We're just not very good

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Of course. That’s not the same thing as “we didn’t offer him.”

Auburn is really in a must win situation now don’t you think?

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I doubt he's gonna come out and say they didn't offer him . I wish I could find that conversation on the board

2 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

What did Pearl say? I missed it

He was talking about Sears and said we recruited him and that we should have worked harder to get him. 

4 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Auburn is really in a must win situation now don’t you think?

Um, was someone arguing we should keep losing games or something?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

We already mentioned we haven’t won a quad 1 game yet. We have like 4 more chances by season’s end. 

But losing road games to good teams is becoming the norm in college b’ball. I can’t find the stat right now but someone posted it a few days ago on Twitter I think. 10 years ago top 15 teams won something like 70 to 75% of their road games. This year so far they’re winning about 35 to 40% of them. And the years in between have been a consistent downward trend. This year isn’t just a one off.

my point in saying this isn’t to say there’s nothing wrong or that we don’t need to work on some stuff. It’s just a reel things back in a little bit from the panic some folks seem to be in. we are reading way too much into a couple of close losses on the road this week.  

I'm not disagreeing wityh you, I'm just being a bit more objective ... I think ... maybe not.

If the likes of UNC, Purdue, UConn, etc -- the better teams -- are only winning 35% - 40% of their road games (I don't think that is correct, but okay), still they are playing Quad 1 teams and winning some of those games. Auburn is not (so far).

I'm not saying Auburn will not win any Quad 1 games. I'm just saying the best teams do win some of their Quad 1 road games and Auburn is not doing so. Auburn SHOULD HAVE won at Miss State.

7 minutes ago, AURex said:

I'm not disagreeing wityh you, I'm just being a bit more objective ... I think ... maybe not.

If the likes of UNC, Purdue, UConn, etc -- the better teams -- are only winning 35% - 40% of their road games (I don't think that is correct, but okay), still they are playing Quad 1 teams and winning some of those games. Auburn is not (so far).

I'm not saying Auburn will not win any Quad 1 games. I'm just saying the best teams do win some of their Quad 1 road games and Auburn is not doing so. Auburn SHOULD HAVE won at Miss State.

I’m trying to find the citation but I’m almost positive it said Top 15 teams. Meaning the stat included all of them, not just the 2-4 best teams at a given moment. 

Yes, we need to get some Q1 wins. Yes, some others up in the top 5 have some. We’ve also been unfortunate not to have a Q1 game at home yet. Give it some time. 

Is Pearl just unable to recruit shooters, or does he screw them up once they get on campus.

The holes that are this team have existed for quite a while now, and that is on Pearl.

And I just have to say, these Auburn basketball teams are the poster children for why NIL is such a joke.  Just a very poor return for your investment when these kids who demand money for their services cannot handle the pressure of playing away from home. I get that playing away from home can be tough, but these guys make it painful.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

However, Pearl seemed to directly contradict that just this week in an interview leading up to the Alabama game. 

Does anyone making the contention that we didn’t recruit Sears have anything to back that up?  

He was a 3 star coming out of high school and Auburn did not recruit him (nor did Alabama).  He had 3 offers - UAB, South Alabama, and Ohio.

https://247sports.com/Player/mark-sears-46083972/high-school-241203/

Bruce went after him in the transfer portal last year but lost to Alabama.  He said he should have tried harder to get him from the portal.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Pearl said just this week that we recruited Sears. Where did you hear we didn’t offer him?

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I doubt he's gonna come out and say they didn't offer him . I wish I could find that conversation on the board

He was talking about Sears and said we recruited him and that we should have worked harder to get him. 

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

What did Pearl say? I missed it

See above post...Bruce did not recruit him out of high school.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Golden Eagle said:

He was a 3 star coming out of high school and Auburn did not recruit him (nor did Alabama).  He had 3 offers - UAB, South Alabama, and Ohio.

https://247sports.com/Player/mark-sears-46083972/high-school-241203/

Bruce went after him in the transfer portal last year but lost to Alabama.  He said he should have tried harder to get him from the portal.

Yeah I was thinking about the transfer portal when he was at Ohio. 

I’ll also note Sears was 6-0, 155 lbs coming out of HS. And Auburn signed two guards in that class -Sharife Cooper and Justin Powell.  We were cursed on both - NCAA and daddy issues, but I can see why we didn’t offer out of HS. 

Our team seems to be intent on putting together 3-4 minute windows each half of every game totally foregoing patience and fundamentals. We will be up by 8-10, get on a fast break and decide to throw a half court pass out of bounds. Or be down by 2, be 4 feet from the rim and kick the ball out 20 feet across court so someone can miss a 3. There are times to slow things down and just be fundamentally sound and we seem to struggle with that. 

9 hours ago, AURex said:

I found the tweet with the stats I was thinking of. It’s not exactly what I said, but close enough:

IMG_4039.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Our team seems to be intent on putting together 3-4 minute windows each half of every game totally foregoing patience and fundamentals. We will be up by 8-10, get on a fast break and decide to throw a half court pass out of bounds. Or be down by 2, be 4 feet from the rim and kick the ball out 20 feet across court so someone can miss a 3. There are times to slow things down and just be fundamentally sound and we seem to struggle with that. 

Fundamentally unsound wrt to rebounds.  Shot goes up, look to block out your man on defense ... including FTs.  On offense when a shot goes up, have the shooter follow his shot & others crash the boards looking to grab an offensive rebound instead of admiring the shot.  It's not terribly complicated.  Our opponents seem to get it.   

• Like 5

16 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

you do not climb to eight if you are terrible.

If we could play all our games at Neville we might be eight.  Unfortunately we have to play road games too.  (Arkansas exception noted).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arktiger1975 said:

I know winning on the road, especially against quality teams, is difficult. But I thought this team was different. 

And they very well may prove to be. Lots of season left. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

Fundamentally unsound wrt to rebounds.  Shot goes up, look to block out your man on defense ... including FTs.  On offense when a shot goes up, have the shooter follow his shot & others crash the boards looking to grab an offensive rebound instead of admiring the shot.  It's not terribly complicated.  Our opponents seem to get it.   

Well, that is Coaching 101

Team is good, but often when a team lacking strong players leadership gets on a roll they get full of themselves and forget what got them on the roll of wins. When I coached this was often a problem after a good start unless the team had an alpha leader.  It also has not helped that Williams has gone back to being passive and has not played as well. CMO's lack of consistency at the 3 is not good, because he is one of the few vocal leaders, but with him not being a threat to score has caused coach to limit his play. The team needs him and Williams to step it up and bring consistent, confident play every game. If CMO can just make 2-3 3 pointers per game it would be huge, but his shooting form has been off with leaning to one side. Aden has been jumping too far forward on his threes and needs to work on jumping straight up on his jumpers. Coach should also consider using some double post screens to get some easy bank shots near the paint. 

• Like 3

I will continue to hound on the lack of effort. I don't care about other teams and their performance on the road. That's a weak minded attitude to have. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, alexava said:

I don’t know how good or bad we are. I just know down the stretch you can’t have an opponent miss a free throw and pick up the ball while bouncing off the floor, untouched and lay it in. You are going to have off shooting games. You have to win those with effort and fundamentals. I don’t see much sharpness in these departments. 

Lack of effort is more frustrating than anything else IMO.  Loafing and low effort or attention to detail will undoubtedly fire up the coaching staff.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1