Special Teams Coaching

WaDE'05

I believe it has become apparent that we are in desperate need of a true special teams coach. Eddie Gran has obviously done a superb job with the running backs. I dont think you can come close to arguing that, but last saturday we gave up 22 pts to special teams. 22 points! That is huge considering what are record is when we score 20 points in a game or better yet 30. For the sake of argument I will dismiss the 50+ yrd FG attempt. I think everyone in orange and blue knows that is well out of vaughns range. (strangely enough it was the only kick all night that he centered, just didnt have enough leg.) That still leaves 19 points. 16 at the worst. Are there NCAA Rules as to how many coaches can be on the sideline? Is it just impossible to have a fully committed special teams coach on staff. I'm sure after that game there are a lot of people that would gladly pay his salary. And on top of this, there were kids playing on special teams Sat. night that I was shocked to see had even travelled with the team. I'm all for getting kids playing time, but there were a ton of names on the backs of jersey's that really suprised me. Of course I'm not at practice everyday, so what do I know? I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if you out rush a team, out pass a team, and don't turn the ball over, you should win the game. Would someone please tell me the logic behind AU not having a special teams coach.

I agree and am sure the coaches will address this issue. Ironically, our DS and kicker was not allowed to warm up prior to each kick outside the players box. LSU was allowed to do so. This may have affected his accuracy somewhat. In any event it was terrible sportsmanship.

Archived