Pearl goes on fiery rant defending Chad Baker-Mazara

al.com

Auburn’s Bruce Pearl goes on fiery rant defending Chad Baker-Mazara

Updated: Mar. 28, 2024, 3:04 p.m.|Published: Mar. 28, 2024, 2:35 p.m.

~4 minutes

Auburn Basketball

‘Stop messing with my son’: Auburn’s Bruce Pearl goes on fiery rant defending Chad Baker-Mazara

"Stop messing with my son": Bruce Pearl goes on fiery rant defending Chad Baker-Mazara

Auburn head basketball coach Bruce Pearl still thinks the flagrant 2 that was called against Chad Baker-Mazara in the opening three minutes of the Tigers’ NCAA Tournament-opening game against Yale should’ve been called a flagrant 1.

“Could it have been a flagrant 2? Yes, it could have been,” Pearl said in a press conference Thursday. “But three minutes into the game when there really wasn’t anything where we were having any problems on the floor with temperatures rising or things like that. I knew right there we were in trouble.”

Baker-Mazara was whistled for the foul after throwing an elbow into Yale’s August Mahoney as the two ran up the floor together in the first half — an act Pearl says was retaliatory after Baker-Mazara was hit the play prior.

“I thought the fact that it was retaliatory, that five seconds earlier Chad-Baker got hit in the throat on a flagrant play that was missed, should have been taken into consideration,” Pearl said. “I just thought the finality of, you work all year long to put yourself in that position and then on a judgment call remove him from the game. I just thought it was too excessive.”

Auburn went on to lose to Yale 78-76 — a game that Pearl went on to describe as “one of the most disappointing losses” in his career.

While Pearl maintains Baker-Mazara’s early ejection played a role in the game’s result, he recognizes there were “a lot of the mistakes and some of the stuff that reared their ugly head have happened over a period of time and were just kind of the sum of a perfect storm.”

However, that’s not what’s been talked about since the game’s end.

Instead, Baker-Mazara’s ejection has continued to be a hot topic — for better or for worse.

And on Thursday, Pearl offered a fiery response to those who continue to give Baker-Mazara grief on social media.

“I’m just going to tell the Auburn family, while I know you’re disappointed, if somebody was messing with your son, you’d stand up for your son a little bit, wouldn’t you? Stop messing with my son,” Pearl said. “Stop it. He apologized. He made a mistake. And I’m calling you out. I’m not having it.”

Since the incident, Baker-Mazara has apologized, Pearl said — echoing the comments his son and associate head coach Steven Pearl said Tuesday.

“At the same time, on the other side of the coin, we’re handling that with total accountability. Chad made a mistake. He should have never done it. He should have walked away. There were several times during the course of the season where he made the same mistake,” Pearl said.

“What a really difficult way to learn from that mistake. At the same time, I would also like to remind our fans and anybody listening that Chad owned up to that mistake. And he’s apologized for that mistake. And he’s taken responsibility for it, although the consequences were really, really significant. And he feels really bad. He’s struggling with that right now.”

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

• Thanks 1

this is probably my last post. i was threatened and some say i was not and are blowing it off. i have witnesses. hell they will not say anything. i can sign out and still ghost the site. thanks for those that put up with me and have a great one.

12 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

this is probably my last post. i was threatened and some say i was not and are blowing it off. i have witnesses. hell they will not say anything. i can sign out and still ghost the site. thanks for those that put up with me and have a great one.

Please don't make this your last post. You are a great part of this site.

I didn’t have a prob with the call. If the elbow was thrown by an opponent running down the court without the ball, rather than establishing position in the paint, we would all feel a flagrant 2 was the correct call. It 100% was the correct call.

With CBM, you know what you get with him. You get a Draymond Green hothead type who can’t help himself but retaliate, question refs and in scuffles, throws his hands up, but where he still maintains contact with the guy he’s beefing with. He just cannot let stuff go. That type is wayyy more forgiving in the NBA. It simply will not fly with college refs. So you take the good with the bad with CBM.

The prob I had was all the ticky tack calls in the 1st half on AU that continued from the SEC Tourney. Some of them we didn’t touch the opponent. Some were all ball. Those four games were some of the worst called college games I’ve seen.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Viper said:

I didn’t have a prob with the call. If the elbow was thrown by an opponent running down the court without the ball, rather than establishing position in the paint, we would all feel a flagrant 2 was the correct call. It 100% was the correct call.

With CBM, you know what you get with him. You get a Draymond Green hothead type who can’t help himself but retaliate, question refs and in scuffles, throws his hands up, but where he still maintains contact with the guy he’s beefing with. He just cannot let stuff go. That type is wayyy more forgiving in the NBA. It simply will not fly with college refs. So you take the good with the bad with CBM.

The prob I had was all the ticky tack calls in the 1st half on AU that continued from the SEC Tourney. Some of them we didn’t touch the opponent. Some were all ball. Those four games were some of the worst called college games I’ve seen.

I bet the farm when the refs reviewed game tape of both teams before the game . They watched CBM like a hawk. CBM has shown his ass for numerous games and Bruce and Steven did nothing. Defend all you want, but take responsibility for his attitude 

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

On 3/29/2024 at 7:22 PM, JDUBB4AU said:

I bet the farm when the refs reviewed game tape of both teams before the game . They watched CBM like a hawk. CBM has shown his ass for numerous games and Bruce and Steven did nothing. Defend all you want, but take responsibility for his attitude 

This,  and explains Bruce’s “firey rant”

your son got caught and dad has to take responsibility.

Its great that he loves his players no doubt but he has let them down at the same time…along with Auburn 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 7:22 PM, JDUBB4AU said:

Auburn basketball fans in a nutshell SMH 

1 hour ago, TigerOne said:

This,  and explains Bruce’s “firey rant”

your son got caught and dad has to take responsibility.

Its great that he loves his players no doubt but he has let them down at the same time…along with Auburn 

I believe part of that fiery rant was to try to deflect attention away from an embarrassing defeat. BP is a great salesman 

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bruce should be out beating the bushes looking for him some guards instead of making excuses for undisciplined basketball. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I believe part of that fiery rant was to try to deflect attention away from an embarrassing defeat. BP is a great salesman 

Wholeheartedly agree.  Keeps the focus off how poorly coached we were down the stretch of that game.  Pressure’s on now that Alabama has made another deep run in the tournament and Bruce is still cashing checks off of one from 5 years ago.  It’s like it’s a requirement for coaches at Auburn in any sport to have one Cinderella run, cash in, and do just enough to make fans think it wasn’t a one off.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

Auburn basketball fans in a nutshell SMH 

Cole I wasn’t saying they singled out CBM or AU. I am saying he singled himself out. Refs review tape and share info amongst each other during the week leading up to games. There is significant game prep for refs just like players. I bet the refs in previous week said watch CBM due to the fact that he has been in numerous dust ups and gotten F 1 fouls. That’s reality 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Cole I wasn’t saying they singled out CBM or AU. I am saying he singled himself out. Refs review tape and share info amongst each other during the week leading up to games. There is significant game prep for refs just like players. I bet the refs in previous week said watch CBM due to the fact that he has been in numerous dust ups and gotten F 1 fouls. That’s reality 

I wasn't going after that but to be honest I pulled you in a disagreement you weren't even having with me and I apologize for that. I'm sorry. No disrespect. 

I guess my point is I feel that many Auburn fans are hell bent on how they don't like his aggressive style that they are giving a pass to the bs call. Hardly anybody is standing up for that call and you haven't seen anything close to anybody being kicked out of a game, and there's been a bunch of elbows

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I wasn't going after that but to be honest I pulled you in a disagreement you weren't even having with me and I apologize for that. I'm sorry. No disrespect. 

I guess my point is I feel that many Auburn fans are hell bent on how they don't like his aggressive style that they are giving a pass to the bs call. Hardly anybody is standing up for that call and you haven't seen anything close to anybody being kicked out of a game, and there's been a bunch of elbows

I.e. whitewashing his previous play as 'aggressive' and not innappropiate, and disregarding the fact that the refs probably took prior history with CBM into consideration for the call and didn't treat it as an isolated incident. All while calling Auburn fans that don't agree with him relics of a bygone basketball era that want slow white guys who pass the ball 50 times a possession. 

I think I encapsulated most of your previous ridiculous arguments there.

11 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

I.e. whitewashing his previous play as 'aggressive' and not innappropiate, and disregarding the fact that the refs probably took prior history with CBM into consideration for the call and didn't treat it as an isolated incident. All while calling Auburn fans that don't agree with him relics of a bygone basketball era that want slow white guys who pass the ball 50 times a possession. 

I think I encapsulated most of your previous ridiculous arguments there.

Only thing ridiculous is you not being able to see that you aren't a rule maker in basketball. Just because you say his previous play was inappropriate doesn't mean it is..... But you don't like it so it must be right? 

And if the refs didn't treat it on a case by case incident you know that is also against the rules right? Of course you don't because you hate seeing a guy push somebody back right? Those kids running around out there being this and such???

Well not the Yale kid, he's fine right? But I don't want to start up only you can come to conclusions, you somehow make a bunch of posts without actually saying anything in the post so you can reply with the I didn't say that line. 

I learned something today though, now it's ok to call foul on players because they fouled a bunch previously. I can't even count the times I was told the reason I was called for a foul was because of the fouls the week before

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Only thing ridiculous is you not being able to see that you aren't a rule maker in basketball. Just because you say his previous play was inappropriate doesn't mean it is..... But you don't like it so it must be right? 

And if the refs didn't treat it on a case by case incident you know that is also against the rules right? Of course you don't because you hate seeing a guy push somebody back right? Those kids running around out there being this and such???

Well not the Yale kid, he's fine right? But I don't want to start up only you can come to conclusions, you somehow make a bunch of posts without actually saying anything in the post so you can reply with the I didn't say that line. 

I learned something today though, now it's ok to call foul on players because they fouled a bunch previously. I can't even count the times I was told the reason I was called for a foul was because of the fouls the week before

And just because you say his play was appropriate doesn't make it that way, either. In fact, I'd say his foul record of techs and flagrants seem to disagree with you. Unless those fouls were designed to be called for 'appropriate play'.

I've never once said the Yale kid was fine. The reason I have to constantly say I didn't say something when discussing with you is you have a horrible habit of making s*** up.

If you think previous play that draws constant techs and flagrants doesn't affect how a ref calls a player, I don't know what to tell you. Against the rules or not.

Edited by KansasTiger

18 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

And just because you say his play was appropriate doesn't make it that way, either. In fact, I'd say his foul record of techs and flagrants seem to disagree with you. Unless those fouls were designed to be called for 'appropriate play'.

I've never once said the Yale kid was fine. The reason I have to constantly say I didn't say something when discussing with you is you have a horrible habit of making s*** up.

If you think previous play that draws constant techs and flagrants doesn't affect how a ref calls a player, I don't know what to tell you. Against the rules or not.

If you can understand a ref doing it then you can understand a player reacting to getting pushed in his face.... But I don't know what to tell you. 

And here we go, no you didn't say it you just facepalmed when I said it..... But there goes that disingenuous you didn't say anything..... It's bulletproof in debate huh? 

I also haven't forgot that none of you has really shown all of these techs that you all couldn't stand where he was out hurting people. I looked up one where someone brought up and it was a tech he got for talking to a guy after he hit a 3. This guy was talking to him when he missed it first. I wasn't surprised that the tech was that as opposed to him hurting someone...... And yes you are right, I think it's perfectly fine to talk playing basketball. But I know many in here would find that hard to understand.

I'm open to go down a list of ALL of these of so many flagrant fouls he's had. I would love to look at them individually. 

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If you can understand a ref doing it then you can understand a player reacting to getting pushed in his face.... But I don't know what to tell you. 

And here we go, no you didn't say it you just facepalmed when I said it..... But there goes that disingenuous you didn't say anything..... It's bulletproof in debate huh? 

I also haven't forgot that none of you has really shown all of these techs that you all couldn't stand where he was out hurting people. I looked up one where someone brought up and it was a tech he got for talking to a guy after he hit a 3. This guy was talking to him when he missed it first. I wasn't surprised that the tech was that as opposed to him hurting someone...... And yes you are right, I think it's perfectly fine to talk playing basketball. But I know many in here would find that hard to understand.

I'm open to go down a list of ALL of these of so many flagrant fouls he's had. I would love to look at them individually. 

Only time I recall facepalming you on this topic was after our discussion when you admitted to another poster you weren't even that familiar with CBM's previous fouls. I found it odd you'd argue so hard his play was appropriate then admit that. Doesn't seem to back up your position well.

While I'd love to go find these fouls and run down them with you, I don't have that kind of time with a 2 week old baby.

I seem to recall Charles Barkley getting ejected from a game against Kentucky early in his career at AU. It was only minutes into the game at AU. Their player ran down the court in Charles' ear. Sir Charles gave him a forearm in his back that continued the UK player into the stands beyond the baseline. # 34 got ejected and we lost the game. We would've won if he had kept his cool.

Anyone else remember that game? 

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

Only time I recall facepalming you on this topic was after our discussion when you admitted to another poster you weren't even that familiar with CBM's previous fouls. I found it odd you'd argue so hard his play was appropriate then admit that. Doesn't seem to back up your position well.

While I'd love to go find these fouls and run down them with you, I don't have that kind of time with a 2 week old baby.

Are you saying you are familiar with all of his fouls?

And don't lie, the only thing you have saw me argue is that was a b.s. call and I'm the only person that actually went and found what the rule says. The rest of you added a bunch of stuff thats not in the rule book. I'm the only person on here with a position that's backed by anything other than opinion.

Edited by cole256

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

All good here Cole. I’m a KD fan , so aggressive is my middle name. My whole thing with this is to me I’ve seen more back talk from players to Pearl than ever. Broome, KD, CBM . Maybe that’s ok, but there is reckless and then there is aggression. Pearl has blurred that line. That behavior has translated to the court and cost AU. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, drsteve87 said:

I seem to recall Charles Barkley getting ejected from a game against Kentucky early in his career at AU. It was only minutes into the game at AU. Their player ran down the court in Charles' ear. Sir Charles gave him a forearm in his back that continued the UK player into the stands beyond the baseline. # 34 got ejected and we lost the game. We would've won if he had kept his cool.

I was not born yet. My apologies 

43 minutes ago, drsteve87 said:

Yep. Barkley has long ago admitted he had a lot of growing up to do. But I didn’t recall him just being in his ear, but it was clear his job was to provoke a reaction.

18 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

All good here Cole. I’m a KD fan , so aggressive is my middle name. My whole thing with this is to me I’ve seen more back talk from players to Pearl than ever. Broome, KD, CBM . Maybe that’s ok, but there is reckless and then there is aggression. Pearl has blurred that line. That behavior has translated to the court and cost AU. 

Now back talk isn't tolerated. I guess I haven't noticed that. You always let guys express themselves and you should actually want to know what they were thinking. But nah no back talk, especially not a D1 coach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Are you saying you are familiar with all of his fouls?

And don't lie, the only thing you have saw me argue is that was a b.s. call and I'm the only person that actually went and found what the rule says. The rest of you added a bunch of stuff thats not in the rule book. I'm the only person on here with a position that's backed by anything other than opinion.

Dude, you asked me about the rule and I practically quoted part of the rule back to you in my response. I told you I would classify it has brutal or harsh. You just ignored that part of my response and went on telling everyone your opinion is fact and youre the only one that knows the rule.

Scream it loud enough Cole, maybe it'll come true for you.

28 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

Dude, you asked me about the rule and I practically quoted part of the rule back to you in my response. I told you I would classify it has brutal or harsh. You just ignored that part of my response and went on telling everyone your opinion is fact and youre the only one that knows the rule.

Scream it loud enough Cole, maybe it'll come true for you.

On 3/24/2024 at 4:29 PM, KansasTiger said:

He wound up and elbowed the dude in the chest. Almost the equivalent of throwing a punch. I'd call that dangerous or harsh.

So I guess this is what you are talking about..... And I'm supposed to feel that's you quoting a rule? Mind you, you also wrote this randomly when I'm talking to someone else but you wanted to start an argument. 

Now you are so hurt you are insulting and starting another argument.... Where you still just keep repeating nothing substantial, just you don't like the way he has played in the past so you think he deserved it, because you feel Pearl should not allow him to yell and push and elbow people..... We get it, you don't like it. Oh well..... Maybe we'll get a bunch of players like the Yale guys and you'll be happy. That's all I can tell you. 

And LMAO the elbow was dangerous or harsh..... The elbow that didn't knock the guy down. Didn't even make him stumble...... Good thing he loves thru it 😂. It was touch and go there for a second! Lucky nobody died!

You keep deflecting though, you have this great schtick where you NEVER answer questions that are asked. You just keep saying stuff that you then say you didn't say. I asked are you familiar with all of his flagrant and technical fouls?

Edited by cole256