Will Butch be retained after this season?

15 hours ago, TripleDegreeTiger said:

He's trolling. Not getting the type of reactions he wants out of the Political forums and is hunting elsewhere.

Good one.   I’ll have to remember that one.   Who’s the troll?  Sounds like I got a secret admirer 

10 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Good one.   I’ll have to remember that one.   Who’s the troll?  Sounds like I got a secret admirer 

Not referring to you btw, in case you thought that.

1 hour ago, TripleDegreeTiger said:

Not referring to you btw, in case you thought that.

I know who you're talking about.

I think he will be retained for the 2025 season. I all teams have a bad season from time to time. You can't judge a coach on one bad season. Look at all the good butch has done for the program. 

• Like 3

On 5/6/2024 at 12:34 PM, autigeremt said:

Butch deserves a shot at redemption. End of story. 

Gene Chizik won a national championship and didn’t get a shot at redemption. Why should Butch? Never finished higher than 3rd in the west. 

On 5/6/2024 at 8:09 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

No lottery money for scholarships, not enough NIL,This is what you will get with any Auburn baseball coach.

I watched a few of our games we are just one really strong starter and a couple of bounces to being a solid middle of the pack SEC team. The old Gonzo would have made a huge difference.

We don't have enough depth because of what I mentioned above. One thing is even in the games we lost the effort was there.

What top coach would want to come to Auburn knowing his hands are tied when recruiting.

Butch has consistently landed strong recruiting classes. Our current class is 7th by some services. That’s how he’s gotten us to the CWS twice and Super Regionals.  We need better pitcher development and more emphasis on strength and size in my opinion. 

10 hours ago, Big Fat Barner said:

Gene Chizik won a national championship and didn’t get a shot at redemption. Why should Butch? Never finished higher than 3rd in the west. 

Who you gonna get that can get us to Omaha? Please tell me? 

Can we please delete this ridiculous thread? This is embarrassing. We clearly need a new pitching coach. That’s the problem.

• Like 3

On 5/5/2024 at 11:11 AM, Mikey said:

Butch has had AU in two of the last four college world series. That's the final eight. That's better than Bruce Pearl has done. Pearl's team had a losing record in the '20/'21 season. Are y'all ready to fire Pearl?

The answer is a firm NO. Thompson's record at AU is far above mediocre. You don't get rid of an outstanding coach for one unfortunate season.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There is no chance whatsoever that our AD will fire Butch Thompson.  That is a good thing.  He will likely ask what he can do to help him get back to the standard Butch himself has set.

58 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Geeze, I did not suffer through the pain of the Slater/Pawlowski/Golloway years for some bandwagon fans who watched two innings of the 2019 CWS to spew this nonsense lolll.  

Yes, please get rid of the man who owns 3 Regional Championships and 2 CWS appearances in the last 6 years and hire a TRUE WINNER who can return Auburn baseball back to the glory days of...of...?

Fire the pitching coach.  Keep recruiting at a high level.  Enjoy the new facilities that the administration drug their feet around approving for a decade.  

The sky is not falling.  This year sucked.  They went 1-8 in conference games decided by 1 run with the 4th toughest schedule in the nation.  You don't burn down the house because your wife spilled red wine on the carpet.  

Well said

2 hours ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Geeze, I did not suffer through the pain of the Slater/Pawlowski/Golloway years for some bandwagon fans who watched two innings of the 2019 CWS to spew this nonsense lolll.  

Yes, please get rid of the man who owns 3 Regional Championships and 2 CWS appearances in the last 6 years and hire a TRUE WINNER who can return Auburn baseball back to the glory days of...of...?

Fire the pitching coach.  Keep recruiting at a high level.  Enjoy the new facilities that the administration drug their feet around approving for a decade.  

The sky is not falling.  This year sucked.  They went 1-8 in conference games decided by 1 run with the 4th toughest schedule in the nation.  You don't burn down the house because your wife spilled red wine on the carpet.  

What about if it is a white carpet?

Just kidding I couldn't agree with you more.

22 hours ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Anybody remember @nightranger44?  I was convinced it was Pawlowski's brother.

You could really add Renfroe to that list as well. 

Cohen's not stupid, knows what he has.....

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Anybody remember @nightranger44?  I was convinced it was Pawlowski's brother.

Yep, remember him well. Brother, son, wife, something like that. That poster was nutz!

Would be nice if we could get Butch to lose that part of the brain that loves to bunt and give up a free out especially in the early innings

59 minutes ago, difball said:

Would be nice if we could get Butch to lose that part of the brain that loves to bunt and give up a free out especially in the early innings

He has been much more bunt friendly this year. No bunting tonight. Up 12-2 over Bammer!

On 5/5/2024 at 7:30 PM, SaltyTiger said:

First time on the baseball forum you. Seizing opportunity? Do you even how many outs in an inning.

Six.  

• Haha 1

Depends on what quarter we are in. 

On 5/5/2024 at 10:44 AM, arktiger1975 said:

He told me that if the MSU job came open, he wouldn't mind having Butch as an assistant, but would NOT want him as head coach. 

When Cohen was AD at State, he tried to hire Butch away from us.   Butch isn't the reason our season was what is was. 

• Like 2

I had dinner Tuesday with a TUF employee to talk about baseball.   Maybe this is posted on here somewhere, but during the Bama series, Butch became aware that OTV was not giving baseball any of the non-earmarked NIL SSSS.   Before that series, many of us, including Butch, were under the impression that a formula was used to distribute non-earmarked NIL donations and baseball received a % of such funds.   I think it was Saturday that Butch was told that baseball only received baseball only donations, and he went on to get tossed from the game that day.   The upshot is that this has now been rectified.   In 2026, when revenue sharing kicks in, baseball will finally be on a level playing field.    Until then, baseball needs about a half a million in NIL to field a competitive team in 25.  If you can give a little, please do.    And, just in case, earmark your donation for baseball.   

• Thanks 1

i am pretty sure there were a lot of injuries this year. it messed things up from what i remember. i see so many articles i get stuff confused.

32 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i am pretty sure there were a lot of injuries this year. it messed things up from what i remember. i see so many articles i get stuff confused.

We bet big on Gonzales 2 years in a row, and it turned out to be a bad bet.   We will not make that mistake again.   If he were healthy, he alone could have accounted for 5-7 SEC wins, and it would have taken pressure and innings off the entire pen.  Our best hitter, Ike Irish, suffered a hand injury that really set him back.   Poor Bobby Pierce couldn't stay healthy his entire career.  

• Like 1

On 5/25/2024 at 5:30 PM, LPTiger said:

I had dinner Tuesday with a TUF employee to talk about baseball.   Maybe this is posted on here somewhere, but during the Bama series, Butch became aware that OTV was not giving baseball any of the non-earmarked NIL SSSS.   Before that series, many of us, including Butch, were under the impression that a formula was used to distribute non-earmarked NIL donations and baseball received a % of such funds.   I think it was Saturday that Butch was told that baseball only received baseball only donations, and he went on to get tossed from the game that day.   The upshot is that this has now been rectified.   In 2026, when revenue sharing kicks in, baseball will finally be on a level playing field.    Until then, baseball needs about a half a million in NIL to field a competitive team in 25.  If you can give a little, please do.    And, just in case, earmark your donation for baseball.   

My first thought is that there is some serious over paying underway.  I don't disagree with anything you said and I will be making a contribution earmarked for baseball, but paying players more in NIL than they would ever make playing in the minors, in addition to providing them with all of the other benefits that come with being a student athlete at a major university seems to be a fools errand at the end of the day.  We have allowed this all to come to fruition, so I guess all we can do is hold on tight and hope for a soft landing.

10 hours ago, AU9377 said:

My first thought is that there is some serious over paying underway.  I don't disagree with anything you said and I will be making a contribution earmarked for baseball, but paying players more in NIL than they would ever make playing in the minors, in addition to providing them with all of the other benefits that come with being a student athlete at a major university seems to be a fools errand at the end of the day.  We have allowed this all to come to fruition, so I guess all we can do is hold on tight and hope for a soft landing.

When you say, “all the other benefits “, you show that maybe you don’t understand the scholarship situation with baseball. Most of these guys are on partial scholarship as the NCAA only allows 11.7 scholarships per team. So many of these guys are still trying to find money to finish out their cost each semester. 
With NIL, the cost of an education can now become fully paid. 

The NCAA needs to loosen up the reigns on baseball. Allow more scholarships and allow more paid coaches.