Where do we go from here?

PowerI

I said before the LSU game that we should win atleast 1 of the big games and take care of the teams that we are supposed to beat. Even though we have improved from the Georgia Tech game, I still see some areas of concern. The kicking game has got to get better. When we get inside of the redzone, that should be points, whether it's 7 or 3. It's gotten to where we can't rely on our kicker to get us points in the redzone.

The biggest area of concern is the defense. We should be doing alot better. Unlike the offense, you can't use the excuse that we are young and inexperienced on defense. We have tons of depth and alot of experience, but we put no pressure on the quarterback and leave receivers wide open. What's the deal?

If we do not win atleast 1 of the last two and can't take care of the teams that we are supposed to beat, then Tuberville needs to make some changes. I'm not saying that he needs to be fired, but he needs to make some changes on the coaching staff. Right now, I do not have any confidence in David Gibbs. If things don't get better, and we don't do the things that we should, it might be a good idea to let him go at the end of the season.

Also, somebody needs to be hired to handle special teams alone. Eddie Gran needs to be with the runningbacks and offense alone.

I said before the LSU game that we should win atleast 1 of the big games and take care of the teams that we are supposed to beat.  Even though we have improved from the Georgia Tech game, I still see some areas of concern.  The kicking game has got to get better.  When we get inside of the redzone, that should be points, whether it's 7 or 3.  It's gotten to where we can't rely on our kicker to get us points in the redzone.

Agreed.

The biggest area of concern is the defense. We should be doing alot better.  Unlike the offense, you can't use the excuse that we are young and inexperienced on defense.  We have tons of depth and alot of experience, but we put no pressure on the quarterback and leave receivers wide open.  What's the deal?

This is where I'm scratching my head. No one has scored more than 23 pts on us the whole year and that was the first game, with the offense turning the ball over deep in our own territory twice. We just held a very talented offensive team to 10 pts. I don't understand this gripe at all.

If we do not win atleast 1 of the last two and can't take care of the teams that we are supposed to beat, then Tuberville needs to make some changes.  I'm not saying that he needs to be fired, but he needs to make some changes on the coaching staff.  Right now, I do not have any confidence in David Gibbs.  If things don't get better, and we don't do the things that we should, it might be a good idea to let him go at the end of the season.

You're officially on crack. We have a new corner and a new safety yet we're still a very good defense adjusting to a slightly different coaching style. I don't see how you can say that Gibbs should be let go with a straight face based on what we've seen so far.

Also, somebody needs to be hired to handle special teams alone.  Eddie Gran needs to be with the runningbacks and offense alone.

191958[/snapback]

Agreed. We need someone who really understands how to coach this area, not someone's add-on responsibility.

Guest Tigrinum Major

The biggest area of concern is the defense. We should be doing alot better.  Unlike the offense, you can't use the excuse that we are young and inexperienced on defense.  We have tons of depth and alot of experience, but we put no pressure on the quarterback and leave receivers wide open.  What's the deal?

191958[/snapback]

How can you sit there and type that, man? We gave up 10 points on D. 10 points, on the road, against a good team.

Also, somebody needs to be hired to handle special teams alone.  Eddie Gran needs to be with the runningbacks and offense alone.

191958[/snapback]

Agreed. At least you are paying attention to something.

I said before the LSU game that we should win atleast 1 of the big games and take care of the teams that we are supposed to beat.  Even though we have improved from the Georgia Tech game, I still see some areas of concern.  The kicking game has got to get better.  When we get inside of the redzone, that should be points, whether it's 7 or 3.  It's gotten to where we can't rely on our kicker to get us points in the redzone.

If we do not win atleast 1 of the last two and can't take care of the teams that we are supposed to beat, then Tuberville needs to make some changes.  I'm not saying that he needs to be fired, but he needs to make some changes on the coaching staff.  Right now, I do not have any confidence in David Gibbs.  If things don't get better, and we don't do the things that we should, it might be a good idea to let him go at the end of the season.

191958[/snapback]

Those calling for Gibbs dismissal display their lack of insight into the coaching staff. TT is the real defensive coach and he openly says that. He said before the season started that it didn't matter who the DC was, Chizik or Gibbs, we would be running his (TT's) defensive schemes. All he wants is for the DC to be someone he can work with. It's no secret that TT and Chizik were having some differences last year and so Chizik took advantage of the Texas offer for a lateral move. I'm not calling for TT's dismissal, just stating facts.

I'm hoping the kicking game breakdown was a one-time deal and JV can get it straightened out ASAP. I'm not trying to be Mr. Sunshine here but a positive spin would be to recall the graphic they showed a couple of times during the game about AU's success in the red zone this season. Yes, those numbers took a huge blow but if I'm not mistaken, I believe coming in, AU had scored on something like 29 out of 30 red zone trips. Need a "Stat" fix here. :D

We gave up 149 yards rushing and less than 200 yards passing. We held LSU to 4 of 15 in 3rd down conversions. The defense gave up 10 points in regulation and held LSU to a FG in OT.

1) Auburn is #2 in the SEC in points per game with allowing 12 #4 in the nation.

2) #3 in yards given up per game #8 in the nation

3) #1 in Passing yards given up per game #5 in the nation

I disagree with you statments although I think that they could be better in stopping the run. They are ranked 6th in hte SEC and about 30 in the nation in yards allowed rushing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/stats/byteam...=2005&sort=1108

The Auburn DEFENSE gave up ONE td to a very talented lsWHO offense at their place.

Not too shabby at all. So, what is it that Coach Gibbs needs to prove to powerI?

I must have missed SOMETHING. :lol::lol::lol::poke:

The Auburn DEFENSE gave up ONE td to a very talented lsWHO offense at their place.

Not too shabby at all. So, what is it that Coach Gibbs needs to prove to powerI?

I must have missed SOMETHING. :lol:   :lol:   :lol:   :poke:

191982[/snapback]

Well, everytime we scored to go ahead, LSU walked right down the field and scored to go back ahead. I would expect our defense to make a stand, which it didn't.

191982[/snapback]

Well, everytime we scored to go ahead, LSU walked right down the field and scored to go back ahead. I would expect our defense to make a stand, which it didn't.

191992[/snapback]

That still doesn't warrant your pessimism and belief that he should possibly be let go at season's end. It was a stellar performance against a very talented team at their place. They gave up 10 pts in regulation and only a FG in OT when the offense was basically spotted in the red zone to start.

PowerI, I'm more convinced than ever that you really don't understand very much about football and just talk to hear yourself talk.

PowerI, I'm more convinced than ever that you really don't understand very much about football and just talk to hear yourself talk.

191998[/snapback]

I second that!

PowerI, if you were to look at the overall stats for this defense as compared to last seasons, you would see they are neck and neck....not too much difference in the two. I'd say that Coach Gibbs has done a pretty decent job so far. Personally, I would love to see more aggressive schemes (I love to blitz) but I can't honestly sit here and gripe when we have a top-10 ranked defense.

191982[/snapback]

191992[/snapback]

Why don't you compare it to last year's defense. Look at the difference in Gibb's defense as opposed to Chizik's defense. It's a big difference. We did the same thing against a mediocre Georgia Tech team.

I'm hoping the kicking game breakdown was a one-time deal and JV can get it straightened out ASAP.  I'm not trying to be Mr. Sunshine here but a positive spin would be to recall the graphic they showed a couple of times during the game about AU's success in the red zone this season.  Yes, those numbers took a huge blow but if I'm not mistaken, I believe coming in, AU had scored on something like 29 out of 30 red zone trips.  Need a "Stat" fix here. :D

191970[/snapback]

We average 34.4 ppg

we give up 12.00 ppg

Red zone O is still best in SEC....30 out of 34, with 23 TDs...scoring total of 88.2%

Coming in we were 28 out of 30, 22 TDs.

With LSU ahving trouble out of FGs also, I wonder how much the wind did factor in. Seemed like JV had pleanty of leg on the kicks, except for one that came up short, on the 54 yarder I think?? After missing the first two, he was thinking too much about how he was kicking and not just kicking it, if that makes sense. :blink:

Why don't you compare it to last year's defense.  Look at the difference in Gibb's defense as opposed to Chizik's defense.  It's a big difference.  We did the same thing against a mediocre Georgia Tech team.

192072[/snapback]

Ok, genious, I will. And once again, you are shown to be one who talks before he thinks.

2004 Auburn Tiger Defense (through seven games)

Rushing Yds. 731

Rush yds per game 104.4

Passing Yds. 1108

Pass Yds per game 158.3

Total Yds per game 262.7

Points given up per game 9.14

(for the season)

Rush yds per game 104.4

Pass yds per game 173.5

Total Yds per game 277.7

Points per game 11.3

2005 Auburn Tiger Defense (through seven games)

Rushing Yds 835

Rush Yds per game 119.3

Passing Yds 1107

Pass Yds per game 158.1

Total Yds per game 277.4

Pts per game 11

Now, I didn't count the PR in the LSU game against the defense and I don't think anyone took one all the way back in 2004 against us. And I left in all the gimme points from the GT game from turnovers in our territory, but the number don't lie. Where the "big difference" Sourpuss? They actually are very close through seven games and slightly better compared to all of last season. And we lost two starters in the secondary, one of which was a shutdown corner taken in the first round.

Stop talking before your reputation is beyond repair PowerI.

Those calling for Gibbs dismissal display their lack of insight into the coaching staff. TT is the real defensive coach and he openly says that. He said  before the season started that it didn't matter who the DC was, Chizik or Gibbs, we would be running his (TT's) defensive schemes. All he wants is for the DC to be someone he can work with. It's no secret that TT and Chizik were having some differences last year and so Chizik took advantage of the Texas offer for a lateral move. I'm not calling for TT's dismissal, just stating facts.

191966[/snapback]

Exactly... CTT is a defensive minded coach, and that is why over the past several years we have had excellent defenses. CTT isn't going to hire a DC that isn't going to do a good job. Gibbs is young and is having to replace Carlos and Junior, and that's no easy thing to do, and I'd say that so far we've done pretty darn well. Dismissing him would be asinine after one season, especially considering the stats.

It just seems to me that the momentum was in our favor after we had scored on fourth down and that the defense would step up and stop the LSU offense. Last year we did. We went down and scored and LSU had enough time to go down the field and kick a field goal, but we stopped them. Why couldn't we stop them this year?

It just seems to me that the momentum was in our favor after we had scored on fourth down and that the defense would step up and stop the LSU offense.  Last year we did.  We went down and scored and LSU had enough time to go down the field and kick a field goal, but we stopped them.  Why couldn't we stop them this year?

193038[/snapback]

Its just the way the marbles hit the ground bud. Plain and simple. I dont blame defensive coaching here, I blame player execution. If you noticed, on that play action LSU had for a TD....our safety bit on that play like a rabid dog. He came up so fast to stop the run, then POW, a pass over his head for a touchdown.

Gibbs and Tuberville have provided a great defense this year, just look at the stats...they speak for themselves. You cant always blame a coach for a lack of player execution. I believe Tuberville and his staff did everything in their power to provide a great gameplan....Had our receivers not dropped passes, had we made those kicks, etc...then we would be sitting on a big fat W right now.

On another note, I always notice when a rb doesnt do too well, or some WRs drop some balls...people go right off and blame the coaching for it. Well....coaching can only get you so far, execution is the other half.

It just seems to me that the momentum was in our favor after we had scored on fourth down and that the defense would step up and stop the LSU offense.  Last year we did.  We went down and scored and LSU had enough time to go down the field and kick a field goal, but we stopped them.  Why couldn't we stop them this year?

193038[/snapback]

Because LSU's offense is slightly more experienced than last year, the game was on their turf (don't have to deal with a jacked up JH crowd in their ears) and we don't have a shutdown corner anymore? Seems reasonable to me. Certainly more reasonable than just declaring that our defense (and DC) was much better last year without basing that opinion in facts.

Archived