House Republican budget calls for raising the retirement age for Social Security

4 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/republican-budget-raise-age-retirement-social-security-medicare-rcna144341

The Republicans are hitting the "Third Rail" of the American Electorate. You could not do anything dumber than this. 

Trump suggested it. Then everyone did damage control. Then they put it in their budget anyway.

Funny that. 

• Haha 1

Not much of a change. We already have different extended ages for “fully retired”. But you can still take it early. Making Medicare compete is a good idea. Obamacare doubled or tripled premiums and created astronomical deductibles.  Typical misleading title. Republicans working to make it solvent in the future. Hey making the rich pay more..what’s not to like?

Well since social security runs out of funds in 10 years, somebody probably should do  something. 1) lower benefits 2) raise age 3) raise taxes 4) die sooner.  None sound popular but math is math.

1 hour ago, auburnatl1 said:

Well since social security runs out of funds in 10 years, somebody probably should do  something. 1) lower benefits 2) raise age 3) raise taxes 4) die sooner.  None sound popular but math is math.

Other options.

https://www.crfb.org/blogs/ten-options-secure-social-security-trust-fund

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Cool. I was already looking into never being able to retire anyway. 

i am still waiting for you to shock me................

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, AUDub said:

Trump suggested it. Then everyone did damage control. Then they put it in their budget anyway.

Funny that. 

Dub, it is suicide. If you want to pick the moment the Rep Party unflinchingly ceased to be, it was yesterday.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Thank you. 

These two parties have been arguing over SS for 40 years. They have done nothing. Some of the Leadership has been in Washington ALL 40 F'in Years. 

Every 2-4 years they trot out the "We gonna fix SS" meme and then BOTH PARTIES DO NOTHING.

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Dub, it is suicide. If you want to pick the moment the Rep Party unflinchingly ceased to be, it was yesterday.

I don’t think it is. Any other candidate yes. But Trump’s support is fervent and hard policy is a secondary concern. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I don’t think it is. Any other candidate yes. But Trump’s support is fervent and hard policy is a secondary concern. 

But Brother, the margins of winning are too small. It wont take a shift of 120K voters to win or lose the election if they are in the right voting districts. 

RFKjr is going to be a real game-changer for one of these nominees. 

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

Thank you. 

These two parties have been arguing over SS for 40 years. They have done nothing. Some of the Leadership has been in Washington ALL 40 F'in Years. 

Every 2-4 years they trot out the "We gonna fix SS" meme and then BOTH PARTIES DO NOTHING.

It's not social security per se that is broken. It's spending.  The best thing we could do to fix SS is to have all federal employees join social security instead of taking a federal pension.  Phase it in so it is fair to current retirees.  Have them join medicare too. We don't need a pampered 1% with separate rules determining how to keep SS solvent. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

It's not social security per se that is broken. It's spending.  The best thing we could do to fix SS is to have all federal employees join social security instead of taking a federal pension.  Phase it in so it is fair to current retirees.  Have them join medicare too. We don't need a pampered 1% with separate rules determining how to keep SS solvent. 

This is an actual decent argument. It would be step one to fix this.

21 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Federal employees have paid into social security since 1984. They also are eligible for Medicare.

IMG_1791.jpeg

• Like 1

Don’t worry everyone it’s all smoke and mirrors.    All these asylum seekers you see coming into the country are getting SS checks.    How much did they pay into it?   If you don’t think they are qualified to get it, just go to the SS website and see who is eligible.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/columnist/2024/03/13/ben-shapiro-retirement-trump-social-security-medicare-cuts/72947221007/

Conservative pundit says retirement 'is a stupid idea.' I agree. Let us work until we die.

Whether it’s a conservative pundit saying retirement “is a stupid idea” or GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump talking about cutting Medicare and Social Security, one thing is clear: Republicans rightly recognize that all us Americans would be better off if we worked until we’re dead.

I strongly support this stance and have long planned to continue working until my last breath, collapsing face-first onto a laptop as my ancient carcass succumbs to the ravages of time.

Noted podcaster and conservative thought leader Ben Shapiro said on his show Tuesday, “It's insane that we haven't raised the retirement age in the United States.”

He continued: “No one in the United States should be retiring at 65 years old. Frankly, I think retirement itself is a stupid idea unless you have some sort of health problem. Everybody that I know who is elderly, who has retired, is dead within five years.”

I applaud the GOP's new 'work until you're dead' platform

This is true. Nobody who has ever retired has lasted more than five years, and anyone who claims they have is clearly a zombie. Frankly, I feel almost dead by the end of most weekends, thirsting for the sweet, life-giving invigoration of sweat and toil.

I’m glad to see the Republican Party lean into my long-standing work-till-death philosophy, and I hope they campaign hard on it heading into the November elections. That will help them reckon with Trump’s recent statement on CNBC about Social Security and Medicare: “So first of all, there is a lot you can do in terms of entitlements, in terms of cutting.”

A Trump campaign spokesman told NBC News the former president was talking about “cutting waste and fraud,” but (WINK!) wouldn’t provide any additional information on how that cutting (WINK!) would be done or how much it might save (WINK!).

Republicans have their eyes on raising retirement age and cutting Social Security

During her failed presidential campaign, Nikki Haley proposed raising the retirement age for younger Americans: “What you would do is, for those in their 20s coming into the system, we would change the retirement age so that it matches life expectancy.”

And House Speaker Mike Johnson, when he was chair of the Republican Study Committee in 2020, created a budget that would raise eligibility ages for the two programs while cutting $750 billion from Social Security and $2 trillion from Medicare.

Only lackadaisical liberals need things like 'retirement' or 'breaks'

I think we can all see where this is heading, and I’m here to tell you it’s a good place. The whole concept of retiring so you can actually enjoy part of your life is lazy liberal nonsense, no different than catering-to-the-weak work entitlements like lunch breaks or sick days. 

Look at President Joe Biden, whom I do not like because he's a liberal who supports the idea of Americans being able to comfortably retire. He's 81 and clearly wants to stay at his job and keep working until past his mid-80s. That's the kind of stick-to-it fortitude all American workers should have, and Republicans should embrace Biden's desire to push his career to the limits rather than encouraging him to retire.

We Americans are meant to work endlessly and tirelessly, as dictated by people like Trump, Johnson and Shapiro, inspirational leaders with smooth hands who’ve never been inconvenienced by perspiration.

That’s probably why so many Republicans across the country have been pushing to loosen child labor laws. If infants weren’t meant to work in coal mines, it wouldn’t be so easy to plop them in buckets and lower them down. That’s just science.

Work to live and live to work – it's the Republican way

I believe every American child, teenager, adult and nonagenarian should be working at all times, without rest, until they expire, and I’m delighted to see the Republican Party agrees.

I left the womb and went straight to work as a day care security guard, and, God willing, I’ll enter the ground wrapping up a few remaining work tasks.

Entitlements are for ne’er-do-wells and retirement is for snowflakes. Vote Republican, people. Then proudly work your way to the grave.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Federal employees have paid into social security since 1984. They also are eligible for Medicare.

IMG_1791.jpeg

Yes, they get Social Security and their federal pension. Retirement age for the pension is 57.  They also get a separate healthcare retirement plan with richer benefits than medicare. Why is this a good idea? 

32 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/columnist/2024/03/13/ben-shapiro-retirement-trump-social-security-medicare-cuts/72947221007/

Conservative pundit says retirement 'is a stupid idea.' I agree. Let us work until we die.

Whether it’s a conservative pundit saying retirement “is a stupid idea” or GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump talking about cutting Medicare and Social Security, one thing is clear: Republicans rightly recognize that all us Americans would be better off if we worked until we’re dead.

I strongly support this stance and have long planned to continue working until my last breath, collapsing face-first onto a laptop as my ancient carcass succumbs to the ravages of time.

Noted podcaster and conservative thought leader Ben Shapiro said on his show Tuesday, “It's insane that we haven't raised the retirement age in the United States.”

He continued: “No one in the United States should be retiring at 65 years old. Frankly, I think retirement itself is a stupid idea unless you have some sort of health problem. Everybody that I know who is elderly, who has retired, is dead within five years.”

I applaud the GOP's new 'work until you're dead' platform

This is true. Nobody who has ever retired has lasted more than five years, and anyone who claims they have is clearly a zombie. Frankly, I feel almost dead by the end of most weekends, thirsting for the sweet, life-giving invigoration of sweat and toil.

I’m glad to see the Republican Party lean into my long-standing work-till-death philosophy, and I hope they campaign hard on it heading into the November elections. That will help them reckon with Trump’s recent statement on CNBC about Social Security and Medicare: “So first of all, there is a lot you can do in terms of entitlements, in terms of cutting.”

A Trump campaign spokesman told NBC News the former president was talking about “cutting waste and fraud,” but (WINK!) wouldn’t provide any additional information on how that cutting (WINK!) would be done or how much it might save (WINK!).

Republicans have their eyes on raising retirement age and cutting Social Security

During her failed presidential campaign, Nikki Haley proposed raising the retirement age for younger Americans: “What you would do is, for those in their 20s coming into the system, we would change the retirement age so that it matches life expectancy.”

And House Speaker Mike Johnson, when he was chair of the Republican Study Committee in 2020, created a budget that would raise eligibility ages for the two programs while cutting $750 billion from Social Security and $2 trillion from Medicare.

Only lackadaisical liberals need things like 'retirement' or 'breaks'

I think we can all see where this is heading, and I’m here to tell you it’s a good place. The whole concept of retiring so you can actually enjoy part of your life is lazy liberal nonsense, no different than catering-to-the-weak work entitlements like lunch breaks or sick days. 

Look at President Joe Biden, whom I do not like because he's a liberal who supports the idea of Americans being able to comfortably retire. He's 81 and clearly wants to stay at his job and keep working until past his mid-80s. That's the kind of stick-to-it fortitude all American workers should have, and Republicans should embrace Biden's desire to push his career to the limits rather than encouraging him to retire.

We Americans are meant to work endlessly and tirelessly, as dictated by people like Trump, Johnson and Shapiro, inspirational leaders with smooth hands who’ve never been inconvenienced by perspiration.

That’s probably why so many Republicans across the country have been pushing to loosen child labor laws. If infants weren’t meant to work in coal mines, it wouldn’t be so easy to plop them in buckets and lower them down. That’s just science.

Work to live and live to work – it's the Republican way

I believe every American child, teenager, adult and nonagenarian should be working at all times, without rest, until they expire, and I’m delighted to see the Republican Party agrees.

I left the womb and went straight to work as a day care security guard, and, God willing, I’ll enter the ground wrapping up a few remaining work tasks.

Entitlements are for ne’er-do-wells and retirement is for snowflakes. Vote Republican, people. Then proudly work your way to the grave.

If all continues to go according to plan, we will retire before 45 :-X

21 minutes ago, arein0 said:

If all continues to go according to plan, we will retire before 45 :-X

Great, good for planning like you have.  Will you still draw on SS?

13 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Great, good for planning like you have.  Will you still draw on SS?

If it's still there, of course. I won't depend on it but will gladly take it and pass it on to the next generation. 

But according to what coffee shared, I would die before I'm eligible :lol:

Edited by arein0
  • Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 10:46 PM, jj3jordan said:

Not much of a change. We already have different extended ages for “fully retired”. But you can still take it early. Making Medicare compete is a good idea. Obamacare doubled or tripled premiums and created astronomical deductibles.  Typical misleading title. Republicans working to make it solvent in the future. Hey making the rich pay more..what’s not to like?

If you think the Reps are going to make Billionaires pay their part, you Sir need a trip to a Rehab Center. They are NEVER going to do that. They may use 10M words on the campaign trail talking about it, but they are NEVER going to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

If you think the Reps are going to make Billionaires pay their part, you Sir need a trip to a Rehab Center. They are NEVER going to do that. They may use 10M words on the campaign trail talking about it, but they are NEVER going to do it.

So DON’T believe what the bill says? Fine. None of it is true. Got it. All good.

Just so we will know: What exactly is this “fair share” that liberals are always complaining about rich people not paying? I’ve never seen that actually defined. Please do.  Also do you, or anybody, believe that republicans are the only rich ones? Or are richer than liberal democrats? Are liberal democrat rich people willing to pay their fair share? Whatever that is?

Edited by jj3jordan
  • Facepalm 2

On 3/30/2024 at 9:32 AM, jj3jordan said:

So DON’T believe what the bill says? Fine. None of it is true. Got it. All good.

Just so we will know: What exactly is this “fair share” that liberals are always complaining about rich people not paying? I’ve never seen that actually defined. Please do.  Also do you, or anybody, believe that republicans are the only rich ones? Or are richer than liberal democrats? Are liberal democrat rich people willing to pay their fair share? Whatever that is?

Just give the rates as they were under Republican President Eisenhower.

Where 90 Percent Tax Rate Really Came From | by William B. Turner | Medium

On 3/30/2024 at 10:32 AM, jj3jordan said:

Ah,  an old fashion redistribution of wealth debate. Finally something  where my traditional republican roots can fire up - AND I can annoy @homersapienand @TexasTiger on.  A 2’fer!!! 

• Facepalm 1
  • Angry 1