Herby just gave CTT some love

AUesquire

Watching VT and BC and Dirk Nerdstreet just addressed CTT's comments. He basically said he talked to Tubby this afternoon and said while he vented against ESPN, his frustrations are really aimed at the system. Said CTT is just upset that it may happen again to someone like VT or an SEC team. Turk also alluded to how wrong it would be to have an SEC team get the shaft again.

Pretty good stuff, I thought. It kind of calmed the controversy a bit. Look, I think CTT was frustrated and he made his point. I back him 100% and I'm glad he said what he said. But, I'm gonna' be honest here. I want it to die down and the controversy fade away. Taking on ESPN is a no win situation. He got it out in the open. Move on. I'm glad Herbstreet said what he did tonight.

Agreed. But don't you think ESPN and every sports radio show in the US is privately whooping it up? They have had something controversial to keep the tongues wagging all week.

Agreed.  But don't you think ESPN and every sports radio show in the US is privately whooping it up?  They have had something controversial to keep the tongues wagging all week.

193180[/snapback]

I don't know, Dan Patrick had a guy on from SI, and he basically agreed with Tuberville. Listening to a sports radio show in Phoenix this week, they said that they thought what Tuberville said was true. I think more people agree with Tubs than not.

I think CTT has done a wonderful job of getting our minds off the loss to LSU and fan pressure off the team.

He has done this before.

I heard Kirk's comments about Tuberville, but in the same breath he started in on EXACTLY what CTT was complaining about; ESPN talking about UT and USC as pre-ordained for the NC game, and that no one else had any shot. The words he used for the situation and the polls are incredible "don't worry about the polls, it will all work out in the end, USC will be #1 and Texas will be #2" Everytime a talking head from ESPN says those words, it sways those voters, probably on the fence, trying to do some honest analysis for the other Top 6 to 8 teams in the country. ESPN should never say so directly how the teams are going to finish, it is not pre-ordained. They should instead be offering up a fair and balanced analysis on what all of the Top teams need to do to prove themselves worthy of being considered one of the Top 2 teams in the country; not do as Kirk did last night, point out how tough a schedule VT has coming up compared to Texas's lightweight schedule, but then say in the same sentence, "but VT has no shot to overtake Texas." The voters should decide, not the talking heads on ESPN that are dying to see USC and Texas; that's what CTT complained about.

Agreed.  But don't you think ESPN and every sports radio show in the US is privately whooping it up?  They have had something controversial to keep the tongues wagging all week.

193180[/snapback]

I don't know, Dan Patrick had a guy on from SI, and he basically agreed with Tuberville. Listening to a sports radio show in Phoenix this week, they said that they thought what Tuberville said was true. I think more people agree with Tubs than not.

193202[/snapback]

You are right. Tubs has got support on lots of other school's forums, e-mails of support from all over the county, and calls from several other coaches. Thanks Tubs for having the guts to speak out and not back off. :cheer:

I think CTT has done a wonderful job of getting our minds off the loss to LSU and fan pressure off the team.

He has done this before.

193203[/snapback]

It also elevates his national image as one of leaders/spokesmen among Division 1-A coaches in the eyes of potential recruits.

...not to mention the fact that he's right!

"Taking on ESPN is a no win situation."

Isn't that Coach Tuberville's point? ....ESPN has too much power.

I read somwhere today on another board that Spurrier has come out and supported Tubervilles statements.

Who can blame him either. Corso has sat there on multiple times and told fans that USC can not be competitive for the SEC title because they are South Carolina. All those HS athletes watch the gameday stuff, imagine if your Spurrier trying to recruit there and you got Corso saying you will never have a chance if you got to South Carolina.

I read somwhere today on another board that Spurrier has come out and supported Tubervilles statements.

Who can blame him either.  Corso has sat there on multiple times and told fans that USC can not be competitive for the SEC title because they are South Carolina. All those HS athletes watch the gameday stuff, imagine if your Spurrier trying to recruit there and you got Corso saying you will never have a chance if you got to South Carolina.

193325[/snapback]

Got a link? Would love to see that.

I heard Kirk's comments about Tuberville, but in the same breath he started in on EXACTLY what CTT was complaining about; ESPN talking about UT and USC as pre-ordained for the NC game, and that no one else had any shot.  The words he used for the situation and the polls are incredible "don't worry about the polls, it will all work out in the end, USC will be #1 and Texas will be #2"  Everytime a talking head from ESPN says those words, it sways those voters, probably on the fence, trying to do some honest analysis for the other Top 6 to 8 teams in the country.  ESPN should never say so directly how the teams are going to finish, it is not pre-ordained.  They should instead be offering up a fair and balanced analysis on what all of the Top teams need to do to prove themselves worthy of being considered one of the Top 2 teams in the country; not do as Kirk did last night, point out how tough a schedule VT has coming up compared to Texas's lightweight schedule, but then say in the same sentence, "but VT has no shot to overtake Texas."  The voters should decide, not the talking heads on ESPN that are dying to see USC and Texas; that's what CTT complained about.

193210[/snapback]

You hit the nail on the head as to why this is such a big issue. In trying to "smooth" things out turdstreets comments just did exactly what he was saying didn't need to happen..He even said the system was flawed and a plus one system was needed. I think it runs more than that to where a plus one is installed to handle the times when there are 3 undefeateds, but what about when there are 4 or more that finish undefeated, whether or not they are major conference teams or not. The Utahs, Marshall, or Boise States they may pop up from time to time should be given the opportunity. IMO. Not that I think Utah of last year would have hung with our 2004 Tiger team,b ut give 'em a chance to prove it!!!

Who can blame him either.  Corso has sat there on multiple times and told fans that USC can not be competitive for the SEC title because they are South Carolina. All those HS athletes watch the gameday stuff, imagine if your Spurrier trying to recruit there and you got Corso saying you will never have a chance if you got to South Carolina.

193325[/snapback]

Got a link? Would love to see that.

193327[/snapback]

Trying to find it, the board I saw it on I can't access at home... something to do with security settings or something on my home browser and I'm not cpu intelligent enough to fix it.

It was posted by a GameCock fan though, don't think it had a link but Spurrier either said it in a radio bite or news bite for television.

It was on radio, here is someone talking about it:

on the call in show. He and Todd were taking their  rive Around the SEC" and the subject of Turbeville was discussed.

Long story short, OBC agreed that networks (read ESPN) AND the so-called analysts have too much power....especially on recruiting. Spurrier said he did NOT LIKE some people on the networks talking about how wonderful it is to play at X school. And, some "experts' (read Corsux) talking about how you can't win at school Y (read Carolina). SOS said "these guys need to get out of the recruiting business" and just deal with the particular game their discussing. Coach said that comments like you hear from Corsux can have an effect on recruits mindset.

http://mb26.scout.com/fsouthcarolina19141f...cID=37178.topic

Hope that is qouted and linked right, sorry mods if not. Not sure the protocal for quoting a fan off a message board is in regards to some of these sites.

Archived