Early poll...win/loss predictions

Posted (edited)

College Football to early poll...article - https://www.yahoo.com/sports/college-football-way-too-early-104650398.html

Just thought I would post this and say I hope that this is the year we can actually look like we are making progress at returning to where we are at least in the conversation. But lets get on record what YOU think our record will be at the end of the year...

My prediction will be 7-5, I am just hoping we can compete and close out some close games this year and actually look like we are making progress and that goes for the coaches also...especially for the coaching which I thought was not done well last year at all IMHO, thats just my opinion...

Whats your prediction...

Edited by bishoptf

• bishoptf changed the title to College Football to early poll...article and AU win/loss predictions...

I'll be disappointed with less than 8-4. Last year's team would have been 7-5 without the inexplicable loss to New Mexico State. I think to show any improvement the 2024 team will have to be a minimum of 8-4.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'll be disappointed with less than 8-4. Last year's team would have been 7-5 without the inexplicable loss to New Mexico State. I think to show any improvement the 2024 team will have to be a minimum of 8-4.

I too was going to say 8-4 but given how we looked last year for some games, honestly I am not sure what we are going to look like this year, hoping its better than what we saw last year.

Edited by bishoptf
  • Like 2

I think we plugged holes and will be much better (of course I always think that).   I think we will win a big game we are not supposed to win and we will go 9-3.

• Like 4

I am going for some improvement 8-4.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

I agree! and i expect us to beat one team maybe we are not supposed to. we need that magic again............

6 hours ago, bishoptf said:

My prediction will be 7-5, I am just hoping we can compete and close out some close games this year and actually look like we are making progress and that goes for the coaches also...especially for the coaching which I thought was not done well last year at all IMHO, thats just my opinion...

Whats your prediction...

Assuming No upgrade at the most important position on the field.(big assumption)  He Could improve. He could take a step back. again.  7-5.

• WarTiger changed the title to Early poll...win/loss predictions
On 5/8/2024 at 10:26 AM, Mikey said:

No that NMSU loss was a straight ass whooping, the 7th win should’ve been against Bama

But tbh I think Auburn goes about 7-5 too. Thorne just isn’t a good QB even with better weapons I just don’t see it. He struggled in 6 straight games to throw for a measly 100 yards 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I’ll default to 7-5 for now. It’s just frustrating that nowadays QB can override all other positions, since everywhere else would set up quite nicely for 9-3. -.-

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

No that NMSU loss was a straight ass whooping, the 7th win should’ve been against Bama

But tbh I think Auburn goes about 7-5 too. Thorne just isn’t a good QB even with better weapons I just don’t see it. He struggled in 6 straight games to throw for a measly 100 yards 

Yes…just one legitimate defensive play call at end of Bama game would have tempered a lot of bad “everything” from NMSU fiasco. Oh well…

• Like 3

Improved OL?
Improved receiving corps?
Solid RB group?
Amazing placekicking!
Improved gameday play calling?
The Thorne surrounded by upgrades everywhere

I actually see the possibility of 9-3. On paper. With smokes. And with mirrors. And with inappropriate cheerleader inspiration. And of course with no important injuries. Could it turn out better than that? Wow, I hope! Could it turn out worse than that? Well, I hope not.

Everyone thinks I'm some sort of negga-nellie, but I am truly RAH-RAH War Damn Eagle, gimme some CHF magic!

• Like 3

Fair to expect 8 wins at this point. I think we get 7. 

• Like 1

I’m thinking 7-5 as well. If we have more New Mexico State type games, could just match last year’s record.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 10:15 AM, bishoptf said:

College Football to early poll...article - https://www.yahoo.com/sports/college-football-way-too-early-104650398.html

Just thought I would post this and say I hope that this is the year we can actually look like we are making progress at returning to where we are at least in the conversation. But lets get on record what YOU think our record will be at the end of the year...

Whats your prediction...

I remain at 7-5 too, but there will be incredible expectations of something better. Maybe, we can expect some excitement on offense. That might be the next step. 

Edited by Auburn93
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Sec just got better by a large margin with Texas and Oklahoma.

Auburn is in a difficult situation. We were way behind before and possibly even more now. Freeze is up against the wall to perform. Hope he can deliver a team that wins 7 which is not much of an improvement but holding steady. Beat Oklahoma and the season looks promising. If we see the same confusion and garbage as last year , AD Cohen needs to start compiling a list.

Edited by TigerOne

21 hours ago, cbo said:

Fair to expect 8 wins at this point. I think we get 7. 

I could totally buy into this.

Until we get legitimate QB play, we will continue to underwhelm and be unpredictable.

• Like 2

7 wins in 2024.

Even 2025 wont be our year, 9 wins realistic. But 2026, boom!!!

This assumes patience/coach-player price tag admin/fan rage issues don't set us back after a sub par 2024 and avg 2025.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, TigerOne said:

Auburn is in a difficult situation. We were way behind before and possibly even more now. Freeze is up against the wall to perform. Hope he can deliver a team that wins 7 which is not much of an improvement but holding steady. Beat Oklahoma and the season looks promising. If we see the same confusion and garbage as last year , AD Cohen needs to start compiling a list.

You want to start over in recruiting after two years? No thank you. I think people can forget about compiling lists these days. Fire your coach and all the kids transfer out. Also, there are no great coaches to compile lists on. Those days are over. 

Edited by Auburn93
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, TigerOne said:

I agree. We had at least two losses last year that were unacceptable and one was against Bama. No excuse for giving up a 4th and 31. I see 7/5 and hopefully a better bowl showing to get to 8 wins. I believe PT should be better, but that’s still a big question mark. WR room appears stacked and OL should be at least as good as last year if not better. Schedule appears tougher with OK and Mizzou, but I think if we get one of those and steal another one we aren’t supposed to, we could see 8 wins in regular season. HF will get at least 3 years, but year 2 needs to show vast improvement over last year, otherwise I don’t think he’s the right HC for us, head recruiter maybe, but not HC. 

• Like 2

Outside of recruiting some high school players CHF failed last year. I’ve never been more disinterested in Auburn football before last season. Whether realistic expectations or not 7 wins with “his guys” is in my view is another failed season. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

99% of our problems the last several years have been poor offensive line talent and play. It is why our red zone performance has been so poor the last several years. In the red zone, a defense can rush more against the pass because the field is not as deep, and it is easier to run man for man pass defenses in the red zone. I am hoping the OL will be better, giving QBs more time to make throws, less intentional throw-aways to avoid sacks, etc. Also, the WR room is much improved, so we should have a capable passing game. If that happens, we will not face a loaded box as much as we have in the past, which should improve our red zone performance.

To put this into perspective, consider the Iron Bowl in 2021. Our pass rush with Derick Hall and Eku Leota almost won that game for us because for the first time in a decade Bama did not have a top offensive line. Same reason Michigan was able to blow up that last play in the CFP. I think the key to success on offense is to have a top offensive line. And on defense, you need two stand-outs on the defensive front four.

That said, we did not see this happen in the A-Day game, but A--Day is such a sterile scrimmage now I do not know how useful it is.

• Thanks 2

Until I am given results that show me I should give the benefit of doubt, I am going to say 6-6.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

99% of our problems the last several years have been poor offensive line talent and play. It is why our red zone performance has been so poor the last several years. In the red zone, a defense can rush more against the pass because the field is not as deep, and it is easier to run man for man pass defenses in the red zone. I am hoping the OL will be better, giving QBs more time to make throws, less intentional throw-aways to avoid sacks, etc. Also, the WR room is much improved, so we should have a capable passing game. If that happens, we will not face a loaded box as much as we have in the past, which should improve our red zone performance.

To put this into perspective, consider the Iron Bowl in 2021. Our pass rush with Derick Hall and Eku Leota almost won that game for us because for the first time in a decade Bama did not have a top offensive line. Same reason Michigan was able to blow up that last play in the CFP. I think the key to success on offense is to have a top offensive line. And on defense, you need two stand-outs on the defensive front four.

That said, we did not see this happen in the A-Day game, but A--Day is such a sterile scrimmage now I do not know how useful it is.

Be sure to leave your prediction.

21 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I could totally buy into this.

Until we get legitimate QB play, we will continue to underwhelm and be unpredictable.

That's exactly it. 

• Like 1

Well, thing is, QB problems last year were largely due to (1) crappy OL and (2) crappy WR. Personally, I think The Thorne is better than his stats and better than he seemed. Same as the s**t Bo had to endure at Auburn. But with a decent OL and some decent receivers and some decent coaching - well look what happened with Bo at Oregon.

Of course, I do not know that The Thorne is in the same elite league as Bo. But I do think he can do a lot better with decent offensive players around him. Coleman and the other WRs are going to be a force. If the OL this year is worth a crap, I', sayin' look out.

The big concern is the DL. IMO, the DL will determine Auburn's W-L record for the year. If they are bust-azzz good, Auburn goes 9-3. If they suck donkey balls, Auburn goes 7-5. If CHF is running the same O and calling the same plays as he did a decade ago, Auburn is in deep doooooodoooooo.

I am really trying top be optimistic. I really hope our Tigers make a big step forward this coming season.