Freeze seeking expertise from Bruce

14 hours ago, cbo said:

Honest question for the "patience" crowd. Which certainly has some validity and I'm not trying to dismiss that. 

What do you need to see from Freeze, as far as record, in seasons 2 and seasons 3? 

Continued improve play. Win an underdog game/upset. Those are the signs of improvement and competitiveness.  Win close games. The record will follow.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DAG said:

The only problem with saying record wise doesn’t matter is the fact that teams can look completely different from year to year with the transfer portal. I do agree it does matter what we look like, particularly on the offensive end. 

Exactly. None of this is happening in a static environment. Rosters from year to year are going to constantly change. More so now than ever. Also, this idea of a gradual progression of wins is very intriguing to me. Most notably, how does the qb position play out. Does Thorne play well enough this year to keep a stronghold on the starting position? If so, we enter 2025 with a new starter. How much experience does that starter come in with? There is a lot riding on this year.

• Like 2

I felt like getting a little philosophical so bear with me. 

It is next to impossible to use past team performance to predict future team performance.  Here is why....

A team can be broken down into 2 basic areas for prediction.

Quantitative numbers and incorporeal factors.

The FIRST consists of he numbers and stats.  It is a decent starting point for future results. Including W-L record, returning players, total years playing together, new player experience,  size, speed, power, etc.

The SECOND,   intangibles,   make the quantitative predictions less accurate and have almost as much effect.   Things like, how motivated the team and each specific  player is or still is.   Team chemistry changes, coaching dynamics, changes in confidence,  game planning changes, fan support, game day focus, understanding of the playbook, whatever it is that people call luck,  etc.  These can change for good or bad  and happen to every team .  We have no realistic way to track these.

MONKEY WRENCH!    Now, with the NIL and the transfer portal, almost every team's roster changes year to year way more than before NIL and TP.  So we don't even know how similar other teams will be to what they were the year before let alone our own. 

A.I.  would have a hard time accurately prediction a future outcome even if it had every stat possible.   There are just to many variables that are not quantitative or even logical at times.

I am a firm believer that any team can beat any team on any given Saturday.  It is rare a major underdog pulls it off,  but it happens.    Can you predict a single game outcome? Most of the time...IF the stats are skewed toward one team.     Trying to predict a future season record is a random guess at best.  

W's and L's come and go.  ALL I ever ask of our team is to fight.   Have good work ethic, be prepared and look organized.   I can take a loss as long as we look competitive and competent.      I get more irritated by barely winning a game we look totally incompetent during.   I do not want to go back to the Chinese-fire-drill of the Gus days.

There is no shame in losing to a better team.   The shame is in lack of preparation... Win or loss.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 3:14 PM, TigerOne said:

https://www.al.com/auburn/2024/03/what-auburns-hugh-freeze-hopes-to-learn-from-bruce-pearl-during-a-two-night-golf-trip.html

he better, the honeymoon, free ride, pitiful excuses, lack of coaching days are over.

People best get used to this from Hugh.  All one has to do is look back at his Ole Miss days to know how he operates in adversity (losses) and how he handles things. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cbo said:

Honest question for the "patience" crowd. Which certainly has some validity and I'm not trying to dismiss that. 

What do you need to see from Freeze, as far as record, in seasons 2 and seasons 3?

Season 2       8-4  (9-4 with a bowl WIN)

Season 3       9-3  (10-3 with a bowl WIN)

My Lord, there has to be improvement.  This wallowing in mediocrity should be unacceptable on so many levels for Auburn, enough is enough!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Exactly. None of this is happening in a static environment. Rosters from year to year are going to constantly change. More so now than ever. Also, this idea of a gradual progression of wins is very intriguing to me. Most notably, how does the qb position play out. Does Thorne play well enough this year to keep a stronghold on the starting position? If so, we enter 2025 with a new starter. How much experience does that starter come in with? There is a lot riding on this year.

I have not be afraid to say that Throne scares me next year. I do think we need to see promise in our offense next year because we could easily lose the talented receivers we gain in one off season. 

• Like 3

On 3/20/2024 at 2:12 PM, passthebiscuits said:

Bruce’s first season he was 5-13 in conference and 11-20 overall.

good to get his expertise. Relax on CHF’s first (or even second) season. 

Actually wasn't that his SECOND year? Also he didn't get above .500 in SEC play until year four.

3 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Season 2       8-4  (9-4 with a bowl WIN)

Season 3       9-3  (10-3 with a bowl WIN)

My Lord, there has to be improvement.  This wallowing in mediocrity should be unacceptable on so many levels for Auburn, enough is enough!

EXACTLY!!! I mean he's had 16 freaking months!!! He should have won 2 Conference championships and beaten uat 3 times by now!!! He better get his act together or he's gone after the Spring game!!!!

o/t has anyone seen tiger one and jerry in the same room? asking for a friend. 

Edited by JuscAUse!

6 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I felt like getting a little philosophical so bear with me. 

It is next to impossible to use past team performance to predict future team performance.  Here is why....

A team can be broken down into 2 basic areas for prediction.

Quantitative numbers and incorporeal factors.

The FIRST consists of he numbers and stats.  It is a decent starting point for future results. Including W-L record, returning players, total years playing together, new player experience,  size, speed, power, etc.

The SECOND,   intangibles,   make the quantitative predictions less accurate and have almost as much effect.   Things like, how motivated the team and each specific  player is or still is.   Team chemistry changes, coaching dynamics, changes in confidence,  game planning changes, fan support, game day focus, understanding of the playbook, whatever it is that people call luck,  etc.  These can change for good or bad  and happen to every team .  We have no realistic way to track these.

MONKEY WRENCH!    Now, with the NIL and the transfer portal, almost every team's roster changes year to year way more than before NIL and TP.  So we don't even know how similar other teams will be to what they were the year before let alone our own. 

A.I.  would have a hard time accurately prediction a future outcome even if it had every stat possible.   There are just to many variables that are not quantitative or even logical at times.

I am a firm believer that any team can beat any team on any given Saturday.  It is rare a major underdog pulls it off,  but it happens.    Can you predict a single game outcome? Most of the time...IF the stats are skewed toward one team.     Trying to predict a future season record is a random guess at best.  

W's and L's come and go.  ALL I ever ask of our team is to fight.   Have good work ethic, be prepared and look organized.   I can take a loss as long as we look competitive and competent.      I get more irritated by barely winning a game we look totally incompetent during.   I do not want to go back to the Chinese-fire-drill of the Gus days.

There is no shame in losing to a better team.   The shame is in lack of preparation... Win or loss.

All good points but you left out the biggest monkey wrench in the box…,

Freeze. Can he coach? Can he develop players? Can he make game day decisions? 
He is working hard to purge the locker room of the “me” sickness.

I doubt any coach in the conference has much respect or fear of Freeze.

And now uat has two head coaches so  his recruiting skills are gonna be tested.

*sigh*  Who is getting pointers from whom? Maybe nobody is immune yet from crapping the bed in post-season play. If anyone should give pointers to anyone, maybe it's Jessica Braswell (equestrian). Or just knock off the cute sounding sound bites. Talk is cheap.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2024 at 7:54 PM, TigerOne said:

All good points but you left out the biggest monkey wrench in the box…,

Freeze. Can he coach? Can he develop players? Can he make game day decisions? 
He is working hard to purge the locker room of the “me” sickness.

I doubt any coach in the conference has much respect or fear of Freeze.

And now uat has two head coaches so  his recruiting skills are gonna be tested.

I have had and still have huge doubts about HF’s coaching ability or his player development ability. Yes, he can recruit well, but, Saban walked away and seems to me DeBoer has not lost much ground in recruiting at all. He came from a bigger school, yes, but who did AU try, Harsin! I honestly do not see AU competing for anything in football anymore, other than attempting what was accepted by Gus, which is 8 wins a season as the ceiling. Trust me, not 1 single coach in the SEC fears Hugh Freeze. For the love of crap, we hired an AD, Miss State was about to get rid of. 

16 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

I have had and still have huge doubts about HF’s coaching ability or his player development ability. Yes, he can recruit well, but, Saban walked away and seems to me DeBoer has not lost much ground in recruiting at all. He came from a bigger school, yes, but who did AU try, Harsin! I honestly do not see AU competing for anything in football anymore, other than attempting what was accepted by Gus, which is 8 wins a season as the ceiling. Trust me, not 1 single coach in the SEC fears Hugh Freeze. For the love of crap, we hired an AD, Miss State was about to get rid of. 

Yep, freeze has A lot to prove. His attitude at the end of the season last year was not what Auburn paid for.

if he doesn’t improve significantly this year then let him know his days are numbered as in one more year. Hopefully he will do an outstanding job but so far nothing significant on the field.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TigerOne said:

Yep, freeze has A lot to prove. His attitude at the end of the season last year was not what Auburn paid for.

if he doesn’t improve significantly this year then let him know his days are numbered as in one more year. Hopefully he will do an outstanding job but so far nothing significant on the field.

Auburn is run by a narcissist!! until it can rid the dominator it will continue to be stuck in mud while everyone else pass Auburn by. Alabama does a great job at marketing itself as a brand and flagship, we on the other hand is stuck on itself and is not worried about how it's appeal look to anyone outside the Auburn fandom. Auburn is not interested in telling it's own story about how good it is and why you should want to be apart of it, you do that with forward thinking and aligning yourself with brands that create excitement. The loveliest village on the plains Attitude was great but it has long been time to move on from small thinking, if Nike becomes Auburn apparel provider I would have a discussion with Tim Cook about a partnership since he is on the board at Nike to have the Apple logo inside and outside of Jordan hare, Neville arena, Alabama has the Mercedes logo inside of Coleman and Bryant Deny. Auburn doesn't sell Auburn WE ARE STUCK ON STUPID but we can't figure out why we continue to struggle..

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, eaglenest said:

Auburn is run by a narcissist!! until it can rid the dominator it will continue to be stuck in mud while everyone else pass Auburn by. Alabama does a great job at marketing itself as a brand and flagship, we on the other hand is stuck on itself and is not worried about how it's appeal look to anyone outside the Auburn fandom. Auburn is not interested in telling it's own story about how good it is and why you should want to be apart of it, you do that with forward thinking and aligning yourself with brands that create excitement. The loveliest village on the plains Attitude was great but it has long been time to move on from small thinking, if Nike becomes Auburn apparel provider I would have a discussion with Tim Cook about a partnership since he is on the board at Nike to have the Apple logo inside and outside of Jordan hare, Neville arena, Alabama has the Mercedes logo inside of Coleman and Bryant Deny. Auburn doesn't sell Auburn WE ARE STUCK ON STUPID but we can't figure out why we continue to struggle..

image.gif.f8a7912500374065c3563b085e4bea01.gif