The 72 Amazin's

• Like 5
  • Love 2

I personally think 17-16 game was greatest Auburn game ever. That D was so good and to block not one but two punts and return both for TD's that will be imprinted in my brain forever.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I personally think 17-16 game was greatest Auburn game ever. That D was so good and to block not one but two punts and return both for TD's that will be imprinted in my brain forever.

My mom and I were coming back from Huntsville while listening to the game and she had to pull over to the curb on Hwy 72 we were so excited. We listened to the rest of the game on the median. 😝 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

And the extra point.  Know your history. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toddc said:

My mom and I were coming back from Huntsville while listening to the game and she had to pull over to the curb on Hwy 72 we were so excited. We listened to the rest of the game on the median. 😝 

What city did you live in? I'm from the Shoals area. 

44 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

What city did you live in? I'm from the Shoals area. 

Athens and still here. I arrowhead hunt over that way a lot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NCAubs said:

Know your history who blocked the extra point 

hint #25

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

hint #25

Roger Mitchell 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

hint #25

Roger Mitchell. Can still speak along word for word with Gary and Gusty radio call I’ve listened to it so many times. Was in FL and a young child at the time but that game and that radio call (played over and over on a 45 ) are a huge part of my childhood 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NCAubs said:

I knew about the extra point but had to leave you something to add. LOL

13 hours ago, toddc said:

i love that todd.......

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

hint #25

i do not know my butt from third base golf but you knew that......lol

oddly my second favorite game was when we made the turds come to auburn and we stomped dat azz..................

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 6:39 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

Agreed. The ironic thing about it was if Alabama had just decided not to punt all day, and just ran the ball every fourth down we wouldn't have had a prayer of beating them. Don't think we cracked the "Mendoza line" of total offense that day. 

Loved that team. In my teens and was in Tuscaloosa day of 17-16. The place was wonderfully silent following the game. Remember us going out to eat at very popular restaurant that evening. Think we were the only party in the town.

Recall I was supposed to have a date that night with a girl born, raised, and without question would attend Bammer. She phoned, called me a redneck then broke our date. 

Edited by SaltyTiger
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Loved that team. In my teens and was in Tuscaloosa day of 17-16. The place was wonderfully silent following the game. Remember us going out to eat at very popular restaurant that evening. Think we were the only party in the town.

Recall I was supposed to have a date that night with a girl born, raised, and without question would attend Bammer. She phoned, called me a redneck then broke our date. 

did she have all her teeth? asking for a friend.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Same in B'Ham. Called a popular restaurant and asked if they'd had any cancellations. The answer was "We sure have". We made reservations, showed up and pretty much had the place to ourselves.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Same in B'Ham. Called a popular restaurant and asked if they'd had any cancellations. The answer was "We sure have". We made reservations, showed up and pretty much had the place to ourselves.

Believe it. They all disappeared and went into mourning for several days. Later in years had some close friends that were Bammer grads. One and his entire family took a Bammer loss close to the way people take losing a pet or even a family member. Serious, they would not even leave home or see other people day after.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 6:39 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

My first year as an Auburn student and we were stomping on those old metal bleachers on the east side of Legion Field when Bama lined up to punt.   Then just as the ball was snapped it got quiet and I can still hear the sound of Greg Gant’s foot hitting the ball, the ball hitting Bill Newton’s hands then the ball hitting the turf.  Three distinctive thuds in quick succession.  And then the whole thing happened again a few minutes later.  As we walked out of the stadium this redneck was hollering “Auburn ain’t sh**” over and over and we were laughing at him.  I’m an old man now but I will never forget it!  

• Like 3

On 2/1/2024 at 5:39 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

Did they not block three punts, one punt was partially deflected and wobbled out out bounds 25 yds downfield.  Special teams coach had noticed the punters 3/1/2 step punt and a flaw in their blocking scheme.  Plus they blocked an PAT which became the difference in the score.

On 2/3/2024 at 3:58 PM, Eagle-1 said:

Agreed. The ironic thing about it was if Alabama had just decided not to punt all day, and just ran the ball every fourth down we wouldn't have had a prayer of beating them. Don't think we cracked the "Mendoza line" of total offense that day. 

i read the book and one thing many folks do not remember is the coaches stated in practice they found a weakness in the turds kicking game and then exploited it. we out coached one of the greatest coaches of all time. i love that......

That game was only on radio. We had the radio on in the den loud enough to hear all over the house (our house was not that big). I come from a family of pacers, so my mom, dad, & I paced all over the house that day (my younger sisters were a bit too young to be into it then; they are now!). I was headed down the hall toward the bedrooms, & my dad was coming up the hall from the bedrooms when Gary Sanders started yelling that we "got it again!" My dad & I were probably about 6 feet apart right then & we both just stopped. I will never ever forget the look on my dad's face!! His mouth literally fell open! His eyes were literally as big as saucers! I can only wonder what my face looked like. We just froze like that for several seconds, didn't cheer at all till Gardner Jett hit the extra point, & when Langner got the interception to ice the win, my dad announced we were going to Auburn (we lived a half hour away), my 1st ever trip to Toomers! Super memories!

• Like 4

My buddy and I griped about our end zone seats all the way from Auburn to B'Ham. Then everything important that happened in that game happened right in our laps! There was a bammer sitting behind us, about age 50. The whole game he was making remarks about Auburn. Such as "Hey Henly boy, thought you was a star". When the game ended I turned to say something to him but he was sitting there with tears running down his face. I just didn't say anything to him. There's nothing I could have said that would have made him feel any worse. It was a great day to yell WAR EAGLE!

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

My buddy and I griped about our end zone seats all the way from Auburn to B'Ham. Then everything important that happened in that game happened right in our laps! There was a bammer sitting behind us, about age 50. The whole game he was making remarks about Auburn. Such as "Hey Henly boy, thought you was a star". When the game ended I turned to say something to him but he was sitting there with tears running down his face. I just didn't say anything to him. There's nothing I could have said that would have made him feel any worse. It was a great day to yell WAR EAGLE!

The best revenge is living well. 

• Like 1