Denver, CBM, and Chaney

The Portal was good to us this year all three were solid contributors who got better as the year progressed.

Denver was brought in to add a SG who could hit the 3. At the beginning of the year he surprised us with how good his Defense was but his scoring was not there he started out poorly shooting the three, and while he beat his man of the dribble he missed to many shots inside. As the year went on his shot improved in last part of the year he was our best outside soring threat both from the three and pull up shots for 2, while continuing be a really good defender and he has a really good handle.

Chaney did not start out that well either partly because he was playing behind Jaylin and partly he initially had trouble adjusting to the better competition in the SEC. He really started to show signs before Jaylin got hurt and then came through big in the game where Jaylin was out.  A solid defender, rim protector and was a good rebounder based on rebounds per minutes played. The more he played the better he got.

CBM was good from day one tremendous hustle on both offense and defense, long arms impacted passing lanes, hit 3's, scored at the rim, had a solid handle. He was energy personified, Like Denver he could create his own shot. He was 45% shooter around 41% on threes.

Assuming they stay I expect all of them to be improved. I am hoping that the portal will be at least as good to us as in the past few years with players like these plus Kessler and Broome. 

• Like 3

I dunno if their evaluations have really been that bad since the transfer portal era began. I think they need more consistency out of the HS kids really. But since 2021 when I believe it began: Kessler, WGJ, Zep, KD, Broome, Chad, AD Scott, Chaney, Denver? I believe that’s everyone, but that’s a pretty great lineup IMO. You’re missing the slam dunk point guard obviously, but in terms of the guys you actually got, pretty solid. 

• Like 2

I finally figured out who CBM reminds me of, with the 2-way nature of his play and his long arms: Tayshaun Prince (played 4 years for KY then in the NBA with the Detroit Pistons).

Notably, Prince is the only player in NBA history to have scored more points in the playoffs than in the regular season, within a single year.

Edited by WillMunny
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WillMunny said:

I finally figured out who CBM reminds me of, with the 2-way nature of his play and his long arms: Tayshaun Prince (played 4 years for KY then in the NBA with the Detroit Pistons).

Notably, Prince is the only player in NBA history to have scored more points in the playoffs than in the regular season, within a single year.

Not a bad comparison. That dude could ball.

• Like 1