House Republican budget calls for raising the retirement age for Social Security

22 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Ah,  an old fashion redistribution of wealth debate. Finally something  where my traditional republican roots can fire up - AND I can annoy @homersapienand @TexasTiger on.  A 2’fer!!! 

Let's not conflate income with wealth. ;) ;D

5 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

They certainly are coming for it. The government sponsored ads encouraging (begging) seniors to delay until they are older is a big, flashing clue. My ‘Next Up’ prediction: some elaborate tax and grab scheme for 401Ks. The politicians lust for our money is insatiable. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1

Nihilism may be gratifying - especially if you feel inadequate about your life's accomplishments - but it is no way to confront an existential threat to our democracy.

P.S.:

If you think of SS as a key part of your retirement finances, you screwed up 50 years ago by under funding your retirement. (It's a common mistake made by many otherwise well-educated people.)

SS is basically a life line for the poor.

Edited by homersapien
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, homersapien said:

Nihilism may be gratifying - especially if you feel inadequate about your life's accomplishments - but it is no way to confront an existential threat to our democracy.

So what you think we should do is to continue to trust the same people who have failed for four decades and place faith in them that the next time they will get it right while fully knowing they are owned and work with, and for, people whose interest is diametrically opposed to most Americans? 

That isn't nihilism, it is just using your brain and realizing that we need to try something completely new, keep doing the same failed system that we have now. 

Webinar: The Definition of Insanity is... | AccountingWEB

Edited by DKW 86

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, homersapien said:

P.S.:

If you think of SS as a key part of your retirement finances, you screwed up 50 years ago by under funding your retirement. (It's a common mistake made by many otherwise well-educated people.)

SS is basically a life line for the poor.

Of course SS is nothing more than a part of your retirement. As Dave Ramsey has been teaching for decades: "If you think you are  retiring on SS, you better like the taste of dog food."

In my life, I have a pension, a 401K, a settlement with the USN that pays me monthly, plus a side hustle. I am not even taking SS until I hit 67 because we are that satisfied. 

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

My ‘Next Up’ prediction: some elaborate tax and grab scheme for 401Ks. The politicians lust for our money is insatiable. 

I have heard rumblings of this for two years now. They are trial ballooning this soon. 

43 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

So what you think we should do is to continue to trust the same people who have failed for four decades and place faith in them that the next time they will get it right while fully knowing they are owned and work with, and for, people whose interest is diametrically opposed to most Americans? 

That isn't nihilism, it is just using your brain and realizing that we need to try something completely new, keep doing the same failed system that we have now. 

First political parties aren't "people".  They reflect people and they change constantly with their leadership.  (See Trump and the Republivcan party.)

Second, if you are dissatisfied with what our political system has accomplished in the last 40 year, stop complaining and do something about it.  Constant expressions of disgust and claiming both sides are the same and nothing can be done because of that doesn't help change things. It's pure nihilism.  It accomplishes nothing.  In fact, it reflects the sentiment in your gif - do your really think your constant nihilism is actually going to change anything?

Furthermore, if you really think there is no difference between Biden/Democrats and Trump/Republicans, you clearly haven't been paying attention.

You have two choices in the coming election.  Which choice do you think is the most likely to effect real (positive) change?  Which choice do you think is most likely to push the country in a regressive path?

Why don't you use your brain and propose "something completely new" we should try instead of simply bitching about how both sides are the same - and equally bad - which is a preposterous claim on its face.

9 hours ago, homersapien said:

First political parties aren't "people". OMG, are you that stupid?

They reflect people and they change constantly with their leadership.  (See Trump and the Republivcan party.)

Second, if you are dissatisfied with what our political system has accomplished in the last 40 year, stop complaining and do something about it.
WTF do you think some people in America are doing? 

Constant expressions of disgust and claiming both sides are the same and nothing can be done because of that doesn't help change things. It's pure nihilism.  It accomplishes nothing.  In fact, it reflects the sentiment in your gif - do your really think your constant nihilism is actually going to change anything?

Furthermore, if you really think there is no difference between Biden/Democrats and Trump/Republicans, you clearly haven't been paying attention. OMG, you are that stupid.

You have two choices in the coming election.  Which choice do you think is the most likely to effect real (positive) change? NEITHER ONE IDIOT.

Which choice do you think is most likely to push the country in a regressive path?

9 hours ago, homersapien said:

Why don't you use your brain and propose "something completely new" we should try instead of simply bitching about how both sides are the same - and equally bad - which is a preposterous claim on its face.

I know you cant disengage from the narrative talking points to think that we should hold anyone accountable or anything like that.

No, you are okay that people don't get healthcare, and that kids have been stuck in failing schools for three generations now. All you care about is some lame-ass loyalty to a party that cashed out decades ago.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

I know you cant disengage from the narrative talking points to think that we should hold anyone accountable or anything like that.

No, you are okay that people don't get healthcare, and that kids have been stuck in failing schools for three generations now. All you care about is some lame-ass loyalty to a party that cashed out decades ago.

You must be off your meds again. :-\

Naturally, I didn't say- or infer - any of that. 

I know it's a habit of yours, but in the future I suggespresumptuouset you (politely) ask for confirmation or clarification before charging off on one of your crazy, unfounded inferences (narrative?) - along with the insults - in responding. (Remember the "liar" incident??)

It will at least keep you from looking like the jerk you normally are. 

But I have to admit, I find the irony of you accusing everyone else of pursuing narratives.  You couldn't free yourself from your "narrative" to save your life. You see everything through that lens, to the extent you aren't even interested if it doesn't apply.

(So yeah, the Republican and Democratic parties are "indistinguishable". :laugh:  Now that's a narrative. But you're gonna find that's a hard sell to any thinking person.)

What a jerk you are.  You are more interested in flinging poo than honest debate, as this response so clearly illustrates.  You are a jerk.

Edited by homersapien

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, homersapien said:

You must be off your meds again. :-\

Naturally, I didn't say- or infer - any of that. 

I know it's a habit of yours, but in the future I suggespresumptuouset you (politely) ask for confirmation or clarification before charging off on one of your crazy, unfounded inferences (narrative?) - along with the insults - in responding. (Remember the "liar" incident??)

It will at least keep you from looking like the jerk you normally are. 

But I have to admit, I find the irony of you accusing everyone else of pursuing narratives.  You couldn't free yourself from your "narrative" to save your life. You see everything through that lens, to the extent you aren't even interested if it doesn't apply.

(So yeah, the Republican and Democratic parties are "indistinguishable". :laugh:  Now that's a narrative. But you're gonna find that's a hard sell to any thinking person.)

What a jerk you are.  You are more interested in flinging poo than honest debate, as this response so clearly illustrates.  You are a jerk.

Your debate technique in a very few words:

Blindly quote a narrative by the party.

Read an avalanche of evidence that disavows said talking points.

Rinse and repeat debunked talking points as if nothing happened. 

Throw out 100 Whataboutisms about why your guy doesn't suck as bad as the other guy.

Day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't know why you even come here. I really don't, other to cement yourself as the most tone-deaf poster on the board.

Elections are referendums by the populace on who should lead. What do the US Voters think of the two parties????

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/americans-dismayed-by-biden-trump-2024-rematch-reutersipsos-poll-finds-2024-01-25/

Trump vs. Biden: The rematch many Americans don't want

Trump's six-point lead held even when respondents were given the option of voting for third-party candidates, including anti-vaccine activist Robert F. Kennedy Jr., with Trump drawing 36% support, Biden 30% and Kennedy 8%.
Slightly more than half of respondents said they were dissatisfied with the U.S. two-party system, with just one in four satisfied by it.
Whitney Tallarico, 33, a consultant interviewed in Washington, is among those considering an alternative.

"The independents don't really have a voice. Polarizing characters usually take the front seat, and it's a little sad for our country," Tallarico said this week. Asked whether she would vote for Biden or Trump, she said, "I'll probably go for a third party."

AGE ISSUE

[1
Overall, the poll gave numerous signs that voters are not happy with their choices.
Seventy percent of respondents - including about half of Democrats - agreed with a statement that Biden should not seek re-election. Fifty-six percent of people responding to the poll said Trump should not run, including about a third of Republicans.
derail his presidential bid.
Edited by DKW 86

On 4/3/2024 at 11:55 AM, homersapien said:

But Homie,

Is it nihilism or learned helplessness?

:lol: 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

But Homie,

Is it nihilism or learned helplessness?

:lol: 

Maybe "learned helplessness" is better.  I like it.  :thumbsup:

(But Nihilism worked better in the sentence. ;D)

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1