Opening Day/Weekend vs E. Kentucky

51 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Had a great pre season. Things change. Butch historically has a very good staff by the time crunch time rolls around. Allsup is good. Not about to judge him on a few early season bad pitches.

He has a full season of appearances from last year to judge him on.  This ain’t his first start. Hopefully he’ll improve.

9 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

EKU pitching on the struggle bus, 10 walks through six innings....on 131 pitches.

13-5 Auburn going to the 7th.

Looking like maybe a long evening. Good kind of long if you like seeing us score.

Florida (top 5 in most polls) stumbled out of the gate, lost 9-5 to St. Johns.  Vandy had to score 3 in the bottom of the 9th to overcome FAU.  Florida Gulf Coast is wearing out TCU.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Hell I moved 13 times in 31 years of pharmaceutical career

Staying just ahead of the Federales I see.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

WDE! 10 run rule ends it 15-5 in 7.

I stopped watching at 7-3. Did Allsup finish the game?

9 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I stopped watching at 7-3. Did Allsup finish the game?

No and not a bad outing. Feel sure he was on a pitch count of around 80. Made it through 5 I think and did get the win. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

No and not a bad outing. Feel sure he was on a pitch count of around 80. Made it through 5 I think and did get the win. 

His defense let him down in that 5th inning, he really should have gotten the W.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

His defense let him down in that 5th inning, he really should have gotten the W.

Right, booted a couple of outs. I would have been there last night but a little under the weather and fighting to stay tuned.

38 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Right, booted a couple of outs. I would have been there last night but a little under the weather and fighting to stay tuned.

Doesn't look like the weather will be to your advantage this afternoon if you're not feeling great, breezy and cool...?  This is the one I'm really interested in, Gonzo could be a huge lift to our starting pitching.  He won't make or break us I don't think, but man if he could get it together for a full season....

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Doesn't look like the weather will be to your advantage this afternoon if you're not feeling great, breezy and cool...?  This is the one I'm really interested in, Gonzo could be a huge lift to our starting pitching.  He won't make or break us I don't think, but man if he could get it together for a full season....

Looks like last night was the best game weather wise. May at least go over and catch an inning from the parking deck but imagine it is overflowing with folks waiting for basketball. Would love to see Gonzo come back in his previous form. Fun to see.

Just connecting the dots, I played high school baseball with the Maners kids father.  He was a couple of years behind me, but I think the legend is that Sammy Dunn claimed Martin never made an error in practice or a game at SS.

• Like 1

Gonzo really looking like he hasn't thrown a competitive pitch in a year....  Everything seems to be a struggle so far, but the defense has been very friendly turning double plays in each of the first two innings.

Back to back to back extra base hits in the third, Tigers up 4-0.  Pierce tripled, McMurray homer and Stanfield tripled.  EKU RF misplayed what should have been the third out; they really should have been out the inning without giving up a run.

Edited by PowerOfDixieland

Gonzo took a couple of innings to settle in and had thrown a solid next 3.  Defense let him down like it did in yesterdays game about the same point.

crotchfelt and n to start the 6th.  Guessing they had gonzo on about a 60 pitch count.

51 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Gonzo really looking like he hasn't thrown a competitive pitch in a year....  Everything seems to be a struggle so far, but the defense has been very friendly turning double plays in each of the first two innings.

Listening to radio broadcast it sounded great. Went over to parking deck and no spaces to be had. Crazy on campus this afternoon.

I hope our catching does well this year.  I know that position will have better O but I’m worried we’ll miss LaRue’s D.  It “feels” like Irish isn’t as comfortable behind the plate these first 2 games 

Just now, SaltyTiger said:

Listening to radio broadcast it sounded great. Went over to parking deck and no spaces to be had. Crazy on campus this afternoon.

Everything you would expect after that kind of layoff...loss of velocity, trouble locating, wouldn't throw a breaking ball, timing off (two balls called on pitch clock violation in the first), just not all that fluid.  Gave up 1 unearned run, walked three and struck out two.  Not awful.

• Thanks 1

Just now, mustache eagle said:

I hope our catching does well this year.  I know that position will have better O but I’m worried we’ll miss LaRue’s D.  It “feels” like Irish isn’t as comfortable behind the plate these first 2 games 

You're not wrong.  He won't play back there at the next level, but he will hit at the next level.

1 minute ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Everything you would expect after that kind of layoff...loss of velocity, trouble locating, wouldn't throw a breaking ball, timing off (two balls called on pitch clock violation in the first), just not all that fluid.  Gave up 1 unearned run, walked three and struck out two.  Not awful.

Cant help but wonder if gonzo would have done better in the 1st if LARue was calling the pitches.  Wonder if they’ll let Irish call pitches at any point

2 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

You're not wrong.  He won't play back there at the next level, but he will hit at the next level.

Can Irish play 3rd?  McMurray isn’t giving up 1st.

green is athletic enough as witnessed by that snag a couple innings ago but his arm seems a little light at 3rd?

6 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Can Irish play 3rd?  McMurray isn’t giving up 1st.

green is athletic enough as witnessed by that snag a couple innings ago but his arm seems a little light at 3rd?

Without knowing for sure, my guess is that Irish wants to catch and Butch wants to do everything he can to accommodate that bat.  Not saying he would leave, but it's got to be in the back of everybody's mind.  

• Like 1