If memory serves, Bruce didn't go after Sears caused he promised Wendell, KD, Zep that he wouldn't recruit over them if they agreed to come back last year. I think that was a major discussion topic on the board.  

However, Pearl seemed to directly contradict that just this week in an interview leading up to the Alabama game. 

Does anyone making the contention that we didn’t recruit Sears have anything to back that up?  

5 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

My mistake, you are correct. At this point however no game is a guaranteed win for Auburn.

It’s college basketball. There’s basically no such thing as a guaranteed win for anybody.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

He said they should have worked harder to get him. 

Of course. That’s not the same thing as “we didn’t offer him.”

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

However, Pearl seemed to directly contradict that just this week in an interview leading up to the Alabama game. 

Does anyone making the contention that we didn’t recruit Sears have anything to back that up?  

Cole might have some insight. I think he knows the Sears family. But I do remember it being discussed 

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

What did Pearl say? I missed it