10 years ago today

And I still remember bammers ridiculing me when I mentioned him as a possibility. They said things like, "Bruce won't give Auburn the time of day. Y'all will have to settle for somebody like Johnny Jones or John Brady". Never will forget the stunned looks on their faces when we made the hire! Then it turned into, "give him 3 years, and he will bolt for a better job".

Probably the same people who were complaining about his recruiting and playing too many players earlier this year.

Little doc

14 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

And I still remember bammers ridiculing me when I mentioned him as a possibility. They said things like, "Bruce won't give Auburn the time of day. Y'all will have to settle for somebody like Johnny Jones or John Brady". Never will forget the stunned looks on their faces when we made the hire! Then it turned into, "give him 3 years, and he will bolt for a better job".

So basically the same stuff we said to the Bamms about Saban lol.

Ark, do you remember having a preferred candidate in mind when AU was up for a basketball coaching change after letting Ellis and/or Lebo go? I distinctly remember wanting AU to throw the bank at Geno Auriemma when they hired Lebo. 

Best coaching hire Auburn ever made. Dye might have an argument but i think it would be a good debate. Really amazing how it went down when you look back. Auburn got in on him early just as his show cause wa expiring. Had Barbee lasted a year longer or shorter then the match with Bruce likely never happens. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tigeraddikt said:

So basically the same stuff we said to the Bamms about Saban lol.

Ark, do you remember having a preferred candidate in mind when AU was up for a basketball coaching change after letting Ellis and/or Lebo go? I distinctly remember wanting AU to throw the bank at Geno Auriemma when they hired Lebo. 

Well, Mike Anderson was doing well at UAB when we let Ellis go, so I was mad we didn't get him. He didn't do too well at Arkansas though. I wanted Tubby initially after Lebo was fired, but he didn't do much late in his career.

21 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Best coaching hire Auburn ever made. Dye might have an argument but i think it would be a good debate. Really amazing how it went down when you look back. Auburn got in on him early just as his show cause wa expiring. Had Barbee lasted a year longer or shorter then the match with Bruce likely never happens. 

I remember when we got Bruce, a lot of bama fans were like, "dang, we waited a year too late to fire Grant".

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

It's a competition whether AU got screwed harder by the polls in 1984 or the refs in 2019.  I'd call that one a draw.  Had they tackled Tommy Hodson on 4th down in 1988 it most likely would have Dye with no question.  However, since AU had really no basketball tradition to speak of, I think Bruce getting AU to this sustained level of success gives him the nod.

when i think of bruce i see him on espn wearing an auburn football helmet..... he has brought so much joy to me i iwll never say a bad word about him unless he murders aubie or something.

• Like 3