Pearl goes on fiery rant defending Chad Baker-Mazara

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

So I guess this is what you are talking about..... And I'm supposed to feel that's you quoting a rule? Mind you, you also wrote this randomly when I'm talking to someone else but you wanted to start an argument. 

Now you are so hurt you are insulting and starting another argument.... Where you still just keep repeating nothing substantial, just you don't like the way he has played in the past so you think he deserved it, because you feel Pearl should not allow him to yell and push and elbow people..... We get it, you don't like it. Oh well..... Maybe we'll get a bunch of players like the Yale guys and you'll be happy. That's all I can tell you. 

And LMAO the elbow was dangerous or harsh..... The elbow that didn't knock the guy down. Didn't even make him stumble...... Good thing he loves thru it 😂. It was touch and go there for a second! Lucky nobody died!

I used two of the four listed keywords in the rule that i felt fit the situation. I assumed you were familiar with it and would pick up on that after all your bravado on knowing the rules better than the rest of us. Guess I'll spell it out for you next time 😂.

19 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

I used two of the four listed keywords in the rule that i felt fit the situation. I assumed you were familiar with it and would pick up on that after all your bravado on knowing the rules better than the rest of us. Guess I'll spell it out for you next time 😂.

Still can't answer any questions huh? Ok we'll pretend we don't see what you do 😂. Don't spell it out, then you might accidentally say it

Keep carrying that grudge. I'm sure CBM will apologize to you

Edited by cole256

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Still can't answer any questions huh? Ok we'll pretend we don't see what you do 😂. Don't spell it out, then you might accidentally say it

Keep carrying that grudge. I'm sure CBM will apologize to you

I dont have a grudge. And I dont need CBM's apology. If I could pick one thing to improve in this whole situation, it would be BP learning better accountability. This all really falls on him. CBM's thug behavior is just an down stream effect from that root cause. But I'm not pretending I have any effect on Auburn. 

2 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

I dont have a grudge. And I dont need CBM's apology. If I could pick one thing to improve in this whole situation, it would be BP learning better accountability. This all really falls on him. CBM's thug behavior is just an down stream effect from that root cause. But I'm not pretending I have any effect on Auburn. 

Imagine that, the thug behavior phrase! How did I predict that without you saying it? I'm just lucky 🍀 

36 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Imagine that, the thug behavior phrase! How did I predict that without you saying it? I'm just lucky 🍀 

Whats wrong with that phrase?

On 3/30/2024 at 11:08 PM, Eagle-2 said:

Bruce should be out beating the bushes looking for him some guards instead of making excuses for undisciplined basketball. 

There’s a reason he was on CBS last Saturday. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, drsteve87 said:

I seem to recall Charles Barkley getting ejected from a game against Kentucky early in his career at AU. It was only minutes into the game at AU. Their player ran down the court in Charles' ear. Sir Charles gave him a forearm in his back that continued the UK player into the stands beyond the baseline. # 34 got ejected and we lost the game. We would've won if he had kept his cool.

Anyone else remember that game? 

Most college bball games weren’t televised in the early 80s so no clue. 

Really enjoyed seeing Caitlyn have that dog in her .... Glad to see she's not letting people take the passion and toughness out of the game. Wonder if our fan base would dislike her ... I'm thinking no. I'm thinking she'd be celebrated. She definitely does the talking, complaining, crying, pushing, elbowing..... But usually the great players do

• Facepalm 1

I'm late to the party I wouldn't go so far as calling CBM "a thug" he's definitely not that lol more of a fake tough guy lol because he's really not intimidating anyone. But I blame BP for that ejection because CBM has been making bone head decisions all season pretty much every flagrant review we had this season involved him doing dumb stuff like bumping people after the whistle I specifically remember a game in the SEC tournament when it was obvious he did something and after the refs reviewed it and called it nothing the cameras panning to him and him sighing and acting like he was wiping sweat from his forehead.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, cole256 said:

Really enjoyed seeing Caitlyn have that dog in her .... Glad to see she's not letting people take the passion and toughness out of the game. Wonder if our fan base would dislike her ... I'm thinking no. I'm thinking she'd be celebrated. She definitely does the talking, complaining, crying, pushing, elbowing..... But usually the great players do

Did she have any technical fouls called on her? No. Get kicked out of a game? No. There's a difference between tough and stupid.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 2

On 4/4/2024 at 8:59 AM, Mikey said:

Did she have any technical fouls called on her? No. Get kicked out of a game? No. There's a difference between tough and stupid.

Oh so it's just like the Yale guy, if you don't get caught it's cool...... Ok. 

Well you shouldn't be mad about the ones CBM that didn't get called either

• Facepalm 1

18 hours ago, cole256 said:

Oh so it's just like the Yale guy, if you don't get caught it's cool...... Ok. 

Well you shouldn't be mad about the ones CBM that didn't get called either

I'm not.

On 4/3/2024 at 12:48 PM, cole256 said:

Most people don't care about that stuff until it costs your team.  That's when the criticism goes from just a few traditionalists muttering to each other about "playing with class" and whatnot to lots of folks sounding off at a louder volume.  If you can push the boundaries a little and get away with it, it's "fire."  If you get tee'd up at a critical moment or ejected in a big game, it's a problem.  You can't let them bait you into hurting your team.  That would be true of Clark as well.

That said some of the reactions to CBM were idiotic and I'm glad Pearl came to his defense.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Most people don't care about that stuff until it costs your team.  That's when the criticism goes from just a few traditionalists muttering to each other about "playing with class" and whatnot to lots of folks sounding off at a louder volume.  If you can push the boundaries a little and get away with it, it's "fire."  If you get tee'd up at a critical moment or ejected in a big game, it's a problem.  You can't let them bait you into hurting your team.  That would be true of Clark as well.

That said some of the reactions to CBM were idiotic and I'm glad Pearl came to his defense.

I always said on my very first post I'm mad that he let them bait him because it was clear as day it was their plan. I was aggravated that the Yale guy stuff that started it was literally right in front of the ref at the same spot..... So how did he miss that? But of course was able to make the call against us......

It just irked me because I'm sure you have seen it, on the board here people ALWAYS have the crying about the refs, and the conspiracy theories, and then finally when there really is a call that can be viewed as to be questionable, that really had a big impact on the game, a majority on here was cool with that. And some, not all, some saying not wanting him on the team...... That's just insane!

But yeah if a guy you haven't ever met is getting chippy with you that early in the game you have to be smart enough to know he's doing it for a reason. I agree with that wholeheartedly.

Edited by cole256
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

I always said on my very first post I'm mad that he let them bait him because it was clear as day it was their plan. I was aggravated that the Yale guy stuff that started it was literally right in front of the ref at the same spot..... So how did he miss that? But of course was able to make the call against us......

It just irked me because I'm sure you have seen it, on the board here people ALWAYS have the crying about the refs, and the conspiracy theories, and then finally when there really is a call that can be viewed as to be questionable, that really had a big impact on the game, a majority on here was cool with that. And some, not all, some saying not wanting him on the team...... That's just insane!

But yeah if a guy you haven't ever met is getting chippy with you that early in the game you have to be smart enough to know he's doing it for a reason. I agree with that wholeheartedly.

Spot on! 

1.  I think CBM 'effed around for several games and eventually found out.

2.  I also don't think the foul was most accurately classified as an F2 (two things can be true at once).

3.  I think BP does bear some of the responsibility for the incident.  Not just CBM but also K.D. Johnson showed evidence of loss of temper or lack of self-control during our last several games and Pearl didn't seem to mind.  I know he says he "likes his player to play with a chip on their shoulder" but there's a way to stoke the competitive fire without losing control and giving the other team gifts like that and he needs to find that way.

4.  All of that said, CBM not being in the game is not why we lost.  We still had chances to win it literally all the way to the buzzer.  It was just one of those things.  It's basketball.  Sometimes you have games like that.

All that said, I like Bruce Pearl and I think some here may have forgotten what Auburn basketball was like before he came here and what it is likely to be like after he leaves.

I also think everybody needs to remember that we still won the SEC tournament this year, which is a rare accomplishment for us.  We've only won three SEC tournaments ever, and two of them under Pearl.  The other was when both Charles Barkley and Chuck Person were at Auburn if I'm not mistaken.

Bottom line, CBM needed to learn a lesson and it's one that BP should have taught him but didn't.  So he learned it the hard way.  

46 minutes ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

1.  I think CBM 'effed around for several games and eventually found out.

2.  I also don't think the foul was most accurately classified as an F2 (two things can be true at once).

3.  I think BP does bear some of the responsibility for the incident.  Not just CBM but also K.D. Johnson showed evidence of loss of temper or lack of self-control during our last several games and Pearl didn't seem to mind.  I know he says he "likes his player to play with a chip on their shoulder" but there's a way to stoke the competitive fire without losing control and giving the other team gifts like that and he needs to find that way.

4.  All of that said, CBM not being in the game is not why we lost.  We still had chances to win it literally all the way to the buzzer.  It was just one of those things.  It's basketball.  Sometimes you have games like that.

All that said, I like Bruce Pearl and I think some here may have forgotten what Auburn basketball was like before he came here and what it is likely to be like after he leaves.

I also think everybody needs to remember that we still won the SEC tournament this year, which is a rare accomplishment for us.  We've only won three SEC tournaments ever, and two of them under Pearl.  The other was when both Charles Barkley and Chuck Person were at Auburn if I'm not mistaken.

Bottom line, CBM needed to learn a lesson and it's one that BP should have taught him but didn't.  So he learned it the hard way.  

At some point we have to move past the what Auburn use to be stuff. Auburn basketball hasn’t been so bad where CBP was the only coach to come in and win games. I recall the Barkley,Daniels, Chris Porter , Chris Morris and Persons brother years to be pretty good IIRC. I know CBP has Auburn on a good run. If u look back there were some serious ballers that played in the SEC back then . Not sure if u have that now.
Auburn will continue to win games even after CBP leaves with a good coach and support from the athletics department .

Edited by e808
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, e808 said:

At some point we have to move past the what Auburn use to be stuff. Auburn basketball hasn’t been so bad where CBP was the only coach to come in and win games. I recall the Barkley,Daniels, Chris Porter , Chris Morris and Persons brother years to be pretty good IIRC. I know CBP has Auburn on a good run. If u look back there were some serious ballers that played in the SEC back then . Not sure if u have that now.
Auburn will continue to win games even after CBP leaves with a good coach and support from the athletics department .

You named them all. Except for the Mengelt days before you were born. Now figure out how many seasons that was, and how many good seasons BP has had to this point, in AU basketball history. Hint.... Shug Jordan was a good basketball coach for a short period of time. And AU did not continue to win games when Ellis, Smith, etc, left. But it's different now and I'm sure we can get several coaches better than we've ever had.

I know. I'm the reason we don't win the NCAA basketball title 4 years in a row. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JuscAUse! said:

You named them all. Except for the Mengelt days before you were born. Now figure out how many seasons that was, and how many good seasons BP has had to this point, in AU basketball history. Hint.... Shug Jordan was a good basketball coach for a short period of time. And AU did not continue to win games when Ellis, Smith, etc, left. But it's different now and I'm sure we can get several coaches better than we've ever had.

I know. I'm the reason we don't win the NCAA basketball title 4 years in a row. 

I'm with you.

I think we need to be grateful for Pearl.

And not just because I think he's a very good basketball coach.  I also just think he's a really, really great fit for Auburn.

I'm kind of an unusual fan in that I really don't care very much at all about winning national championships in football or winning the NCAA tournament in basketball.  I'm old enough to remember '83 in football and how we got screwed out of a national championship that season.  And then screwed out of the chance to play for one in 2004.  We got screwed in basketball in 2019...I firmly believe that if the refs hadn't missed that double dribble in the Final Four game, we would have won the championship...I think we would have matched up very well in that game.

Anyway, we finally won a football championship in 2010.

And that high lasted a week...maybe.

So I kind of regard the championships as a kind of scam.  Not only do they depend on so many outside decisions, some of which are made by criteria that have nothing to do with competition and sport and some of them made by fallible officials, but all of the emphasis on the post-season absolutely kills the enjoyment of the regular season.  Especially in football.

There are over 130 D-1 football teams and over 350 D-1 basketball teams.  Only one of them is going to win the NC/tournament and only a small handful are going to even have a chance to win it.

If you're only happy when you're one of the top 5% football or 2% of basketball programs in the country, the overwhelming probability is that you're going to be perpetually dissatisfied.

I think that advertisers and politicians and the media have realized how to manipulate human beings to keep them in that state, and I think that social media has poured gasoline on that fire. 

I know this isn't the political board, but I think that's what's happened with politics.  The bases of both the left and the right have given in to a  populism that depends upon the perception of perpetual victimhood to work and creates constant paranoia and belief in conspiracies and dissatisfaction.  Consider that despite the fact that we have a society that has more civil rights, more opportunity, less racism, less sexism, more equality of quality of life, more comfort, more leisure time, more freedom, less discrimination and bigotry, and more prosperity than any society in the history of this planet, both political bases are absolutely convinced that we need to tear the system that produced all of these things down if their POTUS candidate loses the next election.

It's irrational.  It's a manipulated psychological state.  As applied to sports it's why fanbases are constantly angry at and wanting to fire their coaches.  It breeds irrational, delusional expectations.

JMO.

Edited by Shoney'sPonyBoy
Typos
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

I'm with you.

I think we need to be grateful for Pearl.

And not just because I think he's a very good basketball coach.  I also just think he's a really, really great fit for Auburn.

I'm kind of an unusual fan in that I really don't care very much at all about winning national championships in football or winning the NCAA tournament in basketball.  I'm old enough to remember '83 in football and how we got screwed out of a national championship that season.  And then screwed out of the chance to play for one in 2004.  We got screwed in basketball in 2019...I firmly believe that if the refs hadn't missed that double dribble in the Final Four game, we would have won the championship...I think we would have matched up very well in that game.

So I kind of regard the championships as a kind of scam.  Not only do they depend on so many outside decisions, some of which are made by criteria that have nothing to do with competition and sport and some of them made by fallible officials, but all of the emphasis on the post-season absolutely kills the enjoyment of the regular season.  Especially in football.

There are over 130 D-1 football teams and over 350 D-1 basketball teams.  Only one of them is going to win the NC/tournament and only a small handful are going to even have a chance to win it.

If you're only happy when you're one of the top 5% football or 2% of basketball programs in the country, the overwhelming probability is that you're going to be perpetually dissatisfied.

I think that advertisers and politicians and the media have realized how to manipulate human beings to keep them in that state, and I think that social media has poured gasoline on that fire. 

I know this isn't the political board, but I think that's what's happened with politics.  The bases of both the left and the right have given in to a  populism that depends upon the perception of perpetual victimhood to work and creates constant paranoia and belief in conspiracies and dissatisfaction.  Consider that despite the fact that we have a society that has more civil rights, more opportunity, less racism, less sexism, more equality of quality of life, more comfort, more leisure time, more freedom, less discrimination and bigotry, and more prosperity than any society in the history of this planet, both political bases are absolutely convinced that we need to tear the system that produced all of these things down if their POTUS candidate loses the next election.

It's irrational.  It's a manipulated psychological state.  As applied to sports it's why fanbases are constantly angry at and wanting to fire their coaches.  It breeds irrational, delusional expectations.

JMO.

I'm not sure I agree with 💯 of that, but the sports part is spot on. I do want to get back to the days where we are feared and nobody looks forward to playing us. In both sports. 

I think the concept is pretty easy. With more pay , more resources , comes more responsibility. I feel like our fans try to rationalize away a lot of things , while also having hatred for the other side because of their success.

• Like 2

This fan doesn't hate anyone or any team. Not even uat.

Oh wait. I forgot about Virginia basketball.......

Nevermind......

• Haha 1

On 4/9/2024 at 9:06 PM, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

100% my reaction to 2010. It made me realize all the gnashing of teeth and hand wringing over what some teenagers and early-20-somethings did on a court/field was a literal waste of brain time.  Now I enjoy it for a couple hours after an AU win and I just walk away from any losses.  I really could not care less what bama does in any sport except for one important thing: when bama loses it just brings peace and quiet for a little while.  If you get worked up over what a coach/player says or does then you need to step away and spend some time with the people you love and the people that love you.  Even worse is getting worked up over what a complete stranger on a forum says, but that's a different thread.  To be honest, it took me a lot longer than I would like to admit to arrive at this spot.

Edited by keeperoftheplains
  • Like 2