The Decatur Daily has front page article

Ranger12

Hi, my name is Jason Bartlett, and I am a giant douche!

190870[/snapback]

haha, or a turd sandwich

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Scalping should legal everywhere.

In a free country: If I buy something it's mine. If it's mine I can sell it.

If you don't like this, don't sell or buy from scalpers. Calling for guys

with guns to prohibit private transactions between other consenting

adults is wrong.

190914[/snapback]

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! Yes it is a free country, but that does not give you the right to take advantage of others. Did you read the article? The guy admits that he does it because the "rich" can afford his prices. It ain't about choosing to buy from him or not, it is about not being able to afford his prices and not being able to go to the game because this moron is buying up all the tickets so that nobody can buy them at face value! The common man has no chance to buy tickets period because the broker scums like this buy them all up and then jack up the prices.

As a gun owner, your analogy makes not since because there is not a problem with "gun scalping" as far as any group buying up most of the guns and controlling the prices. Unloading a couple of tickets that you are not going to be able to use and make a little money is one thing, but to make a living out of it and not even going to the games yourself, well that is another. That goes beyond two regular guys making a transaction amongst themselves. Going by your philosphy, I guess it would not bother you if gas prices keep going up. It's a free country isn't it? :poke:

BTW..."if it is yours, why can't you sell it" is a flawed analogy also. Technically, you are supposed to pay taxes on anything you sell. The more you sell it for, the more taxes you have to pay. The SEC and FTC also regulates price gouging. If they would do their job, they could even regulate these brokers profit percentage if citizens pushed hard enough. They can do this because the brokers are buying up the majority of tickets and almost monopolizing the market. So it is not such a free country for buying and selling as you may think. Just that most "private" sells go under the radar because the sale was not made at Wal-Mart. :lol:

adults is wrong.

190914[/snapback]

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! Yes it is a free country, but that does not give you the right to take advantage of others. Did you read the article? The guy admits that he does it because the "rich" can afford his prices. It ain't about choosing to buy from him or not, it is about not being able to afford his prices and not being able to go to the game because this moron is buying up all the tickets so that nobody can buy them at face value! The common man has no chance to buy tickets period because the broker scums like this buy them all up and then jack up the prices.

As a gun owner, your analogy makes not since because there is not a problem with "gun scalping" as far as any group buying up most of the guns and controlling the prices. Unloading a couple of tickets that you are not going to be able to use and make a little money is one thing, but to make a living out of it and not even going to the games yourself, well that is another. That goes beyond two regular guys making a transaction amongst themselves. Going by your philosphy, I guess it would not bother you if gas prices keep going up. It's a free country isn't it? :poke:

BTW..."if it is yours, why can't you sell it" is a flawed analogy also. Technically, you are supposed to pay taxes on anything you sell. The more you sell it for, the more taxes you have to pay. The SEC and FTC also regulates price gouging. If they would do their job, they could even regulate these brokers profit percentage if citizens pushed hard enough. They can do this because the brokers are buying up the majority of tickets and almost monopolizing the market. So it is not such a free country for buying and selling as you may think. Just that most "private" sells go under the radar because the sale was not made at Wal-Mart. :lol:

190923[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more, ranger.

The Executive Editor e-mailed me back again. He said that if they were pimping for the guy they would have given his contact info. I quickly pointed out he gave out the guys name, his wife's name, and where they live and that is all you need these days to find a guy's phone number. I went to whitepages.com, found the guys name, address, and phone number and copied it to the e-mail. What was funny was that the search result came up with "Bartlett, Jason and Tonya", so there is no doubting that is the correct phone number. I wonder what his rebuttal will be this time, if he decides to keep on making excuses.

Just to add to Ranger's superb rebuttal:

This isn't a matter of capitalism. It isnt a matter of supply and demand. Because the supply isn't offered at market 'fair' value for everyone. The guy is privlidged because he has 'the hook up' and gets to buy huge blocks (thousands if he wants) of seats from the university. (auburn and alabama both do this)

UA doesnt limit the amount of season tickets these brokers buy. Better still, they dont make them pay the extra 'fee' that us laypeople have to pay in ADDITION to the season ticket face value price. (example:50 yd line seats 30 rows up costs over 1,000 bucks PLUS the value of the tickets)

So my only option is to buy the 'extras' off of a local fan who isnt going to use them. But now, i cant even do that. This asshat buys these extras MASQUERADING as a fan (i know many fans who wont sell extras to a scalper for a profit) and turns around and sells them for a huge profit.

Under normal circumstances, without his deceitful tactics, he probably wouldnt be able to scalp those tickets ...and i could buy them for a reasonable price. But no, he takes his untaxed bankroll and scoops em up.

And thanks to toolbags like this guy, there is like a 3 year waitlist for decent season ticket seats in BDS. All the good seats are bought up by these brokers so the REAL fans get to be happy to get their upper deck season tickets.

If this guy was buying and reselling stock in the same manner, he would be in jail. After an IPO, if fair 'market' price is whatever the stock is going for on the open market...it would be unlawful for him to be able to buy a bunch of stock for 1/10th of the price and subsequently short the market of supply...which in turn drives the price of his own (already more cheaply attained) shares...and sell them for 4x what he paid for them.

Just to add to Ranger's superb rebuttal:

This isn't a matter of capitalism. It isnt a matter of supply and demand. Because the supply isn't offered at market 'fair' value for everyone. The guy is privlidged because he has 'the hook up' and gets to buy huge blocks (thousands if he wants) of seats from the university. (auburn and alabama both do this)

UA doesnt limit the amount of season tickets these brokers buy. Better still, they dont make them pay the extra 'fee' that us laypeople have to pay in ADDITION to the season ticket face value price. (example:50 yd line seats 30 rows up costs over 1,000 bucks PLUS the value of the tickets)

So my only option is to buy the 'extras' off of a local fan who isnt going to use them. But now, i cant even do that. This asshat buys these extras MASQUERADING as a fan (i know many fans who wont sell extras to a scalper for a profit) and turns around and sells them for a huge profit.

Under normal circumstances, without his deceitful tactics, he probably wouldnt be able to scalp those tickets ...and i could buy them for a reasonable price. But no, he takes his untaxed bankroll and scoops em up.

And thanks to toolbags like this guy, there is like a 3 year waitlist for decent season ticket seats in BDS. All the good seats are bought up by these brokers so the REAL fans get to be happy to get their upper deck season tickets.

If this guy was buying and reselling stock in the same manner, he would be in jail. After an IPO, if fair 'market' price is whatever the stock is going for on the open market...it would be unlawful for him to be able to buy a bunch of stock for 1/10th of the price and subsequently short the market of supply...which in turn drives the price of his own (already more cheaply attained) shares...and sell them for 4x what he paid for them.

190959[/snapback]

Yeah, that was what I was trying to say! :lol:

I can't stand scalpers. I used to work at a music store that sold concert tickets and these guys would always get there first by paying people to stand in line for them and things of that nature. Then they would buy the max tickets and immediatly turn around and start charging double while walking by people in the line.

Course now a days everything is going to corporations with decent seats be it athletic events or concert tickets or what not.

My mom was telling me that there are ticket agencies in Chicago atm that require a $1500 downpayment for Series tickets.

adults is wrong.

190914[/snapback]

Same reason why the government breaks up monopolies and

or why gas stations can't charge us $10 a gallon (yet).

Its unfair to the general public. Fairly simple concept really.

"Of course, we named him after Alabama's quarterback, Brodie Croyle," he said. "Tonya just wanted to be different with the spelling.""

Before the editor corrected this it read:

Yea boy, we named him after da Bammer's quarterback, Brodie Croyle," he said. "Tonya Sue just wanted to be's different with the spelling." Nah I'm just kidden ya, we really didn't knows how to spell it while we were at da hospital, Didn't find out to aftererds that we had done spellted it wrong. So now we juss tell people we wanted to be different.

:iamwithstupid:

1) Its the Decatur Fishrap, who cares?

2) Naming his kid that is sssooo silly. Half the kids in Tennesse are named Peyton now.

3) Scalping Tickets is just lowdown. I know it is fair but it does drive the ticket prices up so high.... :angry:

ticketpimp2.jpg

From ITAT...

Why is scalping legal? Can we not pressure any representatives to change this law? These losers make their annual salary by not even providing a service. They do NOTHING to help society. If they didnt buy the blocks of seats, more people could get them at face value. If there are 85,000 fans willing to buy tickets, theyll find em...they dont need some toolbag standing on the corner selling em for 4x face value.

190884[/snapback]

Well it is in Louisiana, I have seen people get arrested for it down here.

I did pay $500 for a National Championship game ticket two years ago outside the Super Dome and thought I was getting a bargain!!! Best $500 I have ever spent.... :lol::D:D

in response to bg's thoughts. I am no fan of scalpers, so i do what any free market advocate would do, i dont buy from them, nor sell to them. Having said that, looking closely at BG's post, isn't his real beef with the UA people for selling all these tickets to scalpers, as he alleges, in the first place? I thought everyone had to put up mega bucks to buy tickets. Secondly, why not get a little info from some of the lowlifes, and have some IRS people follow a money trail or two for tax evasion. But don't blame some individual for selling tickets to someone else that wnats them more than he does. I stand firmly on the point that if i have bought something legally and legitimately, its mine to do with as i please.

adults is wrong.

190914[/snapback]

AUSTIN TIGER I AM WITH YOU! THE LESS GOVERNMENT IN MY LIFE THE BETTER. I DO NOT NEED A BURCRATE TO TELL ME IF I AM PAYING TOO MUCH FOR A FOOTBALL TICKET! IF I DO NOT LIKE HIS PRICE I MOVE ON TO THE NEXT GUY!

I have never been so disappointed in this board to read some of the comments about people wanting anti-scalping laws. An anti-scalping law, “price gouging” laws makes resources less availably NOT more available. I would understand if it were Tiger Al making this comments not everybody else.

Why is scalping legal? Can we not pressure any representatives to change this law? These losers make their annual salary by not even providing a service. They do NOTHING to help society. If they didnt buy the blocks of seats, more people could get them at face value. If there are 85,000 fans willing to buy tickets, theyll find em...they dont need some toolbag standing on the corner selling em for 4x face value.

190884[/snapback]

Well it is in Louisiana, I have seen people get arrested for it down here.

191016[/snapback]

There are the people with guns Austin Tiger was talking about.

I just know that I took my wife down to Auburn several years ago to the Bama game on a wild hair without tickets and thinking we'd go out on a limb for once and buy 'em from scalpers (figuring to get burnt).

But after walking around campus for a while, a guy comes up behind me all out of breath in his AU gear, says "War Eagle" to which I respond "War Eagle" and says he has two for sale. I said OK...how much and he said $50 for each (I was expecting to pay twice that)...and I eagerly said "OK...deal"...these were 25 yard line tickets as well about row 30.

He smiled and said he had chased me down for two blocks trying to sell them to me...he wanted to be sure they went to a couple of true Auburn fans and getting more true fellow AU people in the stands was worth more than the profit he coulda gotten by Bama fans offering much more for them.

190999[/snapback]

Shoot, I care David. I was apparently stupid enough to subscribe to a paper that believes that putting a guy like this on the front page was a good thing. That picture was from ITAT? How funny that this story is making its way to other boards. It was on WUMP yesterday also. Somebody called in about it. BTW...Mark Edwards, the sports editor, e-mailed me from his private home e-mail account and he is not too happy with the article either. He claims he did not even know about it until he read the paper. Apparently others are e-mailing him and calling to complain. He told me that if he would have known about the story, he would have suggested against it also.

As for those saying that it is none of the government's business. I guess you guys don't care if the government regulates the prices of anything at all do you? Heck, let's just all start paying $10 a gallon in gas! Going by that philosophy, that is apparently what you believe. Again, this is about more then just one guy. He is just an example of the many brokers out there that are able to buy up bundles of tickets and seel them at an unfair market value. As BG3 pointed out, this is illegal in most markets. The brokers are almost monopolozing the ticket market and that we all not that monopolies are illegal. This guy may be selling mostly UA tickets, but to me he represents all the brokers out there that buy up all the big draw event tickets. It is not just UA and AU tickets that these guys buy up, but also Tennesse Titans tickets are chewed up by these guys. In the last few years, it has been very hard to get Titans tickets for a decent price. I am not for big government, but the government also has to regulate some part of our commerce for stability's sake. I have to wonder that those of you against anti-scalping are actually the ones that type of law will effect. It only makes sense to me because if you were just a regular ticket buying fan, why would you complain about a law that would make it cheaper to buy tickets? Yes, you can get lucky sometimes and find tickets at face value on game day. But, in my past experiences, the large majority of time, that is not going to happen. I can't afford to drive from Decatur to Auburn on a chance that I may get a good price for tickets. I need to have those tickets in hand before I pack up the family and head south. Heck, remember this guy said he would rather eat the tickets then sell them cheap. Unfortunately, that is the feelings of most of these brokers. Selfishness and greed.

This story was the big front page article in The Decatur Daily. This is the type of jerk that buys up all the tickets and sells them for way too much so regular folk can't get in the games. He is mostly a bammer and does UAT games, but for the Decatur Daily to be basically "pimping" for this type of scum is ridiculous. I guess they forget that scalping is actually illegal. This was just many of a long line of idiotic things this paper had done, but this was the "straw". Front page! I canceled my subscription. I also left a message to the Publisher and most of the editors.

Please take the time to read the article. It will make you mad. He basically calls AU people "cheap" and also calls middle class people "poor" and that is why they can't buy his tickets.

Ticket Hustler

E-mail addresses in case you are just as pissed as I am.

Editor-Publisher..Barret C. Shelton 256-340-2400 (no e-mail)

Executive Editor...Tom Wright twright@decaturdaily.com

Managing Editor...Scott Morris smorris@decaturdaily.com

Sports Editor...Mark Edwards medwards@decaturdaily.com

190857[/snapback]

Shelton's email address: bshelton@decaturdaily.com

He smiled and said he had chased me down for two blocks trying to sell them to me...he wanted to be sure they went to a couple of true Auburn fans and getting more true fellow AU people in the stands was worth more than the profit he coulda gotten by Bama fans offering much more for them.

191025[/snapback]

As a good friend of mine would say, 'that makes my heart smile'.

It's Great to BE...an Auburn Tiger!!!!!!!!!

BEAT the **** outta :lsu: !

Having said that, looking closely at BG's post, isn't his real beef with the UA people for selling all these tickets to scalpers, as he alleges, in the first place?

You are right...that is a huge part of my beef.

191025[/snapback]

As a good friend of mine would say, 'that makes my heart smile'.

It's Great to BE...an Auburn Tiger!!!!!!!!!

BEAT the **** outta :lsu: !

191055[/snapback]

I have never and will never buy or sell tickets from or to a scalper. I have even GIVEN extra tickets to a family with small kids. I didn't care about the money, but I wasn't going to try to make $10 or $20 selling to a scalper for him to sell them to the same family for $30 or $40. I am not going to do that to AU folks!!

I am sure the IRS would love to talk to this guy. I am sure he reports all his income. Didn't he state that he makes more in 4 months than he did previously in a years work? Should be easy to confirm

2) Naming his kid that is sssooo silly. Half the kids in Tennesse are named Peyton now.

3) Scalping Tickets is just lowdown. I know it is fair but it does drive the ticket prices up so high.... :angry:

ticketpimp2.jpg

From ITAT...

190999[/snapback]

Nice sig David. Is that a, "Before" and "After" release of the article, photo??? The IRS is going to love this guy. :cheer:

Archived