2024 Portal

30 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Any update on Dillon Mitchell situation?

Unfortunately no. Not to go off on a tangent, but my experience is that Auburn has some of the worst basketball coverage and insiders. We usually don’t know who is committing or not and who’s visiting or not until a national writer posts it online and then the Auburn beat writers just use that story. It’s really difficult for me to find any legit news about recruits or potential portal players. Ok, rant off 🤣 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

You mean how Kentucky just hires like their 7th choice. A guy who has never won a ncaa tourney game or conference title. Gah have some self respect blue blood kentucky!! 😂😂

And he was their 7th choice for a reason (and still a better hire on paper than Scheyer). At least UK tried. You want Auburn just to go straight to what should be their 7th choice.

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

But more in the sense that there would be a very small chance of him succeeding as head coach at AU.    

At this point, that small chance could be said about most any coaching hire.

I'll just wait until BP finally retires to really let this keep me up at night.

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

And he was their 7th choice for a reason (and still a better hire on paper than Scheyer). At least UK tried. You want Auburn just to go straight to what should be their 7th choice.

It’s not not that I want that but it’s just obvious that Steven pearl will be our next head coach. I’ve accepted it and am not bothered by it. How I feel about it ain’t going to change anything. Might as we get on board!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Unfortunately no. Not to go off on a tangent, but my experience is that Auburn has some of the worst basketball coverage and insiders. We usually don’t know who is committing or not and who’s visiting or not until a national writer posts it online and then the Auburn beat writers just use that story. It’s really difficult for me to find any legit news about recruits or potential portal players. Ok, rant off 🤣 

Auburn on3 has by far the best AU bball info out of all the AU sites.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Yes, I’m right there with you on the high mid major or lower power 5 conference coaches. I always liked Todd Golden and believe he would have been a great pickup if Pearl wasn’t here. What do you think of Bucky Ball from Samford? I think we could easily get him and I love his style of play.

Seems like he’s developed some great players and they should’ve beat Kansas. He knows the state well. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was as promising as a Holloway or Golden in a few more years 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

The next head bball coach at AU will be Steven Pearl. Folks just need to understand this and accept it. It’s going to be a Pearl dynasty at AU. Or at least attempt to be one. I’m perfectly fine with it. The 2 biggest blue bloods just promoted in the last few years from  within a guy who had no head coaching experience. Who are we to turn our nose up at that? Steven already has more assistant coaching experience as scheyer did when he took over and maybe even Hubert Davis as well. Steven Pearl is a lottery ticket and I see it as low risk high reward. 

Probably, but I was just listing out guys that would definitely be preferable. If Bruce did allow them to get out from under the nepotism promise that I’m sure they’ve made, there’s plenty of good choices out there 

Guys, I have pulled up an old Bruce Pearl Thread that yall can discuss Our Current & Future Coaching situation on please.   Thank you.

• Love 1
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Auburn on3 has by far the best AU bball info out of all the AU sites.

I used to be a member there but then decided not to renew my subscription. I agree it’s the best when it comes to Auburn basketball but it’s still not much. Like I said earlier, national writers have more information than Auburn writers and our rivals seem to know more about our recruits and who we are getting than our own best writers. It’s frustrating to try and get information from anywhere it seems.

Posted (edited)

Ok, so in derailing the thread, I apologize! It looks like we have somewhat news on the basketball front. Going to paraphrase so I won’t get into trouble. Auburn wants Dior but looks like the SEC won’t let it happen because of his past. We are after Miles Kelly, a guard/wing from GA Tech. Any day now Mitchell and Hudson will commit somewhere soon. That’s pretty much it, don’t know how much that helps.

Edited by AUSCalum87
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here are some highlights of Miles Kelly. He apparently is testing the NBA waters but more than likely will come back to college and is in the portal. Auburn has talked with him already and after seeing his highlights, he would take Denver’s place as the starter. He’s a big guard who would create mismatches for any team and he’s very fluid with his shot, I can see why the pros like him. If we had any shot with him, I would tell Denver you would be first off the bench. Anyway, it’s more than likely a moot point since I’ve read that it’s a Miami, Louisville and UNC fight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Ok, so in derailing the thread, I apologize! It looks like we have somewhat news on the basketball front. Going to paraphrase so I won’t get into trouble. Auburn wants Dior but looks like the SEC won’t let it happen because of his past. We are after Miles Kelly, a guard/wing from GA Tech. Any day now Mitchell and Hudson will commit somewhere soon. That’s pretty much it, don’t know how much that helps.

AUSC,

i am neither for or against DIOR, but if he committed a crime and completed his punishment/sentence, how can the SEC deny him anything???

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, TigerPAC said:

AUSC,

i am neither for or against DIOR, but if he committed a crime and completed his punishment/sentence, how can the SEC deny him anything???

Because it’s a DV case. The SEC has the last say who can come in or not. Which makes no sense on how Ole Miss was allowed to hire Beard like 6 months after he got fired from Texas for a DV situation. I don’t really know how the SEC decides these situations, just going by the information I gathered though that it seems like Dior won’t be allowed to be in the SEC at all.

Edited by AUSCalum87
  • Like 1

• Haha 1
  • Wow 1

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Wow, well there you go, I guess we’re getting Hudson. This is getting depressing. The other guys we were after I could understand. I can’t really understand why he would pick Cincinnati over us. There’s literally no logical reason. This is embarrassing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have to vent. This is getting really embarrassing. We’re losing out top players to Cincinnati, Oklahoma and UCF. There has to be something else going on. Not one of those teams have the pedigree that Pearl and Auburn has over the past 6 years.

Also, we are getting skill dragged online by our rivals and national media, saying how Auburn lost another top recruit. Our perception right now is bad.

Edited by AUSCalum87
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Wow, well there you go, I guess we’re getting Hudson. This is getting depressing. The other guys we were after I could understand. I can’t really understand why he would pick Cincinnati over us. There’s literally no logical reason. This is embarrassing.

Embarrassing for the players. Like Cincinnati!? Lololol k. That error is on them. I’m not embarrassed for the staff. Just sad we don’t have a big enough nil budget. I feel bad for them tbh they are having to recruit with 1 hand behind their back…. AU power brokers don’t care enough about Bruce ball.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Embarrassing for the players. Like Cincinnati!? Lololol k. That error is on them. I’m not embarrassed for the staff. Just sad we don’t have a big enough nil budget. I feel bad for them tbh they are having to recruit with 1 hand behind their back…. AU power brokers don’t care enough about Bruce ball.

Just read on another free board that Auburn had thought he was committing to us and then Cincinnati came in a few hours ago and outbid us and he committed right then. I don’t know anymore. Just go ahead and get some JUCO guys and hope for the best now. My expectations for next year have really been tampered. We have no quality backup PG, no starting PF and no quality backup big man. Auburn is going to have to hope and pray our guys play above their potential and hope none of our starters ever get hurt or it’s over.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I have to vent. This is getting really embarrassing. We’re losing out top players to Cincinnati, Oklahoma and UCF. There has to be something else going on. Not one of those teams have the pedigree that Pearl and Auburn has over the past 6 years.

What else could be going on? Nil and/ or guaranteed assurances for starting spots. That’s another wrinkle. We need quality backups more than anyone because of our hockey line change rotations. All these guys wouldn’t have started here 100% guaranteed besides Mitchell. That is what we haven’t talked in this thread about enough. The guys who committed to ucf and Oklahoma would have been depth guys here. Having to have 10 guys is actually a disadvantage because very rarely does any college team have a 2 deep of quality rotation players.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Just read on another free board that Auburn had thought he was committing to us and then Cincinnati came in a few hours ago and outbid us and he committed right then. I don’t know anymore. Just go ahead and get some JUCO guys and hope for the best now. My expectations for next year have really been tampered. We have no quality backup PG, no starting PF and no quality backup big man. Auburn is going to have to hope and pray our guys play above their potential and hope none of our starters ever get hurt or it’s over.

None of this should even be a problem. Only for us because we give 10 guys pretty big minutes. Most teams only play 7 or 8 guys.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

What else could be going on? Nil and/ or guaranteed assurances for starting spots. That’s another wrinkle. We need quality backups more than anyone because of our hockey line change rotations. All these guys wouldn’t have started here 100% guaranteed besides Mitchell. That is what we haven’t talked in this thread about enough. The guys who committed to ucf and Oklahoma would have been depth guys here. Having to have 10 guys is actually a disadvantage because very rarely does any college team have a 2 deep of quality rotation players.

Mitchell would have started here day 1, that’s why I don’t understand him going to Cincinnati. Even with NIL, he would be going to a championship team. And I get that Pearl loves to play around 10 guys, but that’s another thing I have some criticism about him. I think it would be best to have 6-8 good to great players rather than 1 maybe 2 good to great players and the rest are barely average. I also think it’s what’s hurt us in the past few tournaments, our core guys don’t play enough with each other and don’t really get to gel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yessir. 100% agree with you. Also noticed a lot of those folks that were totally done with both our point guards (that Bruce couldn't evaluate properly) had a come apart when they both transferred. And some of those folks thought BP played entirely too many players ,too. Now they hyperventilate and give up on the season when we lose backup players. Once again, I would love to have tons of talent 2-3 deep at every position. I'm not sure any team does. I'll support my Tigers from my recliner as usual, especially in the pay for play sport we have now. 

My question is if it’s really NIL, why even go after these guys anymore? We apparently have nothing left and we aren’t going to outbid anyone. It’s almost like these past 3 weeks have been a huge waste of time. Just go after a JUCO or D2 guy and call it a day.

• Like 1