We're just not very good

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

So once again that's the chess checkers. Sharieff leaving after one year a surprise but thinking only two years at most. So you prepare for that. Scoot shouldn't have been expected but if you lucky you get him one year.

Also even when scoot was here he was the only guy that could dribble. You needed more than just him. You need more than one guy. You bring in Mark as well and now all the other guys you mentioned doesn't even matter. That's chess. There's no having too many guards in college basketball.

Trey isn't a point guard really he would've given you another scorer but he wouldn't been a probably a better Wendell.

But you never wanted to say we needed him and that's cool. I just don't understand why so many of you don't want to say we missed on him. It's ok. Hell people missed on ja Morant. It happens. Actually I do know why Mikey and the other guy say it

But I disagree with you on the transfer stuff. To me missing him early was stupid but like I said it's part of the game. When he transferred though.... We saw we were in desperate need and still decided to chill. That's mind boggling to me. Actually too the year he brought the 3 guards he brought in I'm sure he knew he could have gotten Mark if he wanted. Now this is before Mark went crazy at Ohio his sophomore year but he still was all freshman and all tournament his freshman year and that was enough to see he was talented. 

It's crazy for us to be as big as we are and have gone like 3 years having a hole on your team as far as not even having guys that can handle a press don't you think? I mean a top 15 school going 3 years in a row turning the ball over at the end of games is wild to me. That would piss me off coaching in high school. I would think I know I can find a kid somewhere around here that can dribble. 

That's been my only problem and complaint. We could really use some shooters too but ball handling is mandatory to me. These dudes wouldn't give jabari the ball sometimes you remember that? 

I'm sorry I'm ranting. But with all that being sad we aren't close to a bad basketball team. We just shouldn't have the same problems in consecutive years. That's all. We should be passed that as far as a program by now.

I never disagreed with Sears being a good looking guy from the Ohio tape (after you pointed him out) or that we should've got him, I just never wanted to say we needed him specifically. But then and now I would love to have the guy, he's a fringe NPOTY candidate.

I'd also agree with you that the management of the PG position has been weird to say the least. I love the type of guard Tre represents, although I do think his lack of scoring chops puts a limit on just how effective he can be as a playmaker sometimes (I still love his vision and him always attempting to keep dudes involved, floor general stuff). That being said, we've had two true facilitators since the 2019 season, which I would again agree...pretty weird. Maybe Pearl just loves shoehorning undersized combo guards at the 1! 

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I never disagreed with Sears being a good looking guy from the Ohio tape (after you pointed him out) or that we should've got him, I just never wanted to say we needed him specifically. But then and now I would love to have the guy, he's a fringe NPOTY candidate.

I'd also agree with you that the management of the PG position has been weird to say the least. I love the type of guard Tre represents, although I do think his lack of scoring chops puts a limit on just how effective he can be as a playmaker sometimes (I still love his vision and him always attempting to keep dudes involved, floor general stuff). That being said, we've had two true facilitators since the 2019 season, which I would again agree...pretty weird. Maybe Pearl just loves shoehorning undersized combo guards at the 1! 

I agree with Tre, if he was up to speed he would have been almost perfect for the team jabari was on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I agree with Tre, if he was up to speed he would have been almost perfect for the team jabari was on

That team is definitely going to be the all time what if, for this program (in my time watching). You just get them a solid facilitator that was just a..37% 3 point shooter….idk if they lose a regular season game 

Thinking about that team also brings back this fury I had with people using AST/TOV as an indicator that you’re playing PG well. Zep literally couldn’t dribble against ball pressure and dudes were saying he was a good secondary play maker because he had a 2-1 ratio. 

Aden is leagues better than him, but I think people have to look past that statistic when trying to get a feel for how good a guy is at setting up an offense 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2024 at 8:34 PM, SumterAubie said:

Auburn will beat both State and bamr far worse in Neville than the two beatings just taken.

One down. Bring on State.

• Like 4

this thread did not age well.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Lack of good showings in the quad 1 games definitely came back to bite us in NCAA seeding. I think the Baylor loss to start the year and the bama loss on the road were keys. Win either of those and we are probably a 3 seed and not in the bracket of death. But yeah people freaking out over a couple loses is pretty funny to read back on now. 

• Like 2

arkie seems to be a super nice guy so i imagine he was frustrated........

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

I think the Baylor loss to start the year and the bama loss on the road were keys. Win either of those and we are probably a 3 seed

Most likely a true road win at TN alone would have got us a 3-seed. It carried much more weight than a neutral game w Baylor. And a slight bit more than at bammer.